Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Motorway junctions you like?
  • geoffj

J2 on the M90 (Pitreavie) is doing it for me at the moment.

wallop

Always love J22 southbound on the M5.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

What a great thread.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

M5 J31 westbound. 20 minutes from home!

simmy
    Free Member

Hang on tight for M6 junction 33 heading south.

mattyfez

This thread has certainly piqued my indifference.

nickjb
    Free Member

This one, as it means we are nearly there:

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

J4 on the M3
    J21 on the M25
    J29 on the M1

I’ve been using those three a LOT recently.

5plusn8
    Free Member

That chicken one is good, Morzine ho!

antigee

def needs pics – used to love the simplicity of the M1 M62 Lofthouse interchange then when the M1 bypass thingy was built it went all tunnels and multilane to the north – transit or stopover? done plenty of both – depends a bit on the weather before cars had aircon stopping when it was sunny was best avoided. Best way to get there? Google actually randomly plotted me a bus route from 11 Canal Lane, Lofthouse Gate – no idea why but usually Google gets it right – regular and slow is best

…and it looks like you can even send your kids to school there

Rich_s

M56 J10. Got 3 jobs from interviews in the adjacent pub!

mrjmt
    Free Member

I was just going to post that one as it doesn’t work properly. Coming from M1 north to go right onto M62 east, you come around it in the inside lane but then you have the traffic coming from your left in the outside lane off the M1 South as you’re trying to get off the roundabout to take the M62.

Or something. There’s always people in the left lane going around it when you need to turn off from the inside lane anyway.

tthew

M56 J10. Got 3 jobs from interviews in the adjacent pub!

which one? There’s two on the junction, and a couple more within a few hundred yards. Not underboozered that junction!

antigee

^^^^^ mrjmt

suspect when originally built it had no bias – just good geometry, when rebuilt the planners consulted and worked out nobody really wanted to go to Hull or Scunthorpe or given the option of trying to get to Hull or Scunthorpe a multi vehicle crossover accident was preferential

edit whoops east and west mixed up there maybe – bit confused preference to go towards Hull from the north – possible I guess

jambourgie
    Free Member

Most Partridge thread ever.

slowoldman

M6 Junction 36.

crazy-legs

M6 Junction 36.

Which is excellent because it’s the gateway to the south Lakes as well as the nice flowing left hander coming from the south.

timber

In my summer job, there was quite a competition to see how fast the junction at the end of the M5 onto the A30 could be taken.

Rich_s

which one? There’s two on the junction, and a couple more within a few hundred yards. Not underboozered that junction!

Shirley there’s only one on the junction – Stretton Fox?

matt_outandabout

Junction 11 of M9.
    The end of the motorway.
    And home round the corner.

matt_outandabout

You do know there is a forum for these things…

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

SaxonRider

J20 M62. It means that, after a horrible, horrible drive up the M6 from Wales, I am almost at my parents’ house.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

J11 on the M42, the roundabout there has such sensible lanes, I don’t know why all roundabouts aren’t like this one. It works so well and simply, coming on to the roundabout you go in to the right hand lane unless you are taking the first exit, and then move to the left lane just before your exit.

grahamh
    Free Member

J5 on the M2 heading coast bound, turn off the A249 and cork screw.

perchypanther
    Free Member

M74 J19 – Ecclefechan

aracer
    Free Member

M6 J7. Not because of some significance of its location, but because of the intrinsic quality of the junction – it’s quite funny joining the roundabout on the inside and having to do a complete circuit to turn left.

kayak23

Can I have Lancaster services?
    The tower is bitchin.

matt_outandabout

The tower is gopping.

Ecclefechan. A fine name.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Lady Gresley – Member
    J11 on the M42, the roundabout there has such sensible lanes, I don’t know why all roundabouts aren’t like this one. It works so well and simply, coming on to the roundabout you go in to the right hand lane unless you are taking the first exit, and then move to the left lane just before your exit.

Yes, yes and yes!

