Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Moving to Skipton, North Yorks
  • wadsy76
    Free Member

Hello

I am consdiering moving to the above. Work in Bradford so will train it in. I know the area as I went to college there many years ago but want a recent and up to date perspective. As I now have a wife and small family in tow….

Ta

wadsy76
    Free Member

bump

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why Skipton in particular?

In terms of bike riding, I think you will get more form your doorstep further down the valley in Bingley/Saltaire/Baildon

ianv
    Free Member

Good secondary schools
    Expensive commute as outside W Yorks subsidised rail travel

tomaso
    Free Member

My Yorkshire colleague advises that its a nice market town but lacks a decent cultural offer and that the immediate countryside isn’t all that but 5 miles out its stunning. He says the schools are good too.

domino

I live 2 miles out of Skipton and commute to Leeds daily. Nice town and surrounding villages, villages outside of the Yorkshire Dales National Park generally a little cheaper house price wise.

Schools have a good reputation, though I don’t have chilren (yet) to give specific recommendations. Currently expecting first baby so can say healthcare providers generally good, NHS Dentist often accepts new patients.

Riding wise, MTB straight from town with Flasby, Rylstone and Embsay Moors. We generally ride within the Dales most weekends, either MTB or road. Not far to Gisburn if you want to ride at a trail centre. Other local riding in the Aire Valley is good and not far to Calderdale and Lakes for something a bit steeper.

Train transport generally good and regular, we park for free near the station as I don’t find the village bus service that great for the trains.

New Cycle Club just formed, a Tri Club and a running club.

Anything else?

wadsy76
    Free Member

Thanks chaps – I have chosen Skipton as I know it and it is a nice normal town with good schools etc . I currently live in Ilkley and dislike it alot.

I am from and work in Bradford so do not want to live in Baildon, Saltaire etc. Just not for me.

TA again

molgrips
    Free Member

Say hi to my Auntie.

jamesco

Flamin Nora, thowt tha wo a new recruit to Gods own county, Ilkley ter Skipton, not exaccerly transcontinental like, kno worra meean ? 😆

grum
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what’s wrong with Ilkley?

domino

House prices more expensive in Ilkley than Skipton, especially if you want to live slightly out of town in a village – was where we originally wanted to move to but got more for our money. Better bike shop in ilkley too 🙂

wadsy76
    Free Member

I PERSONALLY have found Ilkley really unfriendly and so has my partner who is doing the whole mum group thing.

Its expensive for what it is. A rented house is considerably cheaper in other areas of yorkshire.

There is no Yorkshire folk living there. I bumped into a old friend in the park and she said that no one from Addingham or Ilkley lives there anymore as they cannot afford. This is not a dig at those that have moved from the south to Ilkley. But if thats what I wanted I would have stayed in Oxford where I was working.

johndoh
    Free Member

Isn’t Ilkley now the most expensive place to live outside of London?

AngusWells

Am I missing something? It’s ten miles from Ilkley to Skipton. Can you not jump on your bike, pop down there, have a look round and be back in time for tea?

wadsy76
    Free Member

Chief – Having a look around does NOT tell you what living there is like areas to avoid etc. I know the area. Wanting some local knowledge really.

AngusWells

Fair enough but you already know the area and you are close enough to gain the sort of information you want first hand from local people who really are not that very far away from you. Perhaps suggesting you pop down on the bike was a bit flippant, but a few visits to Skipton with your family should allow you to make some comparisons.

The Chief (I quite like that)

wadsy76
    Free Member

I think i aske on here as people into MTB are well rounded 😕

AlexSimon

I haven’t lived there for 14 years, but visit regularlyish.

The centre isn’t as nice as it was. Seems a bit ghost-townish imo but housing seems just as nice.

Gargrave Road, Raikes, etc were always nice and so were the schools. I went to Water Street Primary and then to Ermysted’s.

grum
    Free Member

I PERSONALLY have found Ilkley really unfriendly and so has my partner who is doing the whole mum group thing.

