Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 271 total)
  • Most Over Rated Band In History.
  • emsz
    Free Member

cream are **** awful.

‘supergroups’ are nearly always disappointing

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Problem with all music threads is a lot of it is about taste and opiniion.

I must confess I had never heard EVH referred to in this reverential way before.

And I state above that he leaves me cold. But I also know that he is regarded as a very good player and very influential.

It is no wonder people keep getting drawn into arguments with you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mikey – I’ll be interested to see that.

But inspired a whole generation? Is that not overstating it a bit? I was a huge metal fan back in the day and found them dull and derivative and basically uninspiring.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought they were supposed to be metal – a style created in the UK in the 70s by bands such as I mention – no?

Deep Purple are not heavy metal. Cream really are nowhere near to being heavy metal.

Black Sabbath perhaps yes (as the term was invented for them IIRC). But Van Halen play an entirely different genre of metal so can’t be said to copy them anyway – not unless there is any similarities in how they compose their music, such as the off-key style Sabbath are known for. I don’t see any similarities in their styles at all – please feel free to point me in the direction of examples of where they have copied them though.

BoardinBob

Anyway, my selection

Muse – Pompous overblown dirge. They should’ve stuck to being 2nd rate mid-90s sounding Radiohead clones instead of reinventing themselves as Queen.

Kings of Leon – “rock” music for people that don’t like rock music. The guys voice makes me want to hurt him.

Abba – Just awful. I cannot even begin to comprehend their popularity. I refuse to believe any true music fan likes them, and they’re only popular with the type of people that buy one record a year and don’t actually like music.

Dickyboy

Was Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

the fact that this is one of the better tracks on the White Album says it all really, god what a pile of poo that album is & massively rated too! Should have just released “Revolution” as a single & be done with it

emsz
    Free Member

I like Abba

😛

BoardinBob

I like Abba

You, and a million other women. Therein lies the problem.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – I was a heavy metal fan back in the 70s and these bands created and defined the genre. All “metal” bands that followed were following them.

Van halen a diffent genre? so not heavy metal then at all? 😕

emsz
    Free Member

dickyboy,

are you joking? the white has on it (from memory) Blackbird, Helter Skelter, Back in the USSR, Dear prudence, While my guitar gentle weeps, martha my dear, Yer blues.

emsz
    Free Member

boardinbob, what has my being a girl, and liking abba got to with anything?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are not qualified to comment on Hair metal – a music for unwashed male teenagers 🙂

BoardinBob

boardinbob, what has my being a girl, and liking abba got to with anything?

Abba = music for women, and women buy some amount of crap music. 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – I was a heavy metal fan back in the 70s and these bands created and defined the genre. All “metal” bands that followed were following them.

Van halen a diffent genre? so not heavy metal then at all?
    So was I and still am – been going to gigs since I was 14. Cream were never metal and Purple, hmmm – pushing it quite a bit.

And Van Halen are an entirely different genre or metal yes. You have your heavy rock, heavy metal, nu wave metal, hair rock, glam rock, thrash metal, death metal…

I ask you again – show me how Van Halen copied Purple, Sabbath or Cream if you actually believe what you are saying.

emsz
    Free Member

here are TJ and MF arguing the toss about about heavy metal, and your accusing me of crap music tastes?

😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

These bands created the genre did they not? along with others. a lot later another band comes along and plays a the same genre. Pure co incidence?

All bands that play in an existing genre are copying the originators of that genre

I didn’t think you were old enough to have been going to see these bandsin the 70s

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Note to self: Do not click on this thread again, it’s not getting any better.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve decided. It’s Queen.

Dickyboy

Emsz

are you joking?

Nope – look at the full track listing, it is 90% pure drivel

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

These bands created the genre did they not? along with others. a lot later another band comes along and plays a the same genre. Pure co incidence?

All bands that play in an existing genre are copying the originators of that genre

I didn’t think you were old enough to have been going to see these bands in the 70s

They play the same style of music. They didn’t copy them. There is a huge difference. It s like saying Rene Magritte copied Salvador Dali because they are both surrealist painters.

I went to my first gig in 1981, aged 14.

failedengineer

Cream, awful? Eh? 3 of the best rock musicians ever (leaving aside Clapton’s dodgy views). Jack Bruce was phenominal, surely?

For me Oasis and U2 are vastly overrated. Closely followed by Coldsore and Snow Patrol etc. Then the new generation of karaoke singers from the TV talent shows. Who was that lass who murdered Leonard Cohen’s masterpiece, Hallelujah? Did she listen to the lyrics?

mossimus
    Free Member

Another vote for Nirvana. Remember seeing them at reading in 91? They were near the bottom of the bill and deservedly so, on that day Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Silverfish, Babes in Toyland and whoever else played were far superior. Then they came back as headline the next year, again they were crap.

