Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Moto-Cross Bikes on Bridleways
  • ShaunW1973
    Free Member

So today me and a couple of friends hit the trails around Hope in Derbyshire. Toward the end of our ride we were descending down some rocky trails and had to move out of the way for a convoy of about eight enduro type moto-x bikes.

These weren’t young kids being knobs, these were all adult blokes trundling along.

Seemed wrong to me. Are motorbikes allowed on bridleways?

redthunder
    Free Member

No.

Unless they have permission form the land owner or own it themselves.

But they should yield to you or a walker though.

I don’t know the trail. Are you sure it’s a bridleway, not a Byway, RUPP or BOAT ?

Link to a map of the area ?

A quick look on Memory Map and I can only see one Byway near Hope, just to the East of Great Hucklow.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Unless they have permission from the land owner or own it themselves.

But they should yield to you or a walker though. ???questionable???

Or the route has historical/developed higher rights that are not recorded on the definitive map

fivespot
    Free Member

Enduro or MX type !? there is a big difference.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did the bikes have nuber plates? if so they are trail bikes not moto crossers

Adult blokes trundling along – TRF types so they are usually very careful to remain on legal tracks. Could be being cheeky tho

redthunder
    Free Member

But they should yield to you or a walker though. ???questionable???

They cant block or impede your right of way.

I don’t give a toss anymore when I encounter them. Just let them pass and ride on.

Filthy
    Free Member

Cheeky can’t fault em, I’d be a hypocrit if I did.

Now chavvy kids on crossers, they are the real menace.

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

Suspect it was either Pin Dale or the Roman Road, Pin Dale is a byeway, Roman Rd is a bridleway that used to be a byeway (I think), so Pin Dale OK for motorbike, Roman Road not OK.
    But I might be wrong.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Chapel gate is a byway,roman road no one seems to work out.definitive map shows ancient right of way.so people use it.Roych clough so far aswell.Alot of gates when you are on a motobike up the roman road.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

i Hate this subject! (the i Can but You can’t) thing makes my frickin blood boil, NO ONE owns this planet we all live on, we just share it while we draw breath …. get over it and move on HTH 😆

singlespeedstu

How dare any one enjoy them selves in a different way to you…

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have no problem with them if they are riding sensibly it’s when they go every where at full throttle spinning the back wheel and chewing up the trails.

Ambrose

Take a photo of their reg plates.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Ambrose – Member
    Take a photo of their reg plates

and do what??? go tell tales on people out enjoying the countryside?

you can but they cant! aaaaarrrrggggh 👿

singlespeedstu

Baaaaarrrrrpp. 😆

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Might be hard to take pics of their number plates expect they are covered in mud.

docrobster
    Free Member

‘sfunny I was out around Hope for 7 hours today riding lots of bridleways and also the roman road, roych clough and chapel gate and I didn’t see a single mx or enduro bike or even any landies.
    Wonder where they were hiding?

ampthill

I don’t see myself as anti powered vehicles on the trails where they are allowed

But the notion that the Peak trails could survive powered vehicles on any trail is a joke. So no in my opinion its not OK however carefully they were riding

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Fat knackers who couldn’t pedal up their mum’s backs without motorised aids. Hate ’em. Trash the tracks and think it’s their entitlement to do so. Selfish, conceited **** by and large.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Fat knackers who couldn’t pedal up their mum’s backs without motorised aids. Hate ’em. Trash the tracks and think it’s their entitlement to do so. Selfish, conceited **** by and large

bit like 90% of us lot on here then Eh 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It alldepends – have we extablished if it was a legal trail or not> Note the OP

these were all adult blokes trundling along.

Hardly the type to trash trails.

Off road motorcyclists tend to come in two forms – legal and illegal. The legal ones tend to be very careful – check the Trail riders fellowship site. The ride legal bikes on legal trails – quiet, civilised and don’t wreck the trails – unlke illegal ones.

