Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mountain King Protection tyres
  • wheelie

I have heard they come up small. Would a 26″ 2.4 be too wide for a Reba fork? At the moment I am running a 2.2 XR4, but tends to clog up with South Downs ‘slop’.
    The 2.2 MK seems quite narrow.

jonba
    Free Member

Apparent tyre width sort of depends on your rim width as well.

But I have run the 2.4 on a Reba fork and there was room to spare. The 2.2 do come up narrow. When I was “just riding” I tended to run a 2.4 up front and the 2.2 out back. Now I just run 2.2 both ends but I’ve also switched to the slightly faster version (which the name escapes me).

I don’t find there is much in the various compounds. Everybody swears by the protection because of the black Chilli compound but in mud I’ve found the cheapest wire to be as good as them. Again, maybe expensive front, cheap rear.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I used these for a while but personally I’d go for the Trail Kings (updated rubber queens) seem much better to me, 2.2s in them come up big but give OK clearance in my revs.

wheelie

Thanks for your input chaps MK’s are a good price at crc at the moment. I guess you could use a Trail King on the front and MK on back for a not too draggy combo. Are the Trail Kings as good in mud as the MK’s?
    How do Purgatory’s compare?

honourablegeorge

I’ve had someone tell me MK front, TK rear makes more sense as the MK is the more aggressive tyre. Not sure I agree with him.

andybrad

tk is a good front, mk rear.

2.4 mk is same as 2.2 tk.

2.2mk is rubbish. 2.4mk is ok and faster than a 2.2 tk but very little in it. 2.2tk is miles better than both.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I sold mine found they punctured to easy.

wheelie

How would a Purgatory compare? Is it readily available in Grid 26″.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I ran MK’s on my Switchback for a short while – they were OK, but not great. The sidewalls were made of cheese though and leaked like a sieve. I ended up swapping them for TK’s which seemed to have better sidewalls (less leaky when run tubeless) and gripped better.

Personally I hate the cheap Conti compound – it’s lethal and doesn’t grip. I had some el cheapo RQ’s and they lasted two rides before they were taken off. The Black Chilli compound is good though.

None of my tyres were the pricey. I think they were bought from Merlin who were comparable with the German and French sites.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mountain King Protection tyres’ is closed to new replies.