Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Motorists to be FINED for overtaking Cyclists, proposal by the governmnet
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/11/motorists-penalty-overtaking-cyclists-city-roads-transport-government-proposal

Looks good, and a good way of getting funding for cycle schemes, from the fines, alos lots of jobs created in enforcement.

win win situation

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great except

a good way of getting funding for cycle schemes

Ring fencing money never seems to work

alos lots of jobs created in enforcement.

It will end up being enforced by the same people currently doing it (ie not many) so also means very little money for point 1.

There are plenty of rules and laws to make the roads a safer place it’s just that people (regardless of if they are driving or riding) ignore them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I believe there is some research (can’t find it right now) that concludes that unenforced laws actually make things worse as getting away with it reduces people overall regard for traffic laws.

I’d love to see old fashioned traffic cops make a return. The sort who actually got to fcide whether you needed a fine or just a bollocking.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That sounds a really crap idea IMO.

stumpyjon

Onzadog +1, the more unenforceable rules that people don’t like the more people will regularly break rules. The trend for reducing speed limits in inappropriate places is proof of that. Meanwhile drivers who kill or assault cyclists continue to get off or get very lenient sentences.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Seems a daft idea.

convert

I can see it now – sad sack cycling ‘activists’ wobbling along at walking pace goading cars to pass them so they can film them with their helmet mounted gopros and make ‘outraged’ posts on internet forums and make us all look like even bigger cock wombles than we already do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

look like even bigger cock wombles than we already do.

Ever since that swearing thread it’s become the new favourite word!

nickjb
    Free Member

Would the naysayers care to elaborate? A few roads where cyclists have priority would be great. It could make for some nice, safer corridors through the city and is likely to be in places where 15mph is optimistic for cars anyway. It’ll hopefully stop the ‘must overtake so I can join the queue of traffic ahead’ attitude.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did! Unless you come up with a way of actually enforcing the rules then they will be ignored.

It’ll hopefully stop the ‘must overtake so I can join the queue of traffic ahead’ attitude.

About the most optimistic thing I’ve heard in a while, how many people do you see using a phone, speeding, creeping at red lights, moving into ASL’s, sitting in yellow box junctions etc. The rules are there, adding another set will let people claim to have done something when actually they have done nothing.

Solo
    Free Member

cycle streets

If you are going to have these, then why not just prohibit cars from said street, altogether ?

EDIT:
    Actually, now that the second brain cell is starting to wake up. Wouldn’t a better approach be, as in other countries. To keep cars and bikes apart ?

duntstick
    Free Member

Albert reckons it’s a great idea……….

nickjb
    Free Member

Most cities don’t have the space for separate lanes and they tend to run out when you get to the tricky bits. This seems like a realistic option. Round here bikes are the fastest form if transport once you get near the centre so limiting over taking seems sensible. Policing it will be hard but not impossible or impractical. At the very least it’ll stop vulnerable riders feeling like they have to ride in the gutter.

nickjb
    Free Member

Most cities don’t have the space for separate lanes and they tend to run out when you get to the tricky bits. This seems like a realistic option. Round here bikes are the fastest form if transport once you get near the centre so limiting over taking seems sensible. Policing it will be hard but not impossible or impractical. At the very least it’ll stop vulnerable riders feeling like they have to ride in the gutter.

how many people do you see using a phone, speeding, creeping at red lights, moving into ASL’s, sitting in yellow box junctions etc.

It’s a lot but it’s not everybody, in fact it is a minority. Currently pretty much everyone overtakes cyclists. Not everyone flouts the law and this seems like an easy rule to monitor as it will be limited to few places.

birdage

Don’t mind being overtaken but I’d like car drivers to learn how to overtake properly, i.e. indicating and giving plenty of room etc. When you’re trying to avoid drain covers and pot holes in the wind and rain and some idiot gets that close to you it’s a bit hairy.

Is overtaking cyclists a part of the driving test? They seem to be able to do it in France…..

Think these proposals are good as far as they go, they’re for specific locations, it’s the other roads that need action.

traildog
    Free Member

I don’t see how it’s ‘un-enforcable’. No more than passing through a red light and much more clear cut than the speed limit. You might as well throw away all traffic laws with that reasoning.

