Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MP3 player for car – alternative to old ipod classic?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

The battery’s died on my old Classic, which was only used hooked up to my car stereo – what’s a good alternative? Guess I could just play in a 64gb usb stick loaded with music, but the navigation on the stereo itself is pretty poor, so the display on the ipod was always pretty useful.

Does anyone make a car stereo with built in storage or SSD?

geoffj

Replace battery in iPod?

Phone + auxin or bluetooth? Any single din stereo is going to be a ball ache for music navigation.

z1ppy

My iphone 3G, seems the best use for it, pick one up for peanuts… though the batteries will probably have started to fade, but why have you not got your ipod charging via the lighter socket?

bails

I was in a similar situation century and bought a Sony NWZ-A15 and stuck a 64gb SD card in it:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3435098/searchTerm/Sony+mp3.htm

Battery life is excellent and it shows up as a USB device so transferring music is easy. That said, the don’t software is actually pretty good, certainly causes less hassle than iTunes used to. My only complaint is you can’t make an on the go playlist, but the iPod way of doing that was already loads worse than my old Creative Zen’s ‘add to now playing’ button. Oh, and there isn’t a shuffle albums option either, you either shuffle individual songs or you play them in order.

Edit: i like having physical buttons because I can skip a song without taking my eyes off the road. I wouldn’t pick up a touchscreen device and be trying to turn the screen on, unlock it and find the skip button while driving.

CountZero

Why does the dead battery make a difference in the car? Isn’t the connection to the head unit powering the Classic instead of its internal battery’s? And if not, why not? A standard Apple cable, 32-pin>USB into the head unit should be keeping the Classic powered, it does mine, and the old Nano I keep in the dash slot under the radio, and my iPhone when it’s being used as a satnav.
    An alternative to the Classic is the Fiio, the X5 takes two MicroSDXC cards, current firmware allows a pair of 128Gb cards, but future updates will allow 512Gb cards, giving a bit over a terrabite total storage.

gwaelod
    Free Member

there is a Fiio x1 as well for £99 that I’ve got my eye on. No idea if it will play nicely with the USB/ICE Display/controls on my renault though like iPods do.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

The dead battery means it takes 15 mins to come to life, even after being plugged into a 12v supply.

stayhigh

Sansa Clip holds a 32gb micro sd card, has physical buttons for easy skipping & shuffles all music in library.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Not got it open then?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MP3 player for car – alternative to old ipod classic?’ is closed to new replies.