Is somebody helping you?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I remember when the restaurant at lancaster services used to revolve 😉

spooky_b329

Not sure if it my favourite, but certainly memorable;

Going north on M77 and wanting the M8 to head towards Loch Lomond, and relying on satnav. Loads of lanes and junctions, you join the M8 going the wrong way and then Google Maps directs you down a slip road to a roundabout so you can turn around and head back the correct way.

Except that halfway down the slip, you notice that you are being directed to apparently turn right onto the roundabout, and suddenly you have taken a shortcut under the motorway through a wiggly width restriction in a contraflow alongside the roundabout, and then pop out the other side 🙂

kayak23

The Lancaster tower is great. Better than all the faceless samey glass box carp these days. It’s nice to have landmarks on the motorway.

I think they got rid of the Vote Pies declaration if I recall too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

48 on the A1M.
    1/2 a mile from home.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Going north on M77 and wanting the M8 to head towards Loch Lomond, and relying on satnav. Loads of lanes and junctions, you join the M8 going the wrong way and then Google Maps directs you down a slip road to a roundabout so you can turn around and head back the correct way.

Except that halfway down the slip, you notice that you are being directed to apparently turn right onto the roundabout, and suddenly you have taken a shortcut under the motorway through a wiggly width restriction in a contraflow alongside the roundabout, and then pop out the other side

You’re defo over complicating that, I do it regularly.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah “big silver cock” for me too – I’m not sure it means “we’re nearly there” but I think it pretty much marks the end of 6 months of featureless French motorway bit anyway, there’s just the “ohhhh look, were in the Alps now!” Motorway which lasts a week or 3 and then the final “there’s only 40k to go, we’re doing 80k we’ll be there in 30 mins bit” which marks the start of tight, twisty, falls so long you’ll be able to call 999 before you hit the bottom 2 hours of genuine fear – just as night falls usually for me.

Ambrose

Three favorites for me, sorr for breaking the rules but hey ho, this is STW…

No1. J49 of the M4, Northbound. I’ll be home in 20 minutes.
    No2. As above, Oyonnax on the autoroute bound for Les Gets. We sometimes leave at Annemasse to chill out on the d roads up to Tanninges. Unfortunately we had to drive it the other way around today, heading back to the UK.

No3. OH MY WORD- the totally bonkers madness that is the E25/ N205 heading away from Chamonix towards Geneva. Bloody fantastic! https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.9317932,6.7344324,3a,75y,200.75h,74.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn1i9V0FaIcp83Pa75Kj8WA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

spooky_b329

You’re defo over complicating that, I do it regularly.

I’m a tourist, in rush hour, with the common mistake of listening to the sat nav and therefore paying less attention to the signs 🙂

seadog101

J38 north bound on the M6. Long 270° left hander going into Teebay.
    Last bit of Mway before picturesque 40mins across the Pennines to home.

maccruiskeen

Except that halfway down the slip, you notice that you are being directed to apparently turn right onto the roundabout, and suddenly you have taken a shortcut under the motorway through a wiggly width restriction in a contraflow alongside the roundabout, and then pop out the other side

Its a mess of a junction and terrible for commercial vehicles (who are cutting across two lanes of traffic all sitting in that blindspot where cyclist get killed) to get off at the slip road with the chicane) – and thats the improved version. Basically when they built the intersection between the M77 and M8 they didn’t include any facility for traffic reaching the end of the M77 to turn west or for east bound M8 traffic to join the M77. Prior to the the wiggly chicane thing under the flyover the motorway traffic in both directions had to leave the respective motorways a junction early and cut through Bellahouston, sending a 100,000 cars a day past the front gate of a primary school.

breadcrumb

M74 J19 – Ecclefechan

I met a Louise from Ecclefechan once.

spooky_b329

Its a mess of a junction and terrible for commercial vehicles

I think that was part of the issue, driving a camper with said blindspot and in heavy rain. Its always gamble of how much time you can watch your blindspot without risking running into slowing traffic in front.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Motorway junctions you like?’ is closed to new replies.