Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Morzine…. Any good for a stag?
  • cleanfreak
    Free Member

Some wise words from the STW collective needed please!

A group of us are planning a week's riding this summer in Morzine, but to kill two birds, I'm considering tagging my stag party onto the end. The plan is, a load more (non-bikers) will join us for a few days/nights.

It's my first (summer) visit to Morzine, so, what are your thoughts on the place for a stag destination… there seem to be plenty of options for other daytime activities, but is there enough of a nightlife for a group of 15-20??

I appreciate what constitutes a good stag party is pretty subjective, but any general thoughts will be much appreciated, cheers! : )

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do it proper and enjoy your mtb holiday.

Then get your best man to organise a separate stag weekend somewhere else.

tracknicko
    Free Member

NO. hate to be all NIMBY, but the last thing the sausage fest that is morzine night clubs needs its 20 more pished up men in fancy dress fighting over the one dog ugly girl.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cleanfreak
    Free Member

I hear ya, but I'm 31, and I'd like to think a little more discerning than the whole fancy dress/typical stag thing. Not my bag at all. Same applies to the guys coming along too really (although I appreciate there's 'always one').

I know what you're saying though.

Bit more info…The main benefit is financially being able to afford an MTB holiday AND stag in one summer. Otherwise the MTB trip may have to go!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There are plenty of late bars and they are used to same sex groups of bikers/skiers/boarders all year round in Morzine so I don't see why not.

tracknicko
    Free Member

'same sex group of bikers'

despite your advanced years that sounds sounds like a fairly weak stag do!

just my 2p

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Could work out very expensive. I imagine its more now, but last time i was there it was 5 euro's for a pint.

beanum

If you do go, you have to do the Fantasticable over in Chatel. Whether you do it clothed or not will be up to the rest of your stag party…
    Fantasticable

cleanfreak
    Free Member

Yeah, was thinking about the cost side of things, but last year on a stag in Barcelona each flat Fosters cost us €9 in a crappy Irish bar! Can't be any worse than that!

Tracknicko – any bright ideas for a cheap stag weekend that means I get to do the MTB trip too? The whole Prague, Latvia thing I've done… I want a good laugh, but that's not my thing! every stag I go on I seem to shell out a small fortune… hence tying the two together in Morzine…

cleanfreak
    Free Member

beanum – definitely! I clocked that already… looks quality!

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm depends what you want – for day activities it would be fantastic but the times I've been (only the last 2 years in July) the night life has been pretty flat, most bars empty and virtually no women other than a couple of barmaids. Being old we didn't stay out much past midnight so maybe it gets lively after that!?

chakaping
    Free Member

Got to agree with the other naysayers.

If you've been there in the winter you might have experienced a much more lively nightlife than I did last year.

Lots of nice blokes to talk about MTBing with, while drinking very expensive booze in mostly-empty nightclubs.

I'd have been disappointed with that as a stag trip, tbh.

tracknicko
    Free Member

canary islands.

25 degree weather. clubs that dont OPEN till 4. 1 euro beer.

PROPER hills.

and (drumroll) GIRLS!

cleanfreak
    Free Member

Thanks all, sounds like it'll be a nay to Morzine (for the stag at least). Bit of a quandary as I don't want to miss out on the biking trip so I need to think alternative plans to allow both to happen….. (and no, the missus won't postpone the wedding : ))

Bit of an oxymoron, but has anyone been on a 'reasonably' priced stag that was a good alternative to the boring, overpriced Eastern European crud?

cleanfreak
    Free Member

Tracknicko – Ears prick up, girls you say…

chakaping
    Free Member

Could you consider moving the bike trip somewhere with a better nightlife?

Andorra's resorts are close to Barcelona I think.

tracknicko
    Free Member

mate it gets better. in january… flights are 15 quid or less. accomodation is about 5 quid a night.

there are NO english people (we saw 4 of them in 7 days)

and at the weekend every spanish girl on the island descends from the big cities to the clubs on the southerly resorts.

oh and the weather peaked at 28 and never went below 22 during the day…

you can keep morzine!

DT78
    Free Member

Does it have to be abroad?

I'm thinking about a mountain mayhem (forest of dean) weekend. With biking on the Friday for those who want to come (I reckon only 5 or 6 will) for my stag

hora
    Free Member

Do it proper and enjoy your mtb holiday.

Then get your best man to organise a separate stag weekend somewhere else.

+1

Err. If I wasnt a mountain biker I'd be 'err right. What the **** are we supposed to do during the day here'?

Imagine someone had you tag along on a horse riding holiday.

Seperate.

cleanfreak
    Free Member

Can't argue with any of the points made. Although I reckon there'd be enough in the daytime for the non-MTB'ers, but the nights could be pretty flat I guess. Thought it might be a cunning plan… but now not so sure!

It'll need to be sprint/summer time hence the clash with the biking trip (which can't really be changed) but doesn't have to be abroad.

Main consideration is cost (so that I can still do Morzine) – how about Dublin? Not at all cheap there I appreciate with the €, but surely it'd be cheaper overall than a summer trip to the Canaries, Spain, Eastern Europe etc….

chakaping
    Free Member

Friend of mine had his stag in Edinburgh, we had a day at GT on Friday for the MTBers and others joined us in the city that eve.

Great nightlife there, ditto Glasgow.

tracknicko
    Free Member

you show me the sums where flying to dublin is cheaper than staying in the canaries on a 15 quid flight with 5 quid per night accomodation.

plus i bet it rains there.

cleanfreak
    Free Member

tracknicko – You still talking the same flight & accommodation prices in July/August?

I'll definitely get best man on the case. Is that flying into Tenerife South? Ands which resorts for accommodation?

Cheers!

Lucas
    Free Member

Tracknicko where are you getting these £15 flights from? We go to Gran Canaria at least twice a year (wife is from there so we visit the in laws) and the cheapest I have had a flight is about £80 one way (from the Midlands inc tax)

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Bit of a quandary as I don't want to miss out on the biking trip so I need to think alternative plans to allow both to happen

Have a look at http://www.sierracycling.com.
    Based on the coast in Southern Spain.
    Great singletrack rides during the day & lively night life, good enough for stag parties on the coast at night.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Morzine…. Any good for a stag?’ is closed to new replies.