Solo
    Free Member

Think these proposals are good as far as they go, they’re for specific locations, it’s the other roads that need action

I’m not sure I agree. Dragging things down to the lowest common denominator doesn’t strike me as an especially clever answer to the problem. Slowing motorized vehicles to 15mph is going to cause other issues, pollution, traffic jams. I know this is a bike forum, but the road is an entire environment made up of many groups. Cyclists, drivers, pedestrians, we all share the road or the areas immediately adjacent.
    I’d rather see separate cycle lanes, but where this wasn’t possible, then close the road to cars and buses, with a restriction for loading, if required.
    Just my point of view and I’m open to other opinions.

welshfarmer

We used have 2 laws in this country (still have as far as I know)

dangerous driving &
    driving with undue care and attention

There are no motoring offences out there that could not be categorised by those 2 laws if there were a means of identifying and enforcing them (traffic cops?). New laws for specific offences just make people more aware of the potential issues of their actions but do nothing to increase convictions. However, they can lead to crazy situations where convictions are no longer based on common sense but rather on following the letter on these new laws.

badnewz
    Free Member

Having traded in an old banger for a new car, I’d say part of the problem is drivers don’t understand how quickly they are going, particularly when overtaking. New cars are so cushioned and quiet inside, but the experience is very different when you are on a bike.

There is also the sheer weight of traffic to take into account; where I live, Hertfordshire, the population has doubled to over a million in 20 years. My once quiet housing estate is now part of a quick cut-through for hundreds of commuters each morning.

As to introducing new laws, it’s often to do with an election coming up and trying to curry favour with the cycling lobby. How exactly are they going to be enforced?

Cycle lanes would be a great thing, of course, the irony being where they were actually built (new towns like Stevenage) they are hardly used by the locals. Let’s offer tax breaks to cyclists to move to Stevenage and Harlow:-

nedrapier

Here’s something that would be more useful:

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/9/5691098/why-cyclists-should-be-able-to-roll-through-stop-signs-and-ride US piece on US state laws, translatable for UK road signs

bikebouy
    Free Member

I can’t see the point of that, it’ll just alienate us even more..

nickjb
    Free Member

I can see the point of that, it’ll make cycling safer and more convenient 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

traildog – Member
    I don’t see how it’s ‘un-enforcable’

How many police do you see day to day? how many are looking at roads?

It’s not unenforceable just you would need to get somebody to enforce it.

franksinatra

cock wombles

My new favorite insult.

If this law came into effect Cyclegaz (shouty you tube number plate quoter) might actually explode on one of his commutes…..

theocb
    Free Member

I would much prefer an educational campaign regarding the overtaking of cyclists.
    If we could get drivers to consider cyclists the same way they do horses then I think it would be a huge step forward.

It isn’t just the pig headed drivers (and pig headed cyclists 😉 ) who cause the problem I think ‘average Joe’ drivers really aren’t sure how to pass a cyclist safely

Plenty of room and lot’s of patience please.

Solo
    Free Member

Plenty of room and lot’s of patience please.

Well, as a driver, why wouldn’t I do this anyway ? Fact is I do.

Obviously, efforts to clone me to replace every other person on the planet, have yet to reach a successful conclusion. Therefore we are faced with the scenario where some drivers simply will never be bothered to do this, for several reasons, which may or may not include “road tax” (yes I know its been abolished), I’m late, yadda, yadda.

Hence why, I feel its better to separate cyclists and cars.

leffeboy

Brussels ran a test of this sort of mixed bike/car thing with bikes being given priority on one of the main narrow roads here last year. Their view was that it was a success and the scheme is now being extended

My view is that it seems to work well as long as cyclists take their space rather than trying to keep to close to one edge as then the cars try and squeeze by. I haven’t seen any hassle except by militant cyclists, cars seem to accept it. It feels safer that marked lanes as well as cars don’t seem to consider that there is ‘their lane’ that they can speed down

I’m for it

(edit: I would prefer completely separated lanes but where that isn’t possible this works rather nicely)

cookeaa

I can just see 15 mph and “No overtaking cyclists” zones, especially with fines/points for doing so, either helping to build more resentment between the two road user groups (if actually enforced) or contributing towards the general disregard for road legislation (if written in, but not actually enforced)…

I’m not sure cyclists actually need any bylaw protection from overtaking vehicles, a focus on better road layouts and measures to make motorists aware of cyclists presence especially at pinch points, so they spot us or don’t “Left Hook” at junctions…

Enforcement of current legislation should be the test, for example if more people were bollocked/having points taken for using their phones when driving then I’d perhaps believe more traffic rules were warranted but the Rozzers don’t have the resources or much interest in that presently, so what would make these additional measures any different?

