Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Mrs STR thought I only had one bike….
  • When asking if I wanted any tea. I said just a bit of pasta as I’m biking tonight.

I thought your bike was broke (in kitchen with forks removed).

No, I have 2

Oh does that one work?

Now considering I spent half the summer riding the one she didn’t know worked, I’m sure I’m missing a trick here. How can I make this work for me?

scaredypants

it already works – FFS, you’re as bad as your wife

Northwind

My brother asked to borrow my bike for a ride in the hills with his mates. I said, sure, which one do you want? He said, oh, you’ve got more than one? I said, yeah, remember, we went on a ride together and you borrowed one of mine and I rode another one? He said, oh. Yeah, I’ll take the one I rode before.

On the day, I get a call… He’s halfway up the hills and isn’t sure he’s on the same bike as last time, it seems a bit harder to ride. Is it the grey one, I say? No, it’s the blue one. He’d walked past the hardtail he rode before, and taken my 224 out for an xc ride!

Clearly we are not actually related.

NormalMan

N + 1 time.

I’d say you’d better get another one ‘just in case’ / ‘seeing as one has broken already’ 😉

honourablegeorge

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    When asking if I wanted any tea. I said just a bit of pasta as I’m biking tonight.

I thought your bike was broke (in kitchen with forks removed).

That was the point where you should have said “Yes, I really should get a second one”

imnotverygood

Every so often I casually check that Mrs verygood knows how many bikes I have. Sadly she is aware what this means and maintains an accurate inventory in her head 🙁

lucien

Are they the same colour?

chiefgrooveguru

On the day, I get a call… He’s halfway up the hills and isn’t sure he’s on the same bike as last time, it seems a bit harder to ride. Is it the grey one, I say? No, it’s the blue one. He’d walked past the hardtail he rode before, and taken my 224 out for an xc ride!

This is awesome. 🙂

D0NK

Just asked the mrs how many bikes I had – she overestimated, who knew she had heard of n+1 🙂

muddy247
    Free Member

I’ve just built my winter hardtail up- stripped my Orange and used all components but forks- Santa felt the need to deliver some shiny forks for the hardtail. Mrs Mudd knows all this but seemed surprised when I told her I need to buy new wheels/drivetrain/brakes/bars etc to rebuild the Blood!
    Oh yeh and the potential new paint job went down well!

tymbian
    Free Member

Told my OH i was thinking of selling my bike ( BFe ) and getting a full suss.
    Her response was ” where’s the logic in selling a bike and using the money to buy…..a bike?

peabrain
    Free Member

Hilarious. I have 4 bikes. I am the wife 😀

My poor husband has 0 at the moment, though he is looking for a new road bike. Luckily he seems to understand my habit and surprises me occasionally with a new bike…

gozarch
    Free Member

We’re on four each at the moment, and I’m the wife!

brakes
    Free Member

My lovely wife doesn’t care as long as they’re not in the house and that I’m not out riding them…

mcnultycop

My missus thinks I’ve got one more than I have. I got my Scandal frame and replaced my old Trek 4500 but they seem to count as 2 bikes, even though I sold the Trek frame. Hopefully this means when I do eventually get to 4 bikes I can sell an imaginary bike and still be at 4.

Bregante

My lovely wife doesn’t care as long as they’re not in the house and that I’m not out riding them..

I Think our wives are related brakes….

ads678

My wife doesn’t understand that you NEED a different bike for different types of riding. I am gradually wearing her down about the imminent road bike purchase though!!

grtdkad

Shush boys, apparently there are ‘wives’ on here.

Anyhow if there is overestimation going on does that not mean a green flag for obtaining another?

imnotverygood

…errr I rather think it does.. If you see an opportunity you take it.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – you had the opportunity; you blew it, I’m afraid. 😥

No, I have 2 3

lunge

I was adamant my wife didn’t know how many bikes I had, and I was sure she thought I had only 1 road bike. Right up until a conversation along the lines of
    Me “I’m off out on my bike now”
    Her “which one”
    Me “the road bike”
    Her “which one”
    Me “err”
    Her “the old one or the new one I saw in the garage”
    Me “errrrrrr….”

Thankfully I managed to successfully justify the new winter road bike that had been spotted. As she said, it’s your money, as long as you can pay the mortgage…

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ha Ha… i have been tidying up my garage and my better half asked me if I was clearing a space for a new one because ‘its about that time of year’. Did she not notice the BFe I just built?

she know too much.

Marge
    Free Member

There are worse ways for her to find out..
    We had the workshop broken into & the thieves took my 2 best bikes.

Not only did my lady not know how many bikes I had, she didn’t know how much they were worth so it wasn’t a very pretty conversation. I was tempted to ask the policeman to stay around for a while 😉

onehundredthidiot

At the moment the winter road bike I’m riding is the hers, she’s on her winter road bike and the summer roadie is tucked away her mtb is running well tho. I think I have 1 more mtb than her.(maybe a couple of frames that could be built).

