Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Mountain biking is better for your health and fitness than road
  • hmanchester
    Free Member

I’m obviously trolling a little bit here for discussion purposes…..

In light of a couple of other posts on the 3 minute weekly workout (Horizon tonight), high intensity interval training (HIIT), weight loss and general training questions I thought I’d throw this hypothesis out there.

Mountain biking is better for your health and fitness because of:

– The work/rest/up/down/stop/start/HIIT nature of it
    – The upper body work done
    – The skill development needed

Compared to the steady state grinding of road cycling.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You may have a point but too many other variables…

thomthumb
    Free Member

– The work/rest/up/down/stop/start/HIIT nature of it

no

atlaz
    Free Member

Fitness is a side-effect of me loving riding bikes rather than any sort of objective.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Cynic-al: Loads of other variables, absolutely loads, totally right. I’m dealing in generalisations here and think for the average person they will get better health benefits from mountain bike style riding than road.

Thomthumb: Well argued.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The roadies i know are way fitter than the MTB ers, god love you but roadies dont need baggies or carry pies on rides

MTB ers rest going downhill as well – pathetic

ransos
    Free Member

I find that road riding improves my fitness far more quickly than MTBing.

Taff
    Free Member

It’s better for your health from the perspective that you don’t have to avoid being runover

yunki
    Free Member

very obviously..

particularly mental health.. 😀

hmanchester
    Free Member

Altaz: Totally agree, but it’s a nice side effect that adds to the experience. Especially nice if I enjoy MTBing more as well.

Taff: Another good point.

Yunki: Again a good point. I know some people like the “time to think” aspect of road cycling, but for me the more social aspect of MTB riding is far more beneficial to mental health and well being.

I guess it depends what you see as your ideals when it comes to health and fitness. If it’s super low bodyfat, a skinny power to weight ratio body and a high VO2 max as the ideals of health and fitness then you have a point. I however don’t, I prefer an more all-round fitness, skill development, and not having to mess around with my system and insulin levels by eating endless carbs.

I think for the average bloke out there this favours MTBing.

TiRed

1) Road for fitness.
    2) Off road for bike handling skills.

I think that I’m at the point where 2) is slowing me down on the trails. That and no suspension. I had no trouble dropping people on the inclines at Gorrick, implying that fitness derived from road riding is fine. Of course they caught me on the descents.

MrSmith
    Free Member

you only have to look at the ratio of corpulent to slim mtb’ers compared to roadies to see that your theory is wrong.

a lot of mtb’ers are carrying extra round the middle because of the stop-start pie-eating nature of a lot of the U.K. mtb scene.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Road riding for fitness, there’s too much time spent not peddling on the mtb imo. Although the rough terrain of mountain bike is better for your long term bone health, I think.

HIT needs to be structured, not just ride up hill, ride down hill stuff.

will
    Free Member

hmanchester – Member

Compared to the steady state grinding of road cycling.

This is the key part.

Road riding is constant, no rests (unless you stop) and most of the time i’d say around 80% of maximum effort.

Having said that I see your point. More body movement on a MTB

tlr

I agree, I’m always amazed at how fat roadies are, and how slim and beautiful mtbers are….

finbar
    Free Member

Road riding is constant, no rests (unless you stop) and most of the time i’d say around 80% of maximum effort.

Er, no. Sprints for town signs, hills, flats, downhills, taking turns on the front vs hiding at the back etc etc.

GEDA
    Free Member

Maybe people ride mountain bikes as it is fun and that is while there are all sorts of shapes and sizes. I go riding with some roadies and they are super fast on the flat and slight inclines so they are generally faster than me but on steep or technical climbs or downhill. I suppose on a mountain bike you do not really get any benefit on momentum on a lot of surfaces so I do not spin as much.

joao3v16
    Free Member

MTBing gives me more of an all-over body workout.
    Road riding does more for my endurance, which improves my MTBing.

Generally.

Is what I find, anyway.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

And of course any moving bike is going to work you core much more than an exercise bike… Even more so over rough terrain. I reckon given the same amount of pedal time MTB would be tougher on you than road riding, obviously in the real world roadies spend far longer in the saddle.

will
    Free Member

finbar – Member

Er, no. Sprints for town signs, hills, flats, downhills, taking turns on the front vs hiding at the back etc etc.

Ok, well more constant. With the above you are always putting in effort, all be it slight more in some cases. Guess what i was saying is that with MTB you often get rest periods.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I reckon given the same amount of pedal time MTB would be tougher on you than road riding

almost every [competiting] MTBer rides road to train but I cant see brad spinning his way up a hill; anytime soon or cav practicing off road soon
    I dont agree.

