Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Moving to the IOW but still working in Portsmouth. Why is it a bad move?
    Free Member

Hi!

We’re thinking of moving to the IOW, seems we can have a better pace of life than down in Southsea with a better standard of living.

Before I ring the letting agent, apart from relying on the cat’ or ferry, can anyone think of any reasons as to why it would be a bad idea?

My Fiance and I have some flexibility in our work, good lady more so than I but I could work from home if the weather was grim and the ferry / cat’ weren’t operating.

We need to rent tho.

Other than an increase in commuting costs and time, I am not sure (busy at work (he says on here)) and pretty excited about the prospect so perhaps not thinking so objectively.

cheers and a huge thanks in advance,
    Jonathan

trailmonkey

that whole southampton-portsmouth conurbation is the most depressingly grim part of the country in my experience. get out and stay out. i feel sorry for you that you’ve still got to work there.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I worked in Gosport for a while and a few people used to commute from the Island all the time. The only thing that bugged them was if they needed to get a bus to the ferry as they cost a fortune.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve worked with a fair few people who’ve done a similar commute (IoW to Portsmouth, IoW to Fareham, IoW to Cosham) and haven’t really heard them complain. Doesn’t tell you much I guess, except that it’s do-able 🙂
    [edit]The bloke who did IoW to Cosham biked it every day (to & from ferry, of course).

Free Member

Hi DezB, if i remember rightly you’re not too far away from these fair shores.

Cosham is pretty rubbish as a place to live (I liken it to Rotherham with a southern accent) but that’s where I work and until I get the qualifications I want, this is the career i’m staying in. And as my OH can’t just ‘get a job somewhere else’ we have to go where her work is, IT is IT pretty much wherever you are in the world!!

thanks for the helpful/useful comments trailmonkey.

cheers,
    JT

rob-jackson
    Free Member

IOW – how old are you tawny, get a grip man and move back to the north where you belong you big homo

TheBrick
    Free Member

Downsides are that your job options are geographically heavily restricted.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hi Johnathan (didn’t I buy some taps off you a couple of years ago?).
    I did this for 9 years up until last year.
    I lived in Ryde and worked in Gosport. So I would bike to the catamaran to Portsmouth then get the Gosport ferry across the harbour then cycle to work from there. Used to be able to get from home to work in under an hour.
    The cats run pretty much all the time, in bad weather the car ferry will stop at the pier in peak times, if the CAT is cancelled.
    A monthly season ticket for the CAT is around £170, although annual ones work out about 10% cheaper.
    Rental prices in Ryde are around £600-700 for a 3 bed semi per month.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info feel free to drop me an e-mail.
    Paul

Free Member

Hi, thanks again.

I believe you did Paul yes, I do hope said taps are still working well! 😉

The property we’ve seen is in Ryde and seems a fair price. The monthly pass seems fairly reasonable – thanks for that info though.

My job is in IT so geographic restrictions is moot. My Fiance’s job is restricted by the very nature of her work (unless you know someone recruiting a post ’45 historian??)

Would love to come back up North, but see ^^^ comments.

TheBrick
    Free Member

My job is in IT so geographic restrictions is moot.

I would not go with such a broad statement. Your area of IT may be lucky enough to be flexible but many others arn’t!

Free Member

Yeah, I’d agree with you TheBrick if I didn’t start with “My job” 😉 I’m also lucky enough to work for a company where ‘agile working'(!) is actively encouraged, however, I am required to be in the office quite a lot. I also needed to add that my skills are relatively transferable too, so I hopefully have a greater chance of employment elsewhere. (and a much greater chance once I eventually achieve further qualification!)

convert

I live in Petersfield now (did live in Porchester) and have a couple of colleges working in Petersfield who commute from IOW – one of them from Ventor. Seems mad to me!

My small concerns would be –

What about a car? Would you want one to get about the island, what about getting about the mainland at the weekends? Would you end up with two or have to suck up big car ferry costs every now and then?

Getting stuff delivered – often online places have a premium for the island similar to Highland Scotland deliveries. I guess a non issue if its small stuff and you have it delivered to work in Pompey.

