Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • mountain king tyres………………mm
  • ton

got 2 pairs cheap…
    used a set yesterday…….omg how bad are they on wet slabs/steps/stones.
    are they good for anything.
    and if anyone wants a pair email me and i will do you a deal.. 8)

taka
    Free Member

there good swingarm protectors or step grips… 😉

gingerflash

If they're supersonic 2.4s I'll take them…but then as you're saying they're crap, I'm guessing they're the standards or protections.

The rubber on the supersonics is really soft. Wears quickly but grips really well on pretty much anything.

sturmey
    Free Member

Try them with quite low pressures they tend to perform a bit better then. Mine are the supersonics and they are only ok, sketchy on loose corners so dont inspire confidence.

ton

gf, not supersonics..

gingerflash

Boo! I run mine tubeless at about 25psi and think they're great.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

They are the shittest tyre i have ha dthe misfortune to use. Cheap from on-one for a reason – cos they are SHIT

ton

wont disagree…. 8)

Andy-W
    Free Member

I run my 2.4 protections at about 25/30psi on the front and they are fine, the rear with 40psi still get pinch flats but thats just about bald now so I have some Maxis ready to fit to see what all the fuss is about

sturmey
    Free Member

Running 25 psi I would be on the rims with my big bones 😯

ton

i ran them with 40psi in.
    just very slippy on anything wet or damp.
    going back to minnions, the thick sided soft ones..

montylikesbeer

my right knee thinks they are jack right

My 5 pro came with them, two weeks in and an "off" over a what should have been a nothing 10 m stretch, they are off.

Replaced with a pair of advantage's

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

girlfriend had 2.4's come on her lapierre and decided almost straight away to change to high rollers. She's offered to give them away to people including a good riding friend who isn't the most knowledgeable on parts.
    said friend needed to buy a new front tyre and picked what he thought was an appropriate tyre. 2.5" conti Diesel. on a pitch comp that's used quite a lot for xc. tread is very similar to the kings that i believe he was offered for free.
    first ride at swinley and he says how the front isn't gripping too well. "maybe it just needs to wear in a bit"

joolsburger
    Free Member

Run my 2.4s at 40 psi and love them. Wet roots, off camber, sand, all sorts, no worries. I have complete confidence in them.

montylikesbeer

Mine are at this moment in my driveway next to the bins, the scroats who nicked my wolf ridge are welcome to them, hope they break their bl%%ding necks on them

mieszko
    Free Member

Seems I'm not going to try out newer Contis after all 😉 I was very disappointed by a folding Conti Explorer I got once as it was crap in the wet and punctured loads. Was thinking about trying the new models but looks like there is not much improvement, and I just can't justify spending so much on the supersonics if they are slightly better. I wonder whether the Black Chili compound ones would be better as my Grand Prix road tyres are actually pretty good in wet, but that's on road.

ton

also ran some rubber queens for a while…they too are rubbish, imho.
    maxxis seem to be the best tyres at the present time..

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Hideous tyre. Apparently very good for dry loose over hardpack, ie alpine trail center but I dunno as I wont have them near me ever again.

robhughes
    Free Member

have had no problems(3 rides)with mine at 35psi but me now thinks there is an accident waiting to happen.
    i don,t like pain so may put the nevegal 2,35,s back on as im going north next week.

ton

not wanting to scaremonger….
    always thought posts about tyre were tosh….like tyres are tyres.
    they are all made out of rubber, but seriously these things are not good at all.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Good timing with the thread. I almost bought some of the offending articles the other day.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I ride mine hard at Swinley and the Surrey hills all the time and they are much better than my hi rollers, nobby nics or specialized enduros.. keep up with anyone on the downs/twistys with no slipping. Haven't tried them on rock though.

Weird.

montylikesbeer

Testament to how good they are, IMHO

robhughes
    Free Member

joolsburger-thats what i thought.i,m also very rough with mine BUT from what i,ve read they don,t agree with water and i recon £40-£50 i cheap for no pain.

robhughes
    Free Member

anyone want some free tyres

montylikesbeer

as before, my are by the bins for local collection

joolsburger
    Free Member

yeah i'll take them if they are 2.4's

Was out in the pissing rain today no probs. No rocks round here though!!

Northwind

My 2.2 Supersonics lasted one ride, it wasn't even that they lacked front end grip on the descents, they lacked the rear end grip to get me to the top of the descents. Miserable. Grip like a slick, roll like a knobbly.

Kramer
    Free Member

Ton, there were a few really slippy descents yesterday!

timraven

Sorry guys & gals, I'm a big fan of Conti's. Verticals are, IMHO of course, the best front tyre ever. Looking forward to trying the Rubber Queen 2.2 with black Chili Compound. Grrrr 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's a massive difference if you run them at 40+ psi I found, not for everyone but I like them lots.

devs
    Free Member

I'm a big fan of Conti's. Verticals are, IMHO of course, the best front tyre ever.

I bet you like olives and marmite too. 😀

timraven

I bet you like olives and marmite too.

Yup 😀

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Big fan of Conti's.Been running the 2.2 MK UST version on my Turner 35/30PSI Brilliant.In the summer on my hardtail had a Race King 2.0 on the back and used the UST King(with a tube!) on the front.The best combo i've used.Think it rolls better and is more confidence inspiring than the Speed Kings!
    Thanx Max

robgarrioch

I think the OP is dead right – baaad on wet + hard surfaces. Another 'dodgy MK's' thread. 2.2 chili protections I use(d). Fine if ground conditions are dry, but I got a pair of trailrakers I'm looking forward to comparing.
    & I aint making excuses for poor riding – think these tyres + wet multiplies my poor riding!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I havent returned to KMB since their mechanic recommended i buy a Mountain king (Wire bead) as a good trail centre tyre. Its the biggest pile of poop on ANY trail condition. Dry loose – Nightmare. Wet Rock – Nightmare. Mud – Rubbish

I have a 10% worn tyre in the garage loft which will go on my wifes bike (Cos i love her and she only rides to the shops on it)

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Its really interesting how people are saying good and bad things about the tyre in seemingly the same conditions/ground types.
    does it come down to how aggressive you are?

steve_b77
    Free Member

DB-> they're just $h!te.

robhughes
    Free Member

dirtbiker100. did you just spill my pint 😐

ton

i swapped the pair i rode on sunday to a pair of maxxis advantage 2.4s at work today.
    i rode the bike home on the road….think i am now gonna put the mountain kings back on………….. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘mountain king tyres………………mm’ is closed to new replies.