We have a big garage.

boltonjon

Brilliant thread as i’m in the midsts of getting serious (ie moving in) with a woman for the first time in my 38 years

If i start with 5 bikes then that gives me a lot of opportunity to swap, change & add as i feel fit…

Or will i be asked to trim the collection down….

This could be another sleepness night worrying….

mrhoppy

Had to admit to the cost of my Bandit last night as swmbo was renewing the house insurance and wanted to put the bikes on specifically so her new one would be covered properly. 🙁

tonyg2003

We’re into double figures of bikes together. For quite a while MrsG had the most expensive one.

She bought me a N+1 t-shirt last Xmas so she knows the scale of my habit 🙂

And as I write this at work, she’s out on her bike 🙁

bigdaddy

I have 3, she knows I have 3. I NEED a 4th, but can see no way of getting it past her. I NEED the other 3 too. No ‘spare’ cash hidden away, and nowhere to keep it that she won’t see it 🙁 I was clever enough to marry a very astute woman, who knows me inside out and seems to know even when I start to even dream of a new bike. (She probably knows I’m writing this!…)

bookwyse
    Free Member

Mine

Sabbath ti road bike
    Scott cr1 pro carbon road bike
    Ribble tt bike
    Colnago steel summer bike
    Marin mountain bike

Hers
    Planet X carbon road bike
    Be one ail road bike
    Muddy fox bso road bike set up on the turbo
    Trax bso / boat anchor
    Voodoo mountain bike
    Voodoo hybrid
    Plus the kids bikes.

And yet I’m the one that covers more miles and she says has a problem with bikes!!!!!

clubber
    Free Member

I used to work with a guy who was mad on bikes but I really mean ‘bikes’, not ‘cycling’ or ‘riding bikes’.

He had about 50-60 last I saw him – they were in his garage which his wife wasn’t really allowed in. He was a nice guy but a bit odd…

So basically he’d buy bikes that interested him – odd suspension designs, folders, whatever but he rarely actually rode them – maybe round the block but nothing more than that. Once we managed to persuade him to ride the 6 or so miles to work – it nearly killed him – we spent a lot of the day helping him recover with tea and cakes.

Only 6 or so bikes for me (plus 2 for Mrs Clubber) though I have started to stockpile them elsewhere – my inlaws so that I have a bike to ride when we’re there 🙂 I’m looking forward to my kids getting on board with bikes too

Dyffers
    Free Member

A couple of years ago my better half had a moan that I’d made it up to 9 bikes.

Fair enough I thought, so I sold one. The one that got used least. Her one and only bike, that hadn’t been ridden for 18 months. 😀

Went down well. 😕

amedias
    Free Member

my OH keeps over-estimating how many we have by 2-3, she seems convinced that un built frames ‘count’ where as I say it doesn’t unless it has wheels and is ridable. I also make her count mine and hers separately so it doesn’t seem as bad 🙂

She also has a habit of sending me ebay and gumtree links with ‘interested?’ when she spots something she thinks I might like at a good price!

kuman
    Free Member

When I bought my third bike just before Christmas I told my wife I will be getting rid of one of the old ones after new year as I only need two. I lied I’m keeping all three. 🙂

peabrain
    Free Member

I am also encouraging the habit in the young ones. The littlest had 4 bikes when he was still 2…

Dyffers
    Free Member

I am also encouraging the habit in the young ones. The littlest had 4 bikes when he was still 2…

Ditto. My lad turns 1 next week and already has a trike and an On One (although at the moment he still needs me to pedal the Inbred for him 😉 )

D0NK

she seems convinced that un built frames ‘count’

of course they don’t if it’s in bits it not a bike, it’s spare parts, it’s good economic sense to keep spares. Taking the wheels off and declaring it “spares” would be kind of taking the piss tho.

eltonerino
    Free Member

Limited by storing bikes at the in-laws until we move. We both have 1 bike, but if I move the handlebars and leavers I can ride her bike (a 13″ Kona Shred) but she’ll know that they have moved, even when I put them back in the same place. Other than the breaks and shifters, it’s a better bike than mine.

I’m thinking about n+1 for when we finally get moved.

Defender
    Free Member

Bradley, on a home run on home turf, 01-08-2012, magic!

rOcKeTdOg

My OH has more bikes than me & is planning a “posher” road bike this spring, it’s hell!

toby1

My wife jokes about the number of bikes I have, but she doesn’t really care, we live very well and have money for the sensible things as well as the fun things.

She also has 3 rideable bikes at the moment too although one of those is on loan from a friend – slowlying winning her over to the idea of her having a road style commuter rather then the weighty step through she got last time round, drop bars are the next step as the borrowed Giant Rapid and it’s increased pace has been welcomed.

Loving the comments from the ‘wives’ on here who are into biking – good work ladies!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Mrs STR thought I only had one bike….’ is closed to new replies.