Heathen woods – ampthill – no footpath riding for you then? he who is without sin…….

singlespeedstu

HeathenWoods – Member

Fat knackers who couldn’t pedal up their mum’s backs without motorised aids.

You’ve never riden an MX/Enduro bike have you…

amodicumofgnar

Trail bikers being where they shouldnt in the Peak is enough of an issue for there to be a carrot and stick approach. Carrot – info on where to ride and identifying routes that can take motorised traffic. Stick – operation blackbrook, catch and crush or fine. Usually for road traffic offences.

ampthill

Heathen woods – ampthill – no footpath riding for you then? he who is without sin…….

I’m not unaware of the pot kettle black issue here. In my defence outside of Woburn (which has an access agreement) and another small local wood. I’m pretty careful about sticking to legal trails. I have done one cheekey trail in the Peak in the 80’s but I wouldn’t now

However in my mind increased trail access in the peak for bikes could be made to work. I’m not sure it could for motorised vehicles

simonm
    Free Member

I dont get why we tow the line so much..

So, MTB riders are supposed to give way to walkers, walkers to horses.. Horses have the highest right of way on Bridleways.. Until it comes to Motorbikes on Roman road who just furking drive towards you and everyone has to get out of the way…. Thats my xp of them on that bridleway…

There is that whole erosion debate.. during which everyone IGNORES the MASSIVE trail the Motorbike riders have struck straight across the hill between Roman road and the higher bridleway.. just for fun..

Makes you want to give up slowing down for the other users as they don’t appear to give a flying ****. Why tow the line any more ? Lets take the footpaths…

Popocatapetl

Passed me today at the Hope cross and later at Lockerbrook Farm on the way down to Derwent reservoir. Sure there not supposed to be on there, but met two 4x4s last summer coming up Ashton clough! not sure if they’re allowed on it or not. The signs aren’t very clear around the area and the maps don’t help. Met one (a KTM 400) coming down Jacobs 2 weeks ago at 0630 on a Saturday morning, Very cheeky 😯

JohnnyPanic

docrobster – Member

‘sfunny I was out around Hope for 7 hours today riding lots of bridleways and also the roman road, roych clough and chapel gate and I didn’t see a single mx or enduro bike or even any landies.
    Wonder where they were hiding?

So was I – Hope Valley Challenge.
    I’d just got to the water splash at Roych Clough and 20 – 30 of the buggers turned up (they did have number plates). I exagerate not. Just had to wait for them all to pass.
    Then they all stopped, I passed them, then they started off again & caught me 100Mts before the road. Had to stop & wait again. Chuffers.

Ambrose

Take their numbers. Check map re: legality to ride there. If illegal consider reporting them to National Park/ FC/ Local RoW officer.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone- yes, let him do it. If it hits me so be it, it’s my own fault, and it serves me right. And if a biker is in the wrong place at the wrong time then let them have the apocryphal stone cast at them.
    The RoW situation in the UK is a mess (quite literally in places) but at the moment we are stuck with what we’ve got although there are ways of changing things via the CROW act. My main objection to powered vehicles in the open countryside is the damage that they do due to their sheer power damaging the ground by tearing it up. By the same argument I am happy to concede that MTBs and feet (human and equine) can do proportional amounts of damage and should also be limited/ banned from previously accessible areas until the damage is repaired. Who is to undo the damage and who is to monitor this I do not know.

ShaunW1973
    Free Member

Passed me today at the Hope cross and later at Lockerbrook Farm on the way down to Derwent reservoir. Sure there not supposed to be on there, but met two 4x4s last summer coming up Ashton clough! not sure if they’re allowed on it or not. The signs aren’t very clear around the area and the maps don’t help. Met one (a KTM 400) coming down Jacobs 2 weeks ago at 0630 on a Saturday morning, Very cheeky

Glad you saw them as well as Docrobster seems to think I imagined it all.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Saw them in Hathersage after the hvmbc. For me its more a question of environmental impact.

