Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MPV suggestions (sorry)
  • luked2
    Free Member

I’m thinking of replacing my trusty Ford Galaxy Mk2. It’s 10 years old and 107k miles.

I’ve got a budget of around £10k.

What does the STW collective suggest?

Needs to be able to hold 4 growing children (one taller than me) and bikes, so things like a Zafira are out.

One of my children suggested we just get a bike like the Goodies had, but for 6. Could that work instead?

As MPV’s go, I quite like the look of the Ford S-Max – never been in, or driven one mind you, so purely aesthetically.

pacemaker
    Free Member

I’m on my second New shape Galaxy, the first one was faultless covering 140K+ in 26 months, only needing a clutch at 120k (It is a work vehicle carrying heavy loads daily)

The second one now has 40k on it, and it has had new clutch, gearbox and loads of other things!

They are the same car as the Smax (we also use them on our fleet) and they are rapid enough, comfortable and nice to drive.

We are now replacing the Fords (due to clutch issues on most of the newer fleet, below 60k!)with the new VW Sharans, which i hope were better than the previous vw’s we ran a few year ago.

DickBarton

S-Max is good as a family bus…fine for biking duties if you cart the bikes externally as the internal space (although huge) isn’t very tall, so unless you remove wheels and saddle/seatposts you won’t get many bikes in (I’m using my 18.5″ full sus 120mm travel bike as a guide – my wife’s Stumpy FSR D4W fits with just front wheel removed – but I think that is a 15″ or 16″ frame).

It drives well, great visibility, higher driving position but it feels like a large car. Ours has been very reliable and I’d have another (not that that is much of a recommendation – I’m a family of 3 – me, wife and daughter so space requirements aren’t the same as the OPs).

Lummox

mazda 5

sliding rear doors

factory fitted 5 + occasional 2 seats

roof rails

nice driving position

1.8ts2 is what we’ve got and it’s a cracking little wagon, with seats in the back collapsed it’ll happily swallow bikes (not allowed in the pride of the fleet) they might even fit by just sliding the rears forward on their rails.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Renault Espace
    Had mine from new for 5 years and very happy. No problems at all, comfy and quiet.

superfli
    Free Member

Not sure if its big enough, but I’m liking our Honda FRV. 6 full/proper seats and tall eoungh to take bikes with their seats lowered. Try and get the 2.2 diesel, as the 2.0 petrol is pretty juicy (30mpg)

I wanted something reliable so got a Jap car. I would have considered the Toyota Verso, but it was too big for us, maybe not for you though.

midlifecrashes

You really want full size seats for 6/7 then S-max is OK but Grand Espace, Grand Caravan, 807, Galaxy and all the van varints are where it’s at.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I have an 09 Galaxy 20.TDCi. Cracking car, stick the seats down and you have van-like space, chauffer-wagon for the kids and their mates when needed, nice to drive (albeit power-steering far too soft so hard to hussle through the twisties, not that that’s what it’s meant for), and cheap to run. £10k will get you an early, higher mileage one, still a damn good car though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MPV suggestions (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.