Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Morzine – AM Bike
  • ant0463
    Free Member

Okay, think the fork upgrade to 160mm is going to be a given. Sensing that alone is probably not enough but it’s been something I’ve been considering for while now, regardless of this trip.

Following that, once I’m out there I’m going to have to consider the scenario that I’m potentially not enjoying myself or remotely keeping up on the routes my mates are riding.

Your going to get pummelled to sh*t,

In which case I’ll have a couple of options: –

– Renting a DH Bike for a couple of days of the trip
    – Looking at some alternative routes more suited to my bike, of which there sounds like there are plenty.

Could be a combination of both of these actually so I get the best of both (DH and XC). Some really good feedback on here though, thanks. 🙂

ddmonkey

Take your bike, fit some new 160mm travel RS Pikes which will make you never want to put the Fox rubbish back on ever again, and then hire a DH bike for a day to blast DH trails with your mates before going off exploring and having a much nicer time… 🙂

ant0463
    Free Member

Take your bike, fit some new 160mm travel RS Pikes which will make you never want to put the Fox rubbish back on ever again, and then hire a DH bike for a day to blast DH trails with your mates before going off exploring and having a much nicer time…

Starting to become my thoughts exactly. 😀

Confirming dates this week, looks set to be first week in August. Cannot wait – going to make the most of it no matter what!

dan45a
    Free Member

OP – if you are thinking about changing you forks on your zesty anyway that should do the trick (id go pike). Last time I was in morzine one of the mbuk long term zestys was there at the chalet, they had fitted the new (then fox 34) and offset bushes which had transformed the bike in its ability out there. The guy riding it was well happy and rding everything.

Also on my first time in morzine I used a fox 32 forked hire bike on day 1, the arm pump and lack of stiffness forced me to take the bike back and upgraded to a spicy with fox 36’s and didn’t look back for the rest of the trip.

So get rid of of fox 32 its fine in the uk for trail centres but out of its depth in the alps on the more gravity type tracks. Like the guys with a remedy above, I suspect nothing wrong with the bike, its was the fork.

honourablegeorge

ant0463 – Member
    Okay, think the fork upgrade to 160mm is going to be a given. Sensing that alone is probably not enough but it’s been something I’ve been considering for while now, regardless of this trip.

Following that, once I’m out there I’m going to have to consider the scenario that I’m potentially not enjoying myself or remotely keeping up on the routes my mates are riding.

Your going to get pummelled to sh*t,
    In which case I’ll have a couple of options: –

– Renting a DH Bike for a couple of days of the trip
    – Looking at some alternative routes more suited to my bike, of which there sounds like there are plenty.

Could be a combination of both of these actually so I get the best of both (DH and XC). Some really good feedback on here though, thanks.

Get a set of Pikes. They’ll be a brilliant addition to your bike, whether at home or abroad. Take the bike with you, ride the hell out of it. You can ride pretty much everything out there with that setup – yes, you might go a bit faster or bigger with a DH bike under you, but you can have loads of fun, and do more varied riding on the Zesty with the new forks. Can always rent a DH bike for a day or two if you really want to.

daver27
    Free Member

personally i’d never go back on a pure DH bike, modern trail and AM bikes are so capable, a DH bike is just not required and you can actually access more fun riding on trail and AM bikes, rather than bashing out battered DH runs all week.
    someone mentioned it earlier, its no fun pushing a dh bike up a mountain when you miss the last lift!!

weeksy

In simple terms, IMO it’s like taking a Boardman Hybrid road racing… Yes the Zesty will be fine… yes the Zesty will cope…. but…. and it’s a big but..

It won’t give you the confidence and speed a more appropriate bike will. Instead of it being you that’s the factor holding tthings back, it will be a combination of you and the bike.

When we went i took a 170mm Bionicon, i was quickest to the bottom of all the sections going down.

My mates were on a zesty and a stumpy… they’re both superior riders to me… but the bike meant i got down quicker/better/easier.

Why go all that way and end up getting frustrated because you’re on the ragged edge all the time and your mates are strolling down ahead of you with ease.

I have no doubt Steve Peat could get to the bottom quicker on a Halfords HT than i can on the 180mm Scott