Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • mosquitos – maleria/HIV transmission
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

me and my friends are wondering why mosquitos are carriers of maleria, but not HIV?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Because malaria is caused by a parasite adapted to live in mosquito salivary glands, human liver & red blood cells whereas HIV infects only human CD4 T cells, it wouldn’t survive in a mosquito sufficient to be an infection source…..

therealhoops
    Free Member

HIV doesn’t like a mozzers digestive system. If it could I doubt it would last long in it’s mouth (where it would need to be in order for transmission to occur).

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks!

jackthedog
    Free Member

This seems to suggest that the worry about catching yourself on a used needle is a bit overblown?

If the virus doesn’t survive on an insect’s chops, how does it survive on the tip of a metal needle?

coffeeking
    Free Member

This seems to suggest that the worry about catching yourself on a used needle is a bit overblown?

If the virus doesn’t survive on an insect’s chops, how does it survive on the tip of a metal needle?
    Inside a living organisms chemical structure is somewhat more unpleasant than sat on the end of a chemically inert support structure? And the likelyhood of infecting from a needle prick is apparently really quite small anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘mosquitos – maleria/HIV transmission’ is closed to new replies.