Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Moving to Sarf London
  • Flaperon

Got a possible job opportunity near the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent. Can anyone who knows the area recommend anywhere cheapish to live, assuming about an hour's commute by car? I think I'll be pretty much scraping a living, so balance cheapness with the threat of being mugged and stabbed. 🙂

I'm single atm so talking bedsit etc.

Cheers,

Dave.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

South croydon or Purley. Reasonably cheap, quite safe, good access to M25 and central London and not too far from downs MTBing

spacemonkey

I'd imagine many places that run parallel with the A13 or A2 will be somewhat affordable … worth doing a google map and checking.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    idontlikechips
    Free Member

aveley, grays, chafford hundred which are all just north of the river

Nobby

Follow the A2 corridor down towards the coast – generally speaking, the further you get from the M25 the cheaper it becomes. Gravesend, Northfleet, Chatham, Strood etc should be less than 30 mins commute even in rush hour.

I'd avoid the Essex option simply because you'd have the tunnel/bridge to contend with on your commute.

idontlikechips
    Free Member

the bridge isn't too bad really, unless it is closed of course.

vernon-sez
    Free Member

I'll 2nd Sarf Croydon way. Half hour to BW by car. Short drive to Coast / Downs / Airport. London 25 mins on the choo choo.

Should be ok for mugging / stabbing – tho avoid central Croydon on dole days ! 😉

langy
    Free Member

But Gravesend, Chatham and the like are pretty crap* to live in. The same dirty grimy feel as living on the London side, but with none of the benefits.

However, in relation to the OP, they will be cheaper although not by much cos so many "can't afford" London and move out that way.

Oh, and don't go North of the river for Bluewater – it's a nightmare to get across if you have to do it everyday!

*IMO – if you don't agree, so be it! 🙄

steve-g
    Free Member

In Crossways??

Stone is, well, a stones throw (ba doom tsh) away, or swanscombe. Both rubbish places but will be cheap. Not getting stabbed horrible but nothing to do whatsoever horrible and you could walk to work.

Why does it need to be an hours commute? If you commute up the A2 from medway the traffic will be horrible every day, if you commute down the A2 you will have to pay London rent prices for a job that pays Kent wages.

If you do want to be in london make sure you are on the A2, you want to avoid the M25 at all costs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Sarf London’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts