Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 271 total)
  • Most Over Rated Band In History.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I love this revisionist bollocks Effin’s spouting

It’s simply fact. The Beatles are overrated, because instead of being this wonderful amazing ‘best baynd in the World’ type mythical beast, they were simply a bunch of talented musicians who were very adept at plagiarism…

Without Epstein, it could well be argued that they woon’t have been anything successful.

You simply don’t like the truth being spelled out to you. Don’t like your dreams being shattered…

The thread is about the ‘most overrated bayndin history’. That baynd is the Beatles. Pure and Simple.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_13RyJWqQs[/video]

emsz
    Free Member

Chuck Berry, Elvis, Little Richard, the Beach Boys, Buddy Holly and others. Later, you’ve got yer Pink Floyd

you said less famous (don’t just run to wikipedia that’s just cheating, you big cheat) 😛

anto164
    Free Member

Stone Roses.. a few people i know absolutely bum off them.

I really do not see what they see in them. They even split up when my mates were toddlers.

tazzymtb

Pioneers of the whole thrash metal genre!!!

no they were not, they were part of the early thrash metal scene along with so many bay area bands. They were also influenced heavily be the UK band discharge, so really metallica where just another thrash group who became rather dull pretty much after master of puppets.

personally I think anthrax and suicidal tendencies were far more pioneering and slayer have more always more thrash 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

Please don’t lump van halen in with the rest of the hair metal crap. The fact that they feature one of the most influential guitarists in history is, on it’s own, enough to set them apart.

What? they are hardly good enough to be graced with the genre “hair metal”. I used to call bands like that “heavy plastic” because of how derivative of the real metal bands they were

One of the most influential guitarists in history?

Duane Eddy, Les Paul. Clapton, Santana, Chuck berry, Hendrix, Gary Moore, BB king, these are the sort of names of influential guitarists.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They are less famous than the Beatles!

And Ravi Shankhar influenced George Harrison and how many people have heard of him, in the West?

I listen to all sorts me; if I like it then it’s good, imo.

Having listened to all sorts of music, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Beatles are overrated. does not in any way mean they’re no good, far from it. Just that they’ve enjoyed success, adulation and acclaim beyond their real talent and achievement. IE, overrated.

Same way Madonna’s bin about for so long; good luck to her, she’s made some good pop music, but just cos you’ve sold X billion albums don’t mean you’re the best. See the AC/DC comments for proof.

tazzymtb

sold X billion albums don’t mean you’re the best.

so how else would you measure the best then elfy darling? the ones with the nicest shoes, the band that have been voted for the most by pressing the red button on an interactive show on sky?

see you are wronger than a wrong thing in big box of wrong things, but you just can’t admit it. it’s a failing you have, but I love you anyway 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What about Dave Gilmore, TJ? A brilliant guitarist.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nowt special ~Elf – influential? How many folk wanted to play like him? took up guitar to be like him? does he stand alongside the giants?

Floyd are badly overrated imo as well

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I listen to all sorts me; if I like it then it’s good, imo.

isn’t that the same for everyone?

cinnamon_girl

FCOL Elf GAG 😯

The Beatles were just a bit before my time but they were unique and have made a huge contribution to music. I’m not actually a fan but recognise their achievements.

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, I’m agreeing with TJ – Floyd are over-rated!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

so how else would you measure the best then elfy darling?

So you’re measuring quality by quantity of records sold then?

Ok, so you must therefore think that Mariah Carey is one of the greatest music artists of all time then? 😕

Nowt special ~Elf – influential? How many folk wanted to play like him? took up guitar to be like him? does he stand alongside the giants?

Erm, well I’ve known several who rate Gilmore as one of the very best, and yes, they do want to emulate him. I think he does stand amongst the ‘giants’, yes.

Floyd are badly overrated imo as well

I disagree entirely. Watch ‘Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii’. Then come back and we’ll discuss. 🙂

The Beatles were just a bit before my time but they were unique and have made a huge contribution to music. I’m not actually a fan but recognise their achievements.

I’m not disputing that, CG. Just pointing out that they’re overrated; if you’re talking purely in musical terms.

Seems that the mere suggestion that the Beatles might be a teensy bit overrated is treated as heresy, blasphemy even! 😀

deviant
    Free Member

The problem with naming bands like Nirvana, Beatles etc as over rated is that they have actually done some great stuff….the Nevermind album from Nirvana is superb, every track potentially a hit single and no fillers to bulk it out with….rare in this day and age….and completely different to some of the self indulgent shite they did afterwards.

