• This topic has 162 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by tang.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem – New date, new location!
  • njee20
    Free Member

Flat and muddy? So it’s now just become SiTS.

pedlad

If it is A14 way (Northamptonshire) I’m out. Some of the most uninspiring (and pretty flat) landscapes in the UK IMHO.

psling
    Free Member

wbss
    Free Member

speaking as a mayhem enthusiast, poor move.

• it is completely virgin mountain bike territory – a private location never before used for cycling in any way

and good choice for a riding venue because?

• the only way you will ever get to ride a mountain bike here is by entering Wiggle Mountain Mayhem

see above. do I want to ride a bike there?

• it is less 40 miles from Eastnor

and good choice for a riding venue because?

• our course designers are really excited to be able to bring you some fantastic mountain biking with well made forest tracks plus gravely rock structure and high organic content making the soil drain well.

sounds balls. quite frankly.

ricksternicolai
    Free Member

dont know why they just dont announce it its not funny and anyone who rode it last year has lost all their humor anyway! just give us the postcode ! 😉

teamslug
    Free Member

if what tufffy is saying is true then i reckon, as theashnav says,stanford hall looks a good bet but its flat as a witches t*t

ricksternicolai
    Free Member

Ive done a lot of road cycling around there its so flat I usually only use one leg at a a time I reckon Tuffy is bogus

njee20
    Free Member

They’ve not actually said it’s hilly, so he could be right.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Well, if it’s Stanford at least I won’t have to drive far!

ndthornton
    Free Member

What do they mean by “high organic content” ?
    Manure ?
    silage ?

Rickos
    Free Member

tuffty is enjoying winding you lot up with off the cuff remarks about the A14 that you then take seriously.

wbss – you’ll just have to wait and see like everybody else, so don’t be so negative dude.

Speshpaul

“Weston Park in Wolverhampton??”

When did it move?

Just last week we were looking at a large private estate in shropshire that would be superb for this type of event, with real hills if not mountains. But i don’t see the owner letting anyone near “is land!”

Phil_H

P G ?

mrmo
    Free Member

as said before, you don’t need hills to make a race course.

How many people whinged that the olympics course would be crap because it wasn’t up a mountain?

If MM is a race, then all you need is a course to race on with enough to keep people on their toes.

I guess the fat biffers would have one less excuse for being slow if there aren’t any climbs? and wouldn’t be able to show off their downhill proess

njee20
    Free Member

The hills thing is a difficult one – IMO flat courses can be fun. I enjoy SiTS at Catton (as part of a team) as you just ride it flat out! I imagine it would be a soul destroying course to ride as a soloist however, just really dull!

Houns

Himley Hall 😛

mrmo
    Free Member

njee20, it would need good course design to work, and it can a bit of a problem making a usable interesting race course. Singletrack fun to ride but to race?

Anyway almost anything would be an improvement on Eastnor IMO.

rkk01
    Free Member

Eastern end of the Brecon Beacons / Black Mountains?

Somewhere between Hay on Wye and the Glanusk estate?

Plenty of forest and hills…

ETA – even that is too far…

FoD, north scarp of the Cotswolds, Leominster area?

crazy-legs

Anyway almost anything would be an improvement on Eastnor IMO.

Eastnor in the dry is fantastic. Hilly, good variation of terrain from fireroad to singletrack to grass, easy enough for newbies while being challenging enough for Elites, nice amphitheatre feel to the campsite. Problem is that it is utterly horrendous in the wet.

A change is good, the event needed a bit of a refresh.

mattbee

Given how good a job they did of making a course up out of nothing, including cutting all of the singletrack way back when at Sandwell I’d not be so worried about it being ‘new’ to bikes.

Rickos
    Free Member

Himley Hall

We could all pop down the Crooked House for a Gornal Smokey at half time.

Memories… 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

Eastnor in the dry is fantastic

agreed

Problem is that it is utterly horrendous in the wet.

which at the end of june is quite normal

njee20
    Free Member

Eastnor in the dry is fantastic. Hilly, good variation of terrain from fireroad to singletrack to grass, easy enough for newbies while being challenging enough for Elites, nice amphitheatre feel to the campsite. Problem is that it is utterly horrendous in the wet.

A change is good, the event needed a bit of a refresh.

+1, 2006 at Eastnor was brilliant fun!

crezzy

I’ve heard whispers it could be Ludlow way

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

To be fair last year wasn’t the worst one I’ve ever done, at least I rode most of the lap and it was pretty warm. think ’07 or ’08 was the worst for me, can’t remember which though.

cakefest
    Free Member

Ludlow equals not flat. very.

njee20
    Free Member

To be fair last year wasn’t the worst one I’ve ever done, at least I rode most of the lap and it was pretty warm. think ’07 or ’08 was the worst for me, can’t remember which though.

Hmmm… 07, whilst crap, was not a patch on last year! Didn’t do 2008, so must have been that one!

mugsys_m8

high organic content making the soil drain well

What, like peat?…….

KonaTC

After a couple of dire years having about as much fun as someone being tortured, I’m going wait out for the feedback of any new course/weather combination.

Trimix
    Free Member

Sod doing them in the UK. Enter one in the sunny south of Europe. There must be Spanish / French equivalents. The food would also be better 🙂

fatboyjon

After missing last years through being well bored of the Eastnor courses, I’m well keen to give it another go somewhere new. First time I’ve been vaguely excited about Mayhem in a good few years.

Let’s hope the course is fun, the weather is kind (ie not just cr4p) and it all goes off without incident.

DJTC
    Free Member

I do hope it is not stanford hall!!! i live a few mins ride from there and can tell you the riding is absolutely awful! flat as a flat thing. Thick clay you can only imagine in your worst nightmares. Bruntingthorpe would not be so bad, but still the most boring riding you can find in the uk.

mrmo
    Free Member

I do hope it is not stanford hall!!!

you did read the OP? the new venue is within 40miles of Eastnor…

grtdkad

…suspense is killing me !

shindiggy
    Free Member

Wishes it was back at Sandwell, could cycle home afterwards.

grtdkad

Wishes it was back at Sandwell, could cycle walk home after your bike was stolen

FTFY

votchy
    Free Member

After losing my sense of humour last year at Eastnor (ridden MM every year since 2006) would like to see it somewhere else, hope there isnt any good fishing rivers nearby as the 16th is first day of the season, having thousands of mtb’ers larking about nearby is gonna upset someone 😀

tuffty
    Free Member

Ok chaps, huge apology here. The estate I work at were in negotiations with mm about hosting the event and I was under the impression that it was sorted. I have just spoken to the estate manager and it seems what the estate wanted and what wiggle wanted were different. On the upside, you won’t have to battle through the Northants clay, or if you do you can do it at tough mudder as we are definitely hosting that. So anyway sorry again we will all have to keep guessing. Sorry

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont apologies, it kept the thread going.

They should do it in Bristol where they hold the Bikefest – thats a weatherproof course 🙂

wbss
    Free Member

They should do it in Bristol where they hold the Bikefest – thats a weatherproof flat course

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem – New date, new location!’ is closed to new replies.