Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Mountain bike or Motor bike??????
  • wordy1979
    Free Member

Which would you give up?????? 🙂

MSP

I have gone without a motorbike for nearly twenty years now after coming to the realisation that I would probably kill myself sooner rather than later, but I still get the urge every spring.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Well I rode my motorbike 3 times last year and didnt bother getting it on the road this year as I have limited spare time. 🙁

But the spare time has been used mtb-ing and bivi-ing. 😆

Edit:I do miss the thrill of the motorbike but think I would miss the Mtb more.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Neither. Or both. Or one, or the other.
    Doesn’t matter what type of bike it is to me, but as long as I can physically manage it, I’ll be riding a bike of some sort. 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I gave up motor cycles. Too much traffic to make it fun any more and I get so much more fun from playing in the woods on my mtb.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

The only thing that got me off a motorbike was the banks pulling the plug on my business in 2007 and subsequent bankruptcy. I’d have another one tomorrow if I hadn’t of spent £13k on MTB’s in the last year 🙄

v8ninety

Actually selling a 2008 KTM Superduke in the fastest colour, and currently building up a turner 5spot. So I guess there’s my answer…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Too much traffic to make it fun any more

That’s nowt more than a lame excuse!
    Either that or you have the wrong motorbike! Traffic was 50% of the reason for me getting a bike in the first place! 🙂
    (The other 50% was being bored of cars)

Northwind

Motorbike… Though I’ve still got it, just in case. I’d already fallen out of love with road riding before I got back into mountain biking though so it wasn’t really that much of a choice. (I spent too long only riding the motorbike out of neccesity for horrible commutes, so I’ve more or less forgotten how to ride for fun)

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

none of the above, the motorbike provides me with a living, the mountain bike a release.

curvature
    Free Member

Good topic as I have a Ducati 749s and an Orange Five.

Ducati ridden 4 times this year – Five ridden so many times I don’t know.

The Orange allows me to have as many thrills as the Ducati with similar risks except I can’t get banned or a jail sentence for going too fast!

The best bit about the Orange though is is that it allows me to take my two young children with me. My 4yr old son is really enjoying his new Ridgeback, and going out on the tagalong when we can do some proper off-roading over Cannock Chase.

You don’t see many Five’s with a tagalong so say hello if you see us!

z1ppy

MSP – Member
    I have gone without a motorbike for nearly twenty years now after coming to the realisation that I would probably kill myself sooner rather than later

+1
    Well nearly 20 years, after I found myself sliding down the road looking at the sky, thinking this is familar, why am I here?* I gave it up, as I enjoy life too much.

*Not my fault, the tarmac was so greasy it was hard to walk on – I was just lucky not to be driven over.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

I’d give up the motorbike if I had to choose…. Another one who’s insurance & tax ran out in June – haven’t bothered to renew as I haven’t had the urge to go out since, only used it a couple of times this year before June.

However the great thing is I can keep it in the garage and it costs me nowt! And as it’s only worth £1,500ish anyway, and I’m not desperate for the cash – why not just keep it?

snaps
    Free Member

I sold the R1 last year & the SP1 this year after getting knocked off twice in 9 months – made me tense riding in traffic & just didn’t enjoy it anymore.

wordy1979
    Free Member

I have a GSXR 750 K6 and a mountain bike. I love my motor bike but Im only a summer rider, i’m thinking of selling because the British weather is rubbish and to be honest I can get my kicks going to places like Innerliethen and Glentress on my MTB. Not sure yet!

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Nice SP1 but odd graphics – result of the spill? I always tell people that I ride the ‘touring’ version of that when ask what I’ve got… After all, no-one remembers the VTR1000 do they?

wordy1979
    Free Member

Snaps – im sorry to here that! I came off my bike last year about this time actually. My bike went straight into a lamp post and became a CAT A! I was lucky very lucky. I still ended up buying another, I love it but im trying to persuade myself that all I need is a MTB.

