Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Motorola Defy issue
  • spando
    Free Member

Hi my Defy has just suffered the common earpiece failure. It is over a year old, out of warrenty and contracted till Jan 2013.

Anyone had a successful resolution for this?

Any creative ideas to help get out of contract or get a new phone?……

(Not really keen on insuring it just to claim as that is a bit cheeky).

Cougar

I’d suggest that if it’s still in warranty, you’d reasonably expect it to last for the length of your contract (Sale of Goods and all that). Ring your provider.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mine did it twice, so I just live with it at the moment, just plug my headphones in or use the speaker phone. Sorry, no help here 😆

spando
    Free Member

Thanks, I took it in today and its just out of warranty.

The shop has sent it off for a repair quote, Glitter Garry I will let you know how much the quote is.

I love the idea of this phone and although its not the best android phone its ok for me. Just gutted that a rugged phone has let me down so pathetically. Surly in 2012 soldering should be perfected.

It drives me mad to hear manufacturers of many things from electrical goods to cars talk of common faults WTF! Bugger being a fast jet pilot or astronaut!

porter_jamie

i am on my 3rd defy now. i won’t be having another one! first one the earpiece failed, second one just wouldnt switch on all of a sudden. current one needs the battery taking out around once a day because it freezes. complete pita.

mikertroid
    Free Member

P_J +1!

Such a frustrating phone. I’ll never buy Motorola again and I’ll never go Android again.

Lesson learnt!

colande
    Free Member

yeah i wouldn’t recommend a defy to anyone
    in practice its my perfect phone but there seem to be too many niggles with it,
    mine suffers from freezing where u have to lock and then unlock the phone for it to become responsive again, apparently a common problem on this model

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

I think replacing the earpiece is pretty easy if you are happy to take it to bits.

I have the Defy Plus which has a better speaker without the problems of the original Defy. Really like my one, great on the bike computer as well as a phone.

Regards

soma_rich
    Free Member

Odd I have thirty uses using then for over a year with no hardware issues. What did you do to it to make it gaul long rides in a camelback?

Cougar

a) I said ring the provider, not take it to a shop.

b) IMHO they should be resolving it for free under the Sale of Goods Act due to it still being in contract, not sending it off for a quote.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My Defy was pants. The wife uses it now, until she realises its poo too.

I could cope with it freezing up and it’s poor battery life in a trade for the great screen (useless when raining), waterproof ness etc.

What I couldn’t stand was the dropping of the carrier signal when on a call. A most frustrating phone. It’s signal strength was always lower than any other phone I put my sim card in.

After a brief spell with a JCB pro talk (great phone but limited smartness) I just took delivery of an HTC Desire. Hoping that works out.

I would not consider another Defy and probably wouldn’t bother with Motorola phone again.

Wife was wondering why (her) defy says “emergency calls only” only this morning!

bellys
    Free Member

Not had a prob with mine until last week then the bloody thing won’t charge tryed diff charges some times it works then it won’t can not wait for my up grade in two mth.

muggomagic

It may be out of warranty, but there are rules that state that a product should have a realistic lifespan. You can’t offer a warranty for 1 year and the day after the product goes t*ts up and the manufacturer can say tough. If you buy a mobile and the contract is for 2 years the realistic lifespan for that mobile should be at the very minimum the length of the contract.
    Also with that model of phone it’s a common fault so therefore it should be repaired/replaced FOC. I had an issue with a phone on the 3 network out of warranty they offered to repair the phone FOC or replace it with a refurbished phone of my choice at a cost of between £10 – £50 depending on the model.

gee
    Free Member

My wife is now on her 4th Defy with Orange in about 4 months. Piece of crap.

GB

spando
    Free Member

Right thanks for the advice you have all got me fired up, am going to check out my rights, muggomagic I do recall such a rule so will check it out.
    Again thanks and am sorry to hear that others are inconvenienced by such unnecessary faults.
    Folks who enjoy the outdoors this phone is in principle perfect however………………. 😡

bonchance
    Free Member

see how you get on – if that becomes an exercise in frustration..

I had same problem and bought an earpiece replacement kit from China but on EbayUK

Came in a few days with all the tools you need and a little guide (evidence for SOGA if you need it – someone is in business in the back of this known fault!).

I don’t think you will get anywhere with Motorola as they subcontract repair to people who don’t really give a toss if they can’t invoice your or Moto 🙁 but hassle your phone company as they should take care of you really.

I had the phantom signal fault as well – found switching it from auto 3g solved the calls problem and increased btry life as well – not really missing 3g unless I’m sat on the train!

rambled enough now – good luck!

spando
    Free Member

Found this, hope it may help others.

EU directive 1999/44/EC states that: ‘A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period.’
    Crucially a key point in the directive is that it doesn’t require the buyer to show the fault is inherent in the product and not down to their actions, unlike the Sale of Goods Act.
    If you take a product back to a store and quote the EU rule you might find that some junior staff are not aware of it. However, if you take your complaint up the chain to the legal team then there are reports that stores will honour the two-year EU guarantee.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2057937/Your-rights-mobile-phone-breaks-contract.html#ixzz1ofEpNFr6

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m on my second, microphone stopped working after 7 months or so. Some messing around with their repair agents soured it a bit for me, but the one I have now has been OK so far and it does still tick all the boxes for me. Great little phone when all’s as it should be!
    The + came out just after I got mine, else I’d probably have got one of those.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Cheers spando, let us know how you get on with the shop. What network are you with? I’m on t-mobile by the way.

spando
    Free Member

Glitter garry I’m T mobile. Will let you know how it goes.
    😕

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

You could always use a Bluetooth headset if necessary. I,m halfway through a T-mobile contract.Few little glitches but its still working.

spando
    Free Member

Nice one T mobile, Just got my phone back repaired free of charge 😀 They also installed newer operating system and replaced the screen.
    All this without any bother other than taking my phone into the shop. I was told as the phone was out of warranty the repair centre would be in touch with a quote, however they did it under an exceptional warranty. Happy Days 😀

mikertroid
    Free Member

Unlike Carphone warehouse who demanded more than the phone was worth to fix it for the second time with the earpiece issue. Dreadful phone. Dreadful shop. Never again!

carlphillips
    Free Member

3rd phone on t mobile its a P.O.S
    all had earpiece failure last one they wouldn’t cover on warrenty and cost me £50 to repair, as soon as my contract is up im changing it.
    mine freezes all the time, keyboard issues too.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Motorola Defy issue’ is closed to new replies.