Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Moved to China!
  • Reluctant
    Free Member

Me mate Dave (no, really!), who I've worked with for two years started chasing love and romance in China, via some websites a while back. A friend of his moved there and married last year. Dave was going to do the same, but saw sense at the last minute and retracted his notice. As he had a visa though, he decided to take a 3 week holiday and stay with his friend. He was due back in work today, but didn't show up. His father dropped his keys off and I've since found out he had a one-way ticket, which leaves only one conclusion. He has no particular skills, speaks no Chinese and has no money except his august pay cheque. Is he as crazy as I think he is? What kind of life awaits him?

Gary_M
    Free Member

which leaves only one conclusion

Prostitution?

How 'friendly' were you exactly?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

time to face the facts, he just wasn't really in to you in that way.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My old boss (a few jobs back) did exactly the same thing (leaving a quite staggering amount of debt and annoyed creditors looking for him).

Kuco

Best of luck to him I couldn't do it the chinese students next door to me do my **** head in never mind a billion of them.

gandberg

Having lived, toured and worked and biked in China he'll have an amazing time, if he tries. The lingo is impossible, but the grub is delicious, cheap and never gets boring. Going out kicks ass. And as a TEFL teacher, you can earn £1600/month for 30 hours. Of just talking. Your own language. Not massive salary for here, but consider a 2 bed apartment can be had for £150/month all in then you get lots of spending money. There is some great biking to be had too, from exciting city blasts to mountain bike racing on military grounds. And with so many people there, if there is anything you like doing, there will be people to do it with. And being Western is like being a susperstar. I miss China. Wo ai ni China.

tails
    Free Member

Better than wondering what if.

Smee
    Free Member

Good man.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He has no particular skills, speaks no Chinese and has no money except his august pay cheque.

…………. and probably some top industrial secrets.

Sounds to me like your mate was all along, a commie spy .

saladdodger
    Free Member

At times you can feel like life is going nowhere

So maybe he took life by the horns and went for it and for that you have to admire him

I do, I did the same good job nice house etc in swindon and I was not happy so I upped sticks and here I am in devon but soon to be in france which I feel is better for us

sherry
    Free Member

Good luck to him, it must be better than this over taxed country. I plan to cash in my chips from this place in few years.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think China has the 3rd highest tax burden in the world Sherry. And no, Britain is neither 1st nor 2sd.

El-bent
    Free Member

Overtaxed? You're funny.

sherry
    Free Member

I don't know where you got your information but it varies vastly. The UK has relatively low tax on income. But you pay tax on practically everything that you purchase! Council tax, TV licence (which is a form of tax), food shopping, cars, road tax, BIKES and Clothes etc. I think you start to see the picture. I lived in Holland for over a year on there tax system and I was a fair bit better off even though I was on a higher tax scale and similar pay to the UK. This was because I didn't pay tax on everything I bought. So no your wrong Britain has plenty of hidden stealth taxes that equate to high taxation.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

'Tax burden' Sherry ……… that's what you're talking about.

And no, the tax burden in the UK is not particularly high.

Where's the information on the tax burden in China you ask ? Well you could try here :

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2007-05/17/content_874824.htm

OK it's a couple of years old and it might be debatable whether China actually has the 3rd highest tax burden in the world. But it is high – not low. And Britain is about average for a comparable country. So moving from Britain to China to get away from paying taxes sounds a bit futile imo.

sherry
    Free Member

El-bent I think the jokes on you and by the looks of it you deserve to pay you dummy. Some people just cant see past the the Union flag and the GREAT in Britain. I love my country but some things are just a rip-off
    like the tax and VAT system.

sherry
    Free Member

Yes I know what a tax burden is thanks. I see you used a very reliable article there! Where is the quantitative or qualititative research or government analysis? Unreliable and you know it is. Different sites say different things, you have to use a reliable source. I could google and find a site without China I the top 10, like here for example http://www.sirened.com/the-10-highest-taxed-countries. Tax is based on income and you can pay up to 50% tax in the UK! Never mind purchases. So no your argument is flawed, you work out what you pay in total per annum on all taxation and you'l get a better idea. Match your findings against other countries and you'l be surprised.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes I know what a tax burden is thanks

Obviously you don't. Or at least you're very confused.

After going into great detail explaining to me how tax isn't just "income tax", you then provide me with a link which mentions only "total taxes paid on earnings".

And no, Britain was not included even in those top ten countries.