Fair enough, kind of what I suspected/have heard.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I work in Skipton, generally it’s a nice place with good town centre. Schools are excellent. People seem to be mostly good folk, low crime, not much trouble. Town centre is a bit rowdy on a Fri/Sat night, but not too bad. They have a fair few community things going on ie beer festival, Victorian market, sheep fancying etc (altho not as many as Otley has). like someone says, the train down the Aire Valley is bloody expensive, altho frequent (train stn is a bit out on a limb). Only downside I can think of, it’s an awkward place to live for driving anywhere south, but your probs used to that with Ilkley.
    as Alex says, a fair few shops have closed down due to the crazy high rents in Skipton, but it’s not a ghost town, yet!.

domino

Re train costs – its £161.70 for a monthly ticket to Leeds to give you an idea, sorry, not sure re Bradford. £10.10 per day. The Airedale and Wharfedale commuter lines are some of the busiest outside of the South East/London.

I don’t think Skipton is a ghost town, yes some shops have closed but new ones seem to constantly appearing too. Also some odd town council rules about no more tea rooms on ground floor level… something Costa and Cafe Nero fought in order to open.

Used the local council run pool last night for the first time since living there, and I was impressed.

cheese@4p

I used to live near Skipton. It is nice enough but not very lively. A bit of a cold fish of a town.

AlexSimon

not very lively

you should have seen The Waterfront and After Dark in their heyday!

erm of maybe not.

chojin
    Free Member

Don’t forget the pie shop by the river – cannae remember what it’s called though!

Wharfedale
    Free Member

They were the good old days. The two places you could combine fight club with a meat market.

I’ve live just outside skipton most of my life (Carleton and Embsay). It’s a pretty good town in fairness. Some good pubs. Good riding. Some great one way dales rides by jumping on the train and cycling back to skipton.

I worked in ilkley for 9 years and never really got into the place. Very much an all show kind of town. Lots of people trying to make out they have money & a few people with massive ammounts of money.

Drop me a mail if you want any more info (email in profile)

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Oh yeah and http://www.stanforthbutchers.co.uk/about/ They’ve won numereous pie awards over the years. A must try for anyone visiting.

I’ve forgotten how many jumper/tops & coats have been ruined with hot meaty, juicy pork pie goodness.

martinhutch

Probably best to whisper that. I implied it on another forum and got jumped on…safe to say that the two towns are pretty different in character IMO. Still like some aspects of Ilkley though.

I’ve lived in Skipton for five years or so now. Really like the place – not too big but all the services you need, traffic not too bad, decent access to most places either by train or road.

The only thing I think it lacks are a couple of decent family friendly pubs in town.

School choice – there are a number of decent primaries. Ofsted reports aren’t terribly helpful. I’d suggest visiting them if possible, before you decide which bit of town you’re interested in living in. Two very good grammar schools, and one good and one OK comprehensive within range.

MTBing wise obviously there are plenty of excellent rides you can start from the door, and easy access to a stack more if you’re driving. Gisburn is 25 minutes away by car. It’s easy enough to get back along to the Baildon/Bingley riding if you fancy that.

Happy to provide more specific info if you need it. I’ll stick my email on my profile.

wadsy76
    Free Member

Thanks Wharfedale and Martin. Local info is exactly what I wanted, as mine is circa after dark / waterfront 1994 – i remember scooter being played alot!!!

wadsy76
    Free Member

Any hoo I can say that there are alot of tits living in Ilkley, I was born and bred round ere 😉

wadsy76
    Free Member

bumpage

imnotamused
    Free Member

He he, I live in Ilkley, I’m relatively friendly and my wife has made a few good friends through the mumsy thing. I’ve also just been made redundant today so have plenty of time on my hands for a ride now if you fancy it! Email in profile if you want to meet up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Who is it on this forum who has recently moved from down south to Ilkley?

djglover
    Free Member

😳

Me, in my defence, I am originally from N Yorks and spent years living in Leeds before going to London.

ETA: I have found the people real friendly, but that is compared to London.

wheelie

Anyone remember the Ship Inn…alongside the canal,directly opposite the Celebrated Pork Pie shop?

martinhutch

Anyone remember the Ship Inn…alongside the canal,directly opposite the Celebrated Pork Pie shop?

They appear to be wine-barring it at the moment…it’s been closed for a bit.

CHB

Consider Steeton, Silsden or Conningley, much prefer them to skipton.

trevron73
    Free Member

Im Originaly from Steeton,now i live East Sussex coast ,i remember burning around the moors on my 88 rockhopper when i was 14,Malham and Ilkley moors, 3 peaks ,Nyorks moors and i made kendal once in 40 mins so lakes close by,my folks still live Steeton so i still ride once twice a year ,DO IT

wadsy76
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. most helpful.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Skipton, North Yorks’ is closed to new replies.