Has anyone mentioned Joy division?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes I was talking ’bout (love) hahaha Jake E Lee, he did indeed replace RR, and created a more coherant OO for future years, OO followed the format JEL created to huge sucess. I suspect RR would have ended up going all introverted and coming up with odd phrasing and chord structures. SOme of RR’s work is gobbledegook at best, with random phrasing. His only saving grace was his tone and Flying V.

Another great guitarist..

George Lynch (he of Dokken fame)

brassneck

Nobody played like EVH before, but millions have since. He is one of the most influential guitarists of all time.

Very true.

TJ – get Van Halen 1 (with Eruption on it). Look at the date of release (1977).

Find me one example of that combination of whammy bay dives, pick harmonics, two hand tapping, Variac’d Marshall for even more distortion etc. before that album.

He changed guitar playing, for better or worse I dunno, but he is up there with Hendrix et al.

You’ll be saying Bert Jansch didn’t change owt next 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Stone Roses – everyone on Facebook is **** on about them ad infinitum.

Find me one example of that combination of whammy bay dives, pick harmonics, two hand tapping,

Great, all the worst, most-over-used cliches in rock guitar! What a legacy. Up there with Hendrix, pfffftttt.

Not a band, but Prince has to be one of the most over-rated artists around IMO. Bob Dylan too, great songwriter but awful performer.

nickf
    Free Member

Abba = music for women, and women buy some amount of crap music.

Hugely underrated, ABBA. Complex song structures, fantastic production techniques (for the mid-70s), bleak tyrics. And I’m a bloke, so ner to your girly comment.

“These walls have witnessed all the anguish of humiliation
    And seen the hope of freedom glow in shining faces
    And now they’ve come to take me
    Come to break me
    And yet it isn’t unexpected
    I have been waiting for these visitors
    Help me “

Written in their second language. Not exactly Agadoo, is it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And TJ

If Van Halen copied Black Sabbath, why didn’t Eddie hack a finger off and replace it with a stump made of roughly-made metal and tape it into place so he could get the same sound as Tony Iiomi?

bikebouy
    Free Member

That Toni Iommi bloke has a book out at the mo’

mikey74
    Free Member
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That Toni Iommi bloke has a book out at the mo’

He does. And he is suggesting Sabbath may write an album and tour with Ozzy. I will be first in the queue for that 😈

brassneck

Great, all the worst, most-over-used cliches in rock guitar! What a legacy. Up there with Hendrix, pfffftttt.

It isn’t a cliche if you are more or less the inventor. Imagine what it would have been like hearing that for the first time (I’m assuming you play here…) – if you don’t think that would have been mind blowing I can’t help you 🙂

The only other guy I’ve heard since then that had that effect on me was Tom Morello. Matt Bellamy has a shout from innovative use of things like MIDI controllers too I suppose.

Much as I love Jimi it’s safe to say there were plenty of technically better guitarists around at the time, but most of them were playing jazz. I just like the sound Jimi made better 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

bumps fists with nickf

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Oasis (although I’m sure it’s been said already). Also the Stone Roses as above, although I suppose you might argue in their defence that they were establishing a new-ish genre, even if they weren’t very good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I’ll have a little listen to van halen again then – everyday is a school day ( maybe) :-).

So most overrated band? You know what – I never really thought that much of Led Zeppelin 🙂
    *runs away*

BoardinBob

Hugely underrated, ABBA. Complex song structures, fantastic production techniques (for the mid-70s), bleak tyrics. And I’m a bloke, so ner to your girly comment.

“These walls have witnessed all the anguish of humiliation
    And seen the hope of freedom glow in shining faces
    And now they’ve come to take me
    Come to break me
    And yet it isn’t unexpected
    I have been waiting for these visitors
    Help me “

Written in their second language. Not exactly Agadoo, is it?

Nick is a strange name for a girl…

Junkyard
    Free Member

TJ thems fighting words

zippykona

I’ve lived through 3 Abba revivals and have no wish to do another.
    My wife did walk up the aisle to Arrival so bit of a soft spot for that one.( the song not the album,by the way!)

grum
    Free Member

It isn’t a cliche if you are more or less the inventor. Imagine what it would have been like hearing that for the first time (I’m assuming you play here…) – if you don’t think that would have been mind blowing I can’t help you

Hmmm…. mind-blowing in a way I guess, technically impressive certainly, but it just has no soul and therefore does nothing for me. It’s just empty showmanship IMHO.

And TJ, Led Zeppelin? Come on……

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am with TJ there – never been keen on Zep even when all my mates were wandering around school with copies of Physical Graffiti under their arms.

Kashmir is a wonder sound though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Tom Morello does some get pretty wierd sounds out of his axe.

Im loving the Elf and TJ failing to understand this is all subjective, yet TJ spouts as carved in stone fact.

How long before the Edinburgh defence is called into play? Shortly after he listens to VH again?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘Most Over Rated Band In History.’ is closed to new replies.