LoCo
    Free Member

Motorbike, i’m actually selling the quicker one ( a pretty heavily tuned ZX7R) but keeping the slower one, Yam SRX although it will be considerably quicker than standard once the new engine’s done.
    My wife hates quick bikes especially after Junior Loco arrived

gusamc
    Free Member

I migrated to mtb from motorbike trail riding in the late 80’ish monwards, mainly as the writing was on the wall for off road vehicle sports. I didn’t own a car till 27, max motorbikes at once – 8. After dropping out of (motor)trail riding tried road (motor)bikes but I don’t think my heart was really in it, have to say that towards the end I was right on the I’ve can’t live with out it/I’ve done 300 miles this year carry on – so I gave up gracefully. Mtb is just so much more practical – socially acceptable, lots of places to go, limited (*in comparison to motor) costs etc etc, a fantastic hobby.

Hoewever, if you’ve never gone loony on a decent dirt (motor) bike you truly are missing one the of greatest buzzes available.
    dt175mx
    xr200
    kdx200 air
    kdx200 water
    ktm 500 (*mistake, but I do know why the earth rotates)
    serow
    beta alp

snaps
    Free Member

Nice SP1 but odd graphics – result of the spill? I always tell people that I ride the ‘touring’ version of that when ask what I’ve got… After all, no-one remembers the VTR1000 do they?

No, Honda made 50 red & 50 silver ltd edition models when Edwards won WSBK championship.
    Nowt wrong with a Firestorm – mate had one fitted race exhausts & air filters then Dynojetted that used to pop flames back through the filters on the overun – it used to light up the road under him at night 😯

MSP

Well nearly 20 years, after I found myself sliding down the road looking at the sky, thinking this is familar, why am I here?* I gave it up, as I enjoy life too much.

I had an rg500 at the time, which was a hell of a lot of fun, but also quite a handfull at the best of times. I got into the powerband too soon coming out of a bend (and maybe hit some diesel as well, but I can’t be sure) and ended up in a dry stone wall, somehow survived relitvly unscathed. A couple of weeks later a friend was sideslapped by a bus (I was going to say a bus pulling out without looking but time and experience makes me wonder how clear cut it may have been) and crashed into a church, he was pretty badly messed up. So I decided not to replace my bike.

Now I live in Germany, when the weathers nice the lure of alpine passes does appeal, but I fancy getting something supermoto style rather than an all out race bike.

wordy1979
    Free Member

wordy1979
    Free Member

how do you upload pic its brought up a red cross????

snaps
    Free Member

On FlickR, right click on the image & select ‘large’ trhen cut & paste the ‘download this picture’ URL into STW pop up IMG box.

wordy1979
    Free Member

thanks for that

wordy1979
    Free Member

Snaps what is the stw pop up box??

snaps
    Free Member

When you click on ‘IMG’ a pop up box appears for the URL of the image

grantway
    Free Member

Electric Bike
    Kind of Hovis best of both !

wordy1979
    Free Member

wordy1979
    Free Member

ive done that still not working arrrghhhh.

wordy1979
    Free Member

GSXR Wheelie

snaps
    Free Member

If you edit your last post & add [/img] at the end, then it should work, the pop up just does it for you.

edit – you edited yours to quickly!

wordy1979
    Free Member

give up!!!!!!! lol.

wordy1979
    Free Member

i have done exactly what you have said…. NIGHTMARE : (

LoCo
    Free Member

Work in (very slow) progress, to follow different wheels, swingarm rear, shocks (DSP Duelers 😀 ), cartridge emulators for the forks or possibley a new front end, tail/seat unit, slight overbore on engine, with reprofiled cams, and lightened flywheel. All reversable back to standard trim too as she’s quite old so no chopping of the frame e.t.c

IMG00111-20101028-1126 by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

br
    Free Member

Neither.

MTB for fun, M/C to get to work.

i’m thinking of selling because the British weather is rubbish

There is no such thing as rubbish weather, just poor choice of clothing (and 5hit riders 🙂

Only needed my waterproofs on for 3 days in Feb/Mar/April/May this year.

wordy1979
    Free Member

wordy1979
    Free Member

There is when you enjoy knee scraping! lol.

juan
    Free Member

Motorbike, i’m actually selling the quicker one ( a pretty heavily tuned ZX7R) but keeping the slower one, Yam SRX although it will be considerably quicker than standard once the new engine’s done.

Now I am all ears… From where and how much… Mine is broken done (again she’s getting the same service span than a F16) So wondering whether i should get a spare motor so I could actually ride it… Tell me more about this emulator cartridge as well 😉

On the other hand, make sure the clamps and the swingarm axle are remachined…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bike or Motor bike??????’ is closed to new replies.