You best go and figure out a better way of proving that taxation is lower in China than in Britain.

sherry
    Free Member

I was providing an example as to how you were wrong in your findings with your link. Its unreliable. Granted mine was not a great example of proving a point. I don't understand what a tax burden is do I ha ha. I have a very very good education thanks and I'm anything but confused! You are obviously blinkered by your Great Britain and what your told to believe and wont look at anything different. Good luck ernie, you sound as if you need it.

rob1984p
    Free Member

From what I saw it's amazing, i'm going over for a year as of about three weeks time and am mega excited. I'm going to be teaching English and earning nothing like the figure mentioned above but will be able to enjoy a very good standard of living and get a cool flat included. If your friend is frugal his paycheck will go a long way and he will easily get a teaching job if he is degree educated.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sherry, you need to bear in mind that Ernie would have us all working in a commune for one (collective produced) carrot per year. It's the best way, clearly. Communism is clearly the only way to proceed, after all, it's been such a success wherever it's been tried.

Back to the topic, I would love to see China. There are cultural and social issues therein which I find fascinating, not to mention the historical element. It's on my list of places to see and experience.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was providing an example as to how you were wrong in your findings with your link.

But your example had nothing whatsoever with the tax burden 😕

Good luck ernie

Thanks.

But have you had any luck finding proof that the tax burden is lower in China than in Britain ?

Nothing too complicated btw please ……………. I had pisspoor education.

sherry
    Free Member

I'm a Marxism man myself can you tell. Money and taxation aside, China looks like an amazing country that I would love to explore.

allthepies
    Free Member

This thread is now ghey.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Money and taxation aside

😀

sherry
    Free Member

No Ernie I haven't looked but it is there. Yes I know my link had nothing to do with tax burdens and I acknowledged the fact. I'm sensing your the argumentitive type ha ha. My massive brain power has tired me and I will bid you good my night my good man.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'm sensing your the argumentitive type

Not me mate. I always go out of my way to avoid an argument.

Sorry to hear about your tiredness btw. I genuinely found your comment about being a Marxist except for the money thing, funny …… I like your style 😀

Travis

China + Tax = funny….

They do what they can to avoid paying it, everything is handled in cash and bargained (even apartments and office blocks) they ask for no receipts or if so, it's at an agreed 'lower price'
    The receipts here have a scratch box, in which you can win some money, so as to encourage people to ask for them (otherwise the companies don't pay tax) but the shops/restaurants will offer you a discount / free goods instead.

Your mate will have a great time, I originally came out here for a 6 month tour/play, and I find myself here 7 years later, and wee baby on the way (due Nov.4th)
    Have some amazing trails, and I have a truely wonderful and non-taxing life 😀

tails
    Free Member

sounds cool what do you do for work?

mudshark
    Free Member

I'm married to a Chinese girl and she'd like to live there but I'm unsure as I'd hate to live in one of their crowded cities – well the ones I've seen such as Shanghai. The crazy thing is I could probably get away without working as wife's family is rich and own businesses and she could work for them leaving my to travel and ride…maybe.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Mudshark – does she have a sister? 😆

BlingBling
    Free Member

This thread had such potential…..

llama

Had a few great times in China. There aren't many places in the world where a European can go and be a novelty, China is one of them, apart from Beijing/HK/Shanghai of course. Constantly entertaining. People very generous. The food is great. Communication is such a challenge that doing anything whatsoever without a translator is a real mission.

Wouldn't want to live there though.

BoardinBob

"You no like Ting Tong no more?"

finbar
    Free Member

This is one of those "only on STW" threads… chap moves to China in an enigmatic fashion to score some poon, and it immediately turns into a debate on tax rates.

mudshark
    Free Member

muddydwarf – yeah she has a sister – a twin in fact…. Indeed she's single….but I got the slim one.

If I get made redundant then I really should consider getting over there for an extended period.

hora
    Free Member

Reluctant, how old is he? Sub-30 then why the hell not?!

Over 30. Hes going to be trying to rescue Sun Yi isnt he?

If I was in my early twenties again I'd go back and hang out in Tokyo etc for a couple of years. Imagine….a night out in a Japanese nightclub……oh boy. White girls? Nice but English girls tend to be big boned for my liking.

vinnyeh

Hora, what are you on about? 😕 Excuse my ignorance, but who's Sun Yi?

hora
    Free Member

The American bloke who disapeared from his home the US and was found swimming across the lake to rescue the Opposition leader in Burma.

vinnyeh

aah, Suu Kyi.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Moved to China!’ is closed to new replies.