Job mobility – would you end up staying longer in your job just because of the faff. Living on the mainland you (sounds like your OH is stuck) could get a job 10 miles up or down the coast without issue. But then again you are renting so have flexibility.

Leisure- IOW is great if you dig the 1960s and there is some riding to be had and pace of life is slower. But when it’s Sunday morning and you fancy doing something different to the usual could you really be arsed to leave the island?

TheBrick
    Free Member

‘agile working'(!) is actively encouraged

lucky bugger

bigyinn
    Free Member

jonathan, taps were taken with us when we moved, currently in the shed as spares!
    Wherabouts in Ryde is the property? (e-mail me if you like) might be able to give you some local pointers.
    Yes living on the island can be a bit restrictive. When I moved here from Glasgow 15 years ago, I did feel hemmed in for a couple of years. It depends whether or not city living is for you? I have to say, I wouldn’t want to move off the island unless a VERY big carrot was dangled in front of me.
    convert, 1960’s?? We’re in the 1980’s now maaaan. Besides isn’t Petersfield just gods waiting room (see I can generalise too :wink:), although in your favour your have the SDW and QEP on your doorstep.
    the riding on the island is good all year round and there’s plenty to be had (even if some of it is cheeky!).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

… because you can’t swim?

brassneck

All I can say is what line of IT, and do you have any infrastructure jobs going, as you might get a biking neighbour 😉

I’d love to live on IOW, and have actively considered what you’re about to do – I’d be wanting to stay in West Wight though which makes it more expensive and more hassle to commute from what I’ve learned – and realisitcally a job in Southampton or Portsmouth is my best bet, I doubt theres much call in Lymington…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I lived in West Wight for approx 5 years before moving over to Ryde and the riding is great, nice stuff right on your doorstep (10 mins from Alum Bay), but in winter it is pretty dead. I wouldnt want to commute from WW to Portsmouth / Southampton, as you’re looking at at least half an hours+ drive, then a ferry.
    From my perspective, the island is in a bit of a timewarp, but in a mostly good way. Crime and drugs are around, but its pretty minor on the whole and certainly not a major worry. Its a safe environment for kids too, which works for me as my son will be 5 this year.

If you’re a confirmed city dweller you’ll either get used to it or hate it.

aracer
    Free Member

Buy yourself a sea kayak and save on the cost of the ferry 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Wouldn’t recommend that, trying to dodge some of the big container ships in one of the busiest UK shipping lanes may be a bit “challenging”. 😆

aracer
    Free Member

It’s not like they’re hard to spot though, and the deepwater channel is less than a mile wide – can’t see the problem.

convert

When you have swum across it, a sea kayak would be luxury! Not sure about every day though!

Free Member

Any decent sea kayaking clubs on the IOW?

Swim across it? I can’t swim to the end of the pool (think epileptic dog on fire trying to put itself out and signal for help)

jt

bigyinn
    Free Member

On a fine calm day, yes no problem. What about on a squally day, limited visibility going against the tide???
    Anyway, we digress….

brassneck

A friend did kayak across from Hurst castle on a whim – if I recall right it didn’t take too long but it was a touch too sphincter tightening to repeat regularly, what with big ass ships bearing down on you and some bad currents/tidal action.

Taff
    Free Member

I had a colleague who lived on the isle. He had bikes on both sides for his commute but in general had no issues with it.

BigJohn

You’ll need 2 watches. One for real time, one wound back 30 years or so for IoW time.

Del

surely for an extra £340/month ( based on two of you getting tickets for the ferry/cat or whatever ) you could find a pretty swanky place to live on the mainland?

DezB
    Free Member

Cosham? I’ve just guessed – you work for IBM 🙂 (I used to live not half a mile from there and yes, it was bloody awful. Think “duelling banjos” everytime you go to the local shops.)
    But we were “downsizing” at the time..

bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 about Cosham, eurgh.

Free Member

How could you guess? 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Anyway, we digress….

On STW? How did that happen?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oooh Woolly Mammouth!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Moving to the IOW but still working in Portsmouth. Why is it a bad move?’ is closed to new replies.