• This topic has 162 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by tang.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem – New date, new location!
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

15th & 16th June at a new ‘secret’ location.

Go on then let the speculation begin… Unless you know where it is? Within 40 miles of Eastnor, but drains well.

My thoughts are the middle of the Bristol Channel, its got to be drier 🙂

Any one for a sweep stake?

walleater

I would suggest that it would be on a mountain, but that’s just crazy talk.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Hopefully near me, I am about 30 miles from Eastnor.

What about the Forest of Dean?

rOcKeTdOg

who says?

vickypea
    Free Member

“Well drained” would be good after last year!
    Although I doubt there are many options for well drained at the moment. Llandegla would be good!

superdale
    Free Member

According to email below: Could it be a private estate in Shropshire?

Happy New Year!

Wiggle and Pacific Edge Events Limited are proud to announce (finally… yes, we know…) that there is a new date for your diaries for Wiggle Mountain Mayhem this year:

15th & 16th June 2013

Camping will be available from Friday 14th June 2013.

After many happy (and often muddy) years at Eastnor, we all felt that it was time for a change. Since the end of Mayhem last year we have searched the length and breadth of the UK tirelessly to find the perfect venue. That is no easy task. We want only the best for Wiggle Mountain Mayhem riders. Now in it’s 16th year, we constantly strive to improve Mayhem for everyone. That is why we are really excited about our new venue. The only snag is we are sworn to secrecy about the exact location for a little while longer… BUT there are a few little nuggets we can tell you at this stage:

• it is completely virgin mountain bike territory – a private location never before used for cycling in any way

• the only way you will ever get to ride a mountain bike here is by entering Wiggle Mountain Mayhem

• it is less 40 miles from Eastnor

• our course designers are really excited to be able to bring you some fantastic mountain biking with well made forest tracks plus gravely rock structure and high organic content making the soil drain well.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Hagley Hall Estate?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Any Tank proving grounds within 40 miles?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

we have searched the length and breadth of the UK

Yeah right!

40 miles takes in pretty much everything between Birmingham, Bristol, Oxford and Brecon.
    The private grounds of a stately home sounds most likely, or possibly a military training ground.
    There can’t be many places that have never been cycled on and have got no bridleways crossing the course.

grtdkad

How much land has the ‘regiment in Hereford’ got to play with?
    That would be good!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

After last years disaster that was akin to riding pushing my bike through a swamp, I wasn’t going to do another one.

The venue change has got me thinking it might be worth a go

rOcKeTdOg

Even i might be tempted 😯

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Camping from Friday…..

Team sumo & the disco tent might be missing then. 😥
    Real shame as we do it for charity

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The venue change has got me thinking it might be worth a go

I’m sure that is exactly the reaction the organisers were hoping for.
    The state of the site last year I can understand and accept, given the weather, but not providing shelter at the changeover area was just plain tight and unforgivable.

somafunk

we have searched the length and breadth of the UK tirelessly to find the perfect venue.

it is less 40 miles from Eastnor

So you didn’t search very far then?, i realise they have to keep it near to areas of high population otherwise they’d only get 3 folk on a halfords special turning up but i doubt they searched north of Birmingham, never mind, muddy fields are two a penny in this climate.

njee20
    Free Member

So you didn’t search very far then?, i realise they have to keep it near to areas of high population otherwise they’d only get 3 folk on a halfords special turning up but i doubt they searched north of Birmingham, never mind, muddy fields are two a penny in this climate.

Could well be unfounded, but I’m guessing it’s going to be north of Eastnor (which in itself it a pretty crap place to get to), so I’d say that unless you’re in Birmingham it’s probably not going to be easier to get to.

Still, I think it’s good for the event, I think everyone was bored of Eastnor after last year!

Alex

Still, I think it’s good for the event, I think everyone was bored of Eastnor after last year!

Traumatised more like 😉 I live about 10 miles from Eastnor and whenever I’m up there you can still see the wreckage from last year. I wonder if the estate had any part to play in them moving it.

missnotax
    Free Member

After the carnage of last year i’ll probably give this a go.

