Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Monday Night Pub Ride – Feb 9th – The Quest for Snow : Part 2
  • Harry_the_Spider

Following last week’s fun and games we are looking for the white powder again. This time in Darwen.

The Sunnyhurst
    Tockholes Road,
    Darwen
    BB3 1JX

8:15 blast off
    Bring money for beer

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I’m in. Until I’m out.

dazh

The weather forecast suggests we’ll be back to bog-trotting again by Monday. I’m in as long as I don’t add to the injury list over the weekend.

horridge
    Free Member

Snow or Mud, I’ll be there. Unless of course it’s raining and windy.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Unless it rains before Monday evening (and none is currently forecast) then this will be a mainly dry ride! The trails up on Darwen Moor are generally hard packed and we will stay up high.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

doubt i can make it, i’m on call until 8 next week so can’t get up that way in time.

ruddy
    Free Member

I’m in.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Plenty of down hill this week… 😉

Not much time for any mechanicals either…!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Steady now that is 10 miles riding there

wittonweavers
    Free Member

haha – this last week we only managed 9.9 KM never mind miles!

Plenty of places to reassess and shorten / lengthen the ride if necessary…

Will you be joining us Junkyard?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cannot make Monday rides rule but I have a window of opportunity pencilled in for the last week in May and first week in june…….not taking the piss there just cannot make Monday nights sadly.

gixer71109
    Free Member

I’m up for it.

Barry

jonnym92

If last nights conditions are anything to go by be careful up top.

Stepback is pretty much unrideable with sheet ice across the pathway most of the way up. Mostly where the path is in the shade.

Long sloping front descent is better though quite a bit of ice about half way down.. seems fine at the top so I stupidly pressed on and skidded off track once I hit it.

Not sure what Lyons Den is like but drainage is usually better on that path.

binners

Im in

Bregante

I’m in

duncancallum

I’m in.

Just got back from the Staines so might be a bit below par!

Bregante

And now….

I’m out 🙁

Had to change shifts to a late today so I’ll be stuck at work til 11. On the plus side I’ve got the morning off now.

dazh

Bump.

I’m still in. Can’t refuse the promise of a dry ride 🙂

binners

Daz – you daft sod! You’ve said the words ‘dry ride’. Expect the monsoon at approximately 8.10pm

dazh

I’m also expecting it to be completely puncture free 😀

binners

Oh christ!

*packs 3 extra tubes*

duncancallum

I’m so tired could do with a Lance Armstrong’s patented pick up.

However as I’m out of EPO gallons of coffee are in order

scaled
    Free Member

I’m absolutely shagged, but know that if i come out I won’t be able to sleep when I get home.

Harry_the_Spider

The sky is beginning to bruise.

binners

Scaled – that’s why God invented whisky! 😀

Am I going to have company at the back tonight then?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Am I going to have company at the back tonight then?

Absolutely!

Harry_the_Spider

For various tedious reasons I’m out.

Regards,

Susan

robj20
    Free Member

Have fun, i’m just getting to the point where i can ride up a hill without collapsing.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

robj20 – you really will fit in well…

dazh

Just got home to the kids screaming and shouting at each other, sobbing, tantrums, etc. The sooner I’m back out of this madhouse the better 🙂 I’ll see the few who haven’t jibbed in an hour or so…

brennak

Still not able for it, but look forward later to reading tales of daring do in tonights heatwave, hope there’s no mechanicals, punctures, a great time is had by all and the pub has pies and crisps with fine ale.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well i’m back at work for the evening now, so definitely not gonna make it!

dazh

hope there’s no mechanicals

Quiet week this week. Only broken forks and cranks falling off. Puncture free though as I predicted.

Quite a hilly one tonight. And the mud with the consistency of partially set cement made the flat bits feel like hills, so all round quite a tough one.

Top marks to the Sunnyhurst for a pint of stout of a quality not seen on a MNPR since the last visit to the Masons Arms.

binners

Bloody hell that was hard going! A couple of weeks of frozen trails and SNOWMAGEDON and then back to normal winter service. Riding through porridge. Nice to ride Darwen again though. Not been up there for far too long!

duncancallum

Another top ride out chaps.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Yes i enjoyed that last night.

9 of us out – good number and well below the threshold of 13 when rides become prone to mechanicals… not! After some cracking rides over the past few weeks this was back to normal winter riding but it still beats sitting at home in front of the telly.

Daz’s bike pretty much self destructed and worryingly Gaz’s arm fell of twice which tool a bit of fixing. Fortunately it was his crank arm.

As mentioned, all ice and snow had gone but it had turned the running surface into a thick paste that wasnt ideal and certainly very tiring even on the flatter bits.

Many thanks to Binners for admirably bringing up the rear – selflessly abandoning the need for speed to ensure that others weren’t dropped behind!

All topped off with a glorious pint of stout (with blackberry undertones) in The Sunnyhurst – and im not a big fan of stout!

Anyway – next weeks ride will take a bit of careful thought to try and stay on hard packed, well drained trails.Winter Hill was suggested last night (starting and ending at The Ainsworth Arms) but if there are any more suggestions?

Daz is also going to look at running a ride from Wardle in the coming weeks…

Strava

dazh

I had a thought about next week, what about Clayton Vale now that we’ve solved the ‘what pub’ conundrum?

And that stout was bloody marvellous. I’m half tempted to go back this weekend for another one.

duncancallum

How about the jolly crofters and the final in the bolton tower series Rivvy pike

wittonweavers
    Free Member

the final in the bolton tower series Rivvy pike

What exactly does that entail…?!

Oh i see, the series of rides that we have recently done up the various towers!

I thought for a minute you were entering us all in some sort of event!

duncancallum

I don’t want to be entered by anyone’s tower thank you very much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Monday Night Pub Ride – Feb 9th – The Quest for Snow : Part 2’ is closed to new replies.