Preventative planning, not extra legislation is where the focus should go IMO…

Separation of the three main user groups is the ideal I suppose, but not always practicable… I’d be more interested to see what might come from local authorities taking on some of the [urlhttp://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-services/infrastructure/route-design-resources/technical-guidelines]Sustrans guidance[/url] than more punitive measures that just get the clarksonites up in arms…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

It’s an utterly stupid idea. Completely unnecessary and counterproductive.

It’ll just really really piss motorists, and cyclists off and not give any benefit. There are already laws in Britain that should protect cyclists, it’s just that they haven’t been implemented properly. Partly because cyclists are viewed as being sub human. That’s not going to change by bringing in this law.

People are talking about 15mph here, but a significant number of utility cyclists travel much closer to 10mph. It’s just ludicrous to expect cars to crawl along behind them. And whatabout the traffic jams of medium-fast cyclists stuck behind cars that are stuck behind slow cyclists. They’re going to be limited to whatever speed the front biker is going.

And for those people in favour, are you happy to keep to 15mph on your bike? I doubt it. Presumably you’ll just be ignoring the limit like so many bikers ignore red lights.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m rabidly pro cyclist and anti motorist, but this proposal sucks big time.

Solo
    Free Member

Preventative planning, not extra legislation is where the focus should go IMO…

Yeap.

I’m rabidly pro cyclist and anti motorist
    However, if we’re to find a real solution, then perhaps we need to leave our prejudices at the door and take a balanced view.

I drive and I also cycle. Frustrated drivers, dragging along at 15mph would give me cause for concern. Also, I want to see respect for cyclists and their safety, elevated.

…this prohibition could be accompanied by an advisory speed limit of 15mph

Considering how many motorists consider all other speed limits to be advisory, I don’t see how this will ever work.

nickjb
    Free Member

Which cities are you guys driving in where 15mph is crawling along? We aren’t talking every main arterial road, just a few in each city, likely close to the centre. Round here you’ll do well to get up to 15mph except for the odd short bit when the lights change (which TBH you really don’t need to do at 30mph)

I totally agree that stopping motorists performing dangerous acts would be better but if anything its getting worse, not better so doing nothing is not an option.

cookeaa

And for those people in favour, are you happy to keep to 15mph on your bike? I doubt it. Presumably you’ll just be ignoring the limit like so many bikers ignore red lights.

Lets not start attributing blanket statements on anyone behaviour on the road, I am certainly not an RLJist thanks, And I’d accept that within built up areas of towns and cities, a bicycle (Much like a car) might have to travel at a reduced speed for general safety and to actually aid overall traffic flow…

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m rabidly pro cyclist and anti motorist, but this proposal sucks big time.

There’s the problem polarized “Debates” help nobody. As a wise member of this forum recently posted “Pick a side and be a dick about it”…

Getting caught up in Pro/Anti mud slinging misses the point, 99.99% of people whether in a car, on a bike or on foot, just want to get where they are going, in a timely fashion without receiving or inflicting injury, we’re not all that different.

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t pretend to know whether this would work, or indeed whether it would affect me, but the silly bitch this morning, who decided the moment to overtake was when I put my arm out to turn right should be fined.

klumpy
    Free Member

The scheme doesn’t go far enough. If we’re gonna have zones of progressless dawdling behind the slowest cyclist on the day, then NO-ONE should be allowed to pass anyone. So no filtering past the cars and nipping by the ‘not real cyclist’ on a BSO at the front.

vinnyeh

How’s this work for motorcycles and scooters then?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Assume they are “vehicles” and bound by it?

D0NK

The scheme doesn’t go far enough. If we’re gonna have zones of progressless dawdling behind the slowest cyclist on the day, then NO-ONE should be allowed to pass anyone.

thought about this myself when car drivers get pissed at cyclists filtering, option would be that no one can overtake anyone else unless there are multiple lanes, reckon the car drivers would get pissed off with this before cyclists tho.

vinnyeh

thought about this myself when car drivers get pissed at cyclists filtering, option would be that no one can overtake anyone else unless there are multiple lanes, reckon the car drivers would get pissed off with this before cyclists tho.

Really? City boy Dynamo sitting behind tourist on Boris bike? Just can’t see it myself. 🙂
    Motorcyclists would be the worst though

leffeboy

The scheme doesn’t go far enough. If we’re gonna have zones of progressless dawdling behind the slowest cyclist on the day, then NO-ONE should be allowed to pass anyone.

As much as I don’t like it you might be right. I saw a cyclist in this zone this morning run up the inside of a car and then smack its windscreen for being too close. There was no cycle lane so there was no issue with where the car was 🙁 arse

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Motorists to be FINED for overtaking Cyclists, proposal by the governmnet’ is closed to new replies.