My dad has every Beatles album and will happily listen to every track, i dont see the appeal in that respect but songs like Lucy In The Sky, Eleanor Rigby, Come Together and A Day In The Life are brilliant….again, completely different to the garbage like I Wanna Hold Your Hand or Love Love Me Do.

The Rolling Stones have done some sublime stuff….Sympathy For The Devil, Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter are all true classics and it shouldnt detract from the some of the pish they’ve also put out.

Basically if a band is around for any length of time then they will put out some good and some bad….perhaps a better question would be what is the most over rated album you can think of?

For me that would be the recent album by The XX, it was masturbated over by just about everybody in the industry so i bought it….utter wrist slitting crap.

For me a great band is one that releases an album that you listen to and cant believe your luck that there are 10+ tracks that are all brilliant, its a rare thing.

Pink Floyd….Another Brick In The Wall, Comfortably Numb, Money, Wish You Were Here….amazing songs and stuff that up and coming bands would love to produce.

Led Zep….Good Times Bad Times, You Shook Me, Whole Lotta Love, Stairway To Heaven, Kashmir, All Of My Love….

no bands putting out these kinds of tracks that are still downloaded by 20 year olds 30-40 years after the original releases can be considered over rated.

cinnamon_girl

Elf – I’ve seen Dave Gilmore a few times. I also saw Floyd when they presented Dark Side of the Moon at Wembley in 1970-something.

As TJ says, there’s better guitarists – B B King, Hendrix, Gary Moore and my current fave Joe Bonamassa.

tazzymtb

so you must therefore think that Mariah Carey is one of the greatest music artists of all time then?

yep, but i prefer her tribute act

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQt-h753jHI[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Elf – floyd was acceptable in the 70s but nowadays? really you should know better. decent band of their time but sooooooooooooooooobadly dated

here is another overated band – the smiths. Morrisy a decent wordsmith but the fawning over the Marr is well ott

zippykona

When I first heard Teen Spirit I thought it was just a Pixies rip off.
    Still do.
    I will also add Talking Heads to the list.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

CG; you are truly spoiled. 🙁

As TJ says, there’s better guitarists – B B King, Hendrix, Gary Moore and my current fave Joe Bonamassa.

TJ sez a lot of things.

Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist, and up there with those TJ’s mentioned, imo. Different to most of those others, being that they’re mainly Blues and R+R guitarists, but just as good technically. Just cos it don’t move you don’t mean it ain’t good.

The problem with naming bands like Nirvana, Beatles etc as over rated is that they have actually done some great stuff

I’ve said this. And explained why the Beatles are overrated, but people seem to be missing the point somewhat…

Oh and another Solo artist that people wet themselves over, that I just don’t think was deserving of quite such an exalted status, is Michael Jackson. There is not one MJ song in my iTunes. I think he had a couple of good tunes, Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal being two of them, but Earth Child? 😯 Please.

Yet mention MJ in any negative context, and oh my God his fayns will descend on you like a pack of hyenas.

Another who benefited enormously from having a svengali to guide him. But later stuff, which is much more his own, is utter shite, let’s be honest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist,

Is he?

Anyway influential was the claim – and who wanted to be glimour? copy his paying style?

IMO he is no where near the greats

Junkyard
    Free Member

nilson is one of the most under rated but he did not write ken lee iirc

Qwality link tazzy

I quite like floyd, i would never describe them as a fav band but i have many of their albums.
    MJ was always poor IMHO and yes his fans love him even though his relations with children is at best dubious and his music utter garbish

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Anyway influential was the claim – and who wanted to be glimour? copy his paying style?

Plenty, I’d imagine.

And IMO he is. Who is right?

(Actually it’s me so don’t bother arguing)

cinnamon_girl

Elf – yes I’ve been spoiled by the 70’s, it really was a fantastic era for so many different types of music. 8) I felt part of it, you know, living in That Lundun!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

yep, but I prefer her tribute act

😆

Ken lee, tulibu dubu douchou

😯

No stoppit now it’s not funny.

zippykona

Don’t knock Gilmour, technical prowess teamed with feeling and delicacy.
    If a day of reckoning ever comes and the spaceman says ‘what have you humans done that’s any use?’ We could say we made music. And if they asked to hear music, we’d pop on Darkside and the human race would be spared.
    Best guitarist ever? Hendrix.

tazzymtb

And if they asked to hear music, we’d pop on Darkside the cheeky girls and the human race would be spared.

voodoo_chile

the beatles churned out quality from rubber soul onwards in my opinion , listen to every beatles album from rubber soul onwards and realise how many great tracks they cut …in the early days over rated but churned out single after single for the masses , which is a talent in itself , FACT the beatles shaped music and society more than any other artist of the time !!!
    I am the walrus ,coo coo cachoo

stevewhyte
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist,
    Is he?