I ride my bike on footpaths but try to do it as responsibly as I can i.e. go when trail conditions are dry/dryish and away from the popular times.

If I am riding a route where the habitat I damage will recover quickly then I am not too worried but if I was crossing a rare habitat such as the Cairngorm plateau where damage would take decades to repair then I question if i really need to do that route.

Whilst 250+ mountain bikers also cut up the wet trails around Hope yesterday at least some of the money we raised went to maintaining the bridleways we were riding on.

My impression (rightly or wrongly) is that a lot (but not all) of the MX’ers & 4×4 drivers seem to have scant regard for the environmental impact they are having.

simonm
    Free Member

For me its more a question of environmental impact

Its worse than that.. they are outright breaking the law and simply getting away with it.
    Its a free for all and they know they can get away with it scott free.

There is a safety aspect here that hasn’t been addressed. Its illegal for MOTOR vehicles to drive on footpaths to protect the non motorised from being killed ! As these people user more and more FP and Bridleways… at later and later times of the day, inevitably soon someone will be run over by them.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

…just opening my lighter fuel….ah,

I used to race moto-x, yonks ago, on designated tracks..JSUK.

The underlying point to all this; if it’s legal, and perhaps more importantly, ‘morally acceptable’ (see integrity if you’re unsure) then fair enough…I don’t care for it myself these days but we’re all different.

To paraphrase the statement ‘we all live on’ (not digging there, it’s just a good lead into my point) provides a clue that, in order there remains ‘TGO’ for all and future STW/ enduro-junkies we need to refrain from ripping up trainstrails (LOL) we ARE NOT allowed on…conservative approach?

Just an observation, apologies if anyone takes it otherwise.

Oh, just a quick one – was out a couple of winters ago and personally observed an ‘Ape’ ripping capping stones from a Peak District drystone wall to place under the wheels of his ‘SHITE’ Vauxhall Frontera’

If you are going to drive xc then please speak to someone who’s experienced it over a variety of continents…I’m available free-lance 😛

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Great pic singlespeedstu, but that ain’t no green-lane.

QED

IainGillam
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    You’ve never riden an MX/Enduro bike have you…

I suspect you might be right, and nice pictures.

How about if they are riding illegally report them, if not stop moaning.

Iain

simonm
    Free Member

I do and have done.. Nothing wrong with trying to get in touch with a group of users (us) to raise the issue’s profile with the police.

When we had sever issues at Wharncliffe, the police said to us that the best way to get action was for everyone to report the occurrences to the 101 number. The police said that 101 number actions where scored by the frequency of complaints. More complaints = more likely to get action.

IainGillam
    Free Member

simonm – Member
    I do and have done.. Nothing wrong with trying to get in touch with a group of users (us) to raise the issue’s profile with the police.

When we had sever issues at Wharncliffe, the police said to us that the best way to get action was for everyone to report the occurrences to the 101 number. The police said that 101 number actions where scored by the frequency of complaints. More complaints = more likely to get action.

Fantastic, there is nothing more damaging to the MX community than people riding illegally. But the comment was more aimed at the OP. Nothing wrong with raising the issue to a bunch of users, it is a good idea and if the OP had found out if it was illegal then posted “illegal riders at… etc” that would have been all well and good. If they, however, are riding legally it is merely mirroring the ramblers judgement of mtb’ers “insert group shouldn’t be here because”.

Iain

singlespeedstu

Love Tubs – Member

Great pic singlespeedstu, but that ain’t no green-lane.

QED

And 99.9% of stuff that gets compainined about on here as”MXer/Enduro riders have destroyed my trails” is **** all to do with MXers/Enduro riders so it’s close enough on the same scale. 😆

simonm
    Free Member

cool Iain.

One point at Wharncliffe.. we were pissed as they started riding the trail that we had cut by hand in our own time..that’s not going to go down well with anyone.

And the range of riders was from Chavs on 25’s to fully suited and booted Enduro riders.

ta.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Moto-Cross Bikes on Bridleways’ is closed to new replies.