• This topic has 22 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Del.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • so, winter boots. what are my choices?
  • nickc

I’m fed up with having cold, soggy feet, my old Shimano winter boots aren’t fit for purpose any more

what’s the go to boot these days?

takisawa2

Given the weather of late, Hunter do a nice line.

scotroutes

Still to try out my Bontrager OMWs. Maybe it’ll be colder tomorrow.

sharkattack

Giro Alpineduro?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwave Celsius Arctic .

Good value for money, good stiff sole. Also, no zips. Zips plus shoes plus British mud equals bad!

Speshpaul

” old Shimano winter boots aren’t fit for purpose “
    The mw81’s aren’t either.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

whatever you get, get some full length sealskinz water proof socks; excellent for wading in water as I found out last year.

Junkyard
    Free Member

LAkes [ and dry boot seals] but nothing will work [perfectly] in the weather we have

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

A pair of Northwave celius gtx boots was my Christmas present to myself this year.
    I’m amazed at how good they are compared to the spesh defroster ones I used before.
    Warm, dry and a brilliant sole (if you don’t want to walk much anyhow)
    I’m also happily surprised at the vibration damping in the sole.
    Flying down Jacobs this week they felt like my best pair of slippers

prawny

I’ve just got some used LG 0° boots second hand that are £80odd in Evans at the mo. I think they’re better than the old shimano ones I had before, but come up very small. I think mine are a 45 and they’re still a bit snug and I take 43 normally.

erny
    Free Member

Really like my defrosters, water will still get in the top of them but still keep my feet warm when wet.

stayhigh

Another vote for Northwave Celsius here, great bit of kit. 4 years in and not missed a beat.

Del

i’ve a pair of the celcius that i’m having to admit are too small. if you’re a size 9 let’s talk.

nickc

Del, yes I am!

could you mail me at nickcummins7328ATgmail.com ?

tanks

siloseven
    Free Member

I’ve got some northwave Fahrenheit 2 gtx (mtb version of the celsius) and they are great. Pair them with some dry suit cuffs round your ankles to stop the water running down your legs and they are completely waterproof. Not sure that you need the artic versions for the UK – I think the normal ones will be fine down to -4 degrees or so.

djflexure

NW Celcius artic here too – best boots I have had (last were Shimano). Not used much this season due to milder wet weather. Stuck with shoe, overshoe combo.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve got the Spesh Defrosters which seem fine in the short time I’ve had them. They have loops for adding gaiters if you so wish which will raise the main water entry point. I did consider getting a pair of Lakes but couldn’t find a pair in my size and it seems like they aren’t being imported to the UK any more (not had this confirmed).

If you want to wade through water then really only wellies will do, everything else is a compromise.

duncancallum

Rooster socks. Neoprene jobs work like a wetsuit. They’re very effective

dovebiker

You did say “winter boots”?

http://45nrth.com/files/products/_small/Wolfgar.jpg

kcal

Upgraded my old MT90s to MT91s – a size up, meaning I can put in chunky wooly socks.

Yes they can still get damp/ quite wet – but space for toes and feet means they stay warm – toasty even.

Spud

I bought some 45Nth Japanther albeit for the road bike recently and they’re great. Snug around the ankle, double collar but toasty and waterproof. I was fed-up fighting with overshoes four times a day for the commute. They do an MTB version.

stanleigh
    Free Member

NW Celsius , really comfortable !

Del

Nick, YHM.
    8)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘so, winter boots. what are my choices?’ is closed to new replies.