Obviously this new destination will come with a ‘no mud’ guarentee, right?!! 😉

DaveRambo

I think it’s a good move and one they had to make after last year.

With all the rain we’ve had the past few months and entries only a few weeks away, staying at Eastnor would have had a lot of people not bothering this year I think.

I don’t get why some people are saying it’ll be north of Eastnor in a high population area – the press release talks of Forrest tracks. I’d give Pat some credit for knowing what makes a decent course and wherever it is it’ll be a new challenge rather than the same bits of track at Eastnor.

Bring it on I say – all sounds like a good thing.

frogstomp

Bugger! They had to go and pick the same weekend as the Wiggle French Revolution sportive didn’t they.. arse!

rOcKeTdOg

Catton park is 40ish miles from Eastnor 🙂

DaveRambo

Catton Park may be 40ish miles away but it’s not

“completely virgin mountain bike territory – a private location never before used for cycling in any way”

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t get why some people are saying it’ll be north of Eastnor in a high population area

2 separate comments I think. Somafunk reckoned near population centres, I reckon it will be north of Eastnor in Hereford/Shropshire or something. Certainly not near centres of population! But it’s pure speculation.

rOcKeTdOg

Catton Park may be 40ish miles away but it’s not “completely virgin mountain bike territory – a private location never before used for cycling in any way”

🙄 it’s really not worth explaining is it?

catcher
    Free Member

Can someone explain the attraction of these ‘Mountain’ events that are nowhere near mountains? Why not call it Extreme Adventure Mountain Mayhem and move it to Norfolk.

endurogangster
    Free Member

because ‘Hill/field Mayhem’ doesn’t have the same ring to it!

missnotax
    Free Member

Mud Mayhem?

“completely virgin mountain bike territory – a private location never before used for cycling in any way”

I reckon they’ve picked Shakespeare County Raceway on a weekend when there’s no drag racing on.

tuffty
    Free Member

Not as far East as Norfolk, and I would question free draining 🙄

terrahawk
    Free Member

Can someone explain the attraction of these ‘Mountain’ events that are nowhere near mountains

I think it derives from the name of the sport – “MOUNTAIN biking” which coincidentally involves riding “MOUNTAIN bikes”.

there aren’t any proper mountains in the UK anyway, so we might as well get the whole lot banned.

pedlad

I agree with Alex – riding over that way for months afterwards it was a complete mess so I wouldn’t be suprised if the estate had pulled out for a few years.

Despite it being really convenient and nice to get the families along I’m quite pleased. After 6 years running it’ll be nice to have a new challenge.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Long Mynd

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon they’ve picked Shakespeare County Raceway on a weekend when there’s no drag racing on.

An airfield? So that’ll be absolutely pan flat. I hope not.

I think it derives from the name of the sport – “MOUNTAIN biking” which coincidentally involves riding “MOUNTAIN bikes”.

there aren’t any many proper mountains in the UK anyway, so we might as well get the whole lot banned.

That, and Mayhem is actually pretty hilly, SiTS is the clichéd ’round a field’ type stuff, but Eastnor is really rather hilly!

astormatt
    Free Member

As a local to eastnor i am pretty gutted its moving as its only 10 minutes from my house and i dont fancy a 40 mile drive home after being up for 24+ hours.
    Some of us did hear a rumour of eastnor estate slapping the organisers with a 40k bill for ruining the grounds.
    I have been back for mud runner in November and you could still see the track layout.

singlespeedstu

The Enville Estate near Kinver fits the description perfectly.

collostomy
    Free Member

Good spot Stu…. You may be onto something here!!

tuffty
    Free Member

Take it from me its a nice place to camp, although it is heavy clay ground, and it features an airfield 😉

crazy-legs

Maybe back to Sandwell – that’s about 40 miles from Eastnor.

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem – New date, new location!’ is closed to new replies.