AndyP
    Free Member

I reckon given the same amount of pedal time MTB would be tougher on you than road riding

what does this even mean? ‘pedal time’? does twiddling along in 22-32 for 2 mintes and pushing >400W in 53-11 for 2 minutes both = 2 minutes ‘pedal time’?

MrSmith
    Free Member

what does this even mean?

that whoever wrote that has never really ridden a road bike at a reasonable speed for a few hours without stopping?

AndyP
    Free Member

that whoever wrote that has never really ridden a road bike at a reasonable speed for a few hours without stopping?
    FAIL.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Suspect it depends on where and how you are riding. Quite a few chunky riders of both disciplines around 🙂

Put in the miles on intense routes in either and you get results.

I love both but prefer off road because of the health hazards associated with the Great British motorist!

clubber
    Free Member

If I have limited time, then I’ll get fitter spending that time on my road bike than I will on my mtb – assuming that I’m going to use my mtb for riding off road – too much time coasting or not pedalling when mtbing. And if riding with mates, too much time stopping to chat 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re resting going downhill you’re missing half the fun! Downhill done right is as physically demanding as uphill but with much more fun as a reward.

ianven
    Free Member

I reckon my road bike gets me fitter quicker than my mtb, but occasionally wonder about the car fumes I must be breathing in on the roads can’t be doing me much good!

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP I guess my point is that most mtb’rs are pretty casual and most doing road alone are much less so.

I also know plenty of mtb’rs who are lazy ****ers and never work hard-22-34 makes this possible.

thegman67

I use the road for my fitness and the weekend for bombing about enjoying the trails

GEDA
    Free Member

My heart rate going down hill tends to be higher than the flat.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Fitness is a side-effect of me loving riding bikes rather than any sort of objective.

This.

Northwind

MrSmith – Member

you only have to look at the ratio of corpulent to slim mtb’ers compared to roadies to see that your theory is wrong.

Self selection? MTBing is (I believe) more approachable for the non-athletic.

According to my consultant, there’s also a very strong correlation between osteoperosis and road cycling- it’s a very low impact activity in which you sometimes sweat a lot, for a long time, therefore reducing calcium levels. Whereas there’s no reliable indication of a link with mountain biking (though that could be down to a lack of info)

Personally I ride despite the health benefits, but I could do without even brittler bones so that sounds like a good thing.

Pieface

The point of that report is that 3 minutes intense exercise is better than nothing so don’t think you can apply that to compare road vs MTB.

IME road biking is more consistent so you effectively get a longer / bigger workout for a given amount of time.

sparkyrhino

No body told me while mt biking you were supposed to stop and eat pies.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

They are different sports. Haven’t we all been out with the supposedly super fit roadies who aren’t experienced mountain bikers only to find them busted and floundering on a moderately challenging ride? I have.

Furthermore I’ve been going out on night rides (mtb) with a few roadies this winter, the first time for them and they are reporting huge improvements in climbing strength when they get back on the road bike, something echoed by their clubmates who are left trailing behind them.

Riding on the road will improve your cardiovascular fitness for spinning a big gear at a high cadence for a long time. This will have a beneficial effect on aspects of mountain biking which require you to do the same. Mountainbiking is a much more dynamic sport which requires a more general type of fitness.

There are plenty of fat roadies out there too, but in general i would say if you take body fat percentage, lung capacity and heart rate as indicators of fitness then the majority of them will conform to what people regard as fit. In the same way as you would marathon runners I suppose. Neither of whom would last very long in the boxing ring though, when subjected to that type of endurance. Horses for courses etc

super fit?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If I have limited time, then I’ll get fitter spending that time on my road bike than I will on my mtb – assuming that I’m going to use my mtb for riding off road – too much time coasting or not pedalling when mtbing. And if riding with mates, too much time stopping to chat

Exactly my experience too. I had a great MTB ride with mates at the weekend. It was social, it was fun and in places required some skillz. However I didn’t feel very exercised at the end of it. Had I spent the same time on my road bike I won’t have had as much fun but would have covered 3 or 4 times the distance and been properly knackered.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Find much better fitness benefits from MTBing than road cycling but this could be a commitment/enjoyment/willingness thing. Griding out the miles is exactly how it feels at times on a road bike…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

The roadies i know are way fitter than the MTB ers, god love you but roadies dont need baggies or carry pies on rides

+1 to this.

velomanic
    Free Member

I like riding my mountain bike but I like riding my road bike too, which is better?

There’s only one way to find out…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking is better for your health and fitness than road’ is closed to new replies.