Some times you talk pi5h

But its not your fault that you have no taste, its your upbringing. 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Steve – really? Influential like Les paul? a great like clapton?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Eric Clapton was a racist…

scu98rkr
    Free Member

i think elf theory is basically this.

All taste in music is subjective. Therefore it is really impossible to rate bands more highly than one another and all bands must be at the same level.

Thefore the band that is considered to best or the most highly rated is also the band that is the most over rated.

This band is probably the beatles.

samuri
    Free Member

At first I thought U2 but actually if you just listen to the music and ignore the arseholes singing it it’s actually not too bad.

So I’m going for the Smiths. I seriously have never been able to get what that’s about. I’ve never heard a Smiths song that didn’t make me cringe at how ridiculous the people are who think they’re great. Normal, sensible people who I respect will tell me Morrisy is some sort of genius when it’s clear to my dog he’s misguided, naive and childish. The songs all sound like a whining teenager bitching about his pocket money and he’s so up his own bum I just want to slap some sense into him.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Steve – really? Influential like Les paul? a great like clapton?

Sorry Claptout, i would have given you the benifit of the doubt untill you said that.

Talk about overrated.

Gilmore is class, its as simple as that.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

samuri – Member

So I’m going for the Smiths. I seriously have never been able to get what that’s about. I’ve never heard a Smiths song that didn’t make me cringe at how ridiculous the people are who think they’re great. Normal, sensible people who I respect will tell me Morrisy is some sort of genius when it’s clear to my dog he’s misguided, naive and childish. The songs all sound like a whining teenager bitching about his pocket money and he’s so up his own bum I just want to slap some sense into him.

Oh boy do you speak the truth. I would do time for the Smiths if i had a baseball bat and a spare 10 mins. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

And now I have read the responses.

Jebus! ACDC? Did someone say Hendrix?

Crack, on, are, you?
    I guess there’s no accounting for muscial taste but anyone who refuses to accept the influence that the beatles and hendrix and the stones had on the world should accept that their own view of music is heavily restricted.

The beatles changed the musical world. You don’t have to like them but over rated? Nope, sorry. You’re wrong. It was a revolution and it affected the music you like today, get your head round it.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Take that, just raping hard earned cash off middle-aged housewives.not a band but Elvis friggin prestley ,absolute rubbish. This is not fact only my opinion:)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I will help you do the slapping there samurai imagine him squealing not the face not the face…I may have thought about that too much there
    elfin would never argue his point that well or coherently or without any mockney
    Please watch the tazzy clip

samuri
    Free Member

This is my last post on the subject but again….it’s not just the music but the influence. If Elvis made himself famous by producing idle pop trash, I’d agree with you but he made himself famous by totally changing the world. Not just the music world, but the world. He’s one of the most famous people who ever lived, in the top ten for most people I’d say, and he was just a singer.

Influencial? Mother of god, yes!!! Over rated? His music might have been but how he changed the world should be rated alongside the influence Caesar and Hitler had on us.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The beatles (and others) changed the Western commercial musical world.

FTFY.

There are artists in India, China, Brazil/South America etc who outsell most Western artists many times over. Artists you’ve never heard of.

But hey, what does the rest of the non-English speaking World matter, eh? 🙄

it affected the music you like today, get your head round it.

Funny; last I checked, The Beatles were around sometime after Mozart, Beethoven and the like were doing their thang… 😕

And how d’you know what I listen to? Are you familiar with all of my musical choices and tastes? No din’t think so be quiet now pliz thnx.

Influencial? Mother of god, yes!!! Over rated? His music might have been but how he changed the world should be rated alongside the influence Caesar and Hitler had on us.

Now you’re just babbling. 😐

This is my last post on the subject

Thank heavens for small mercies… 😉

Raindog
    Free Member

i thought my suggestion for Beatles would be controversial but obviously not

It is, but I can’t be bothered to argue with you 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘Most Over Rated Band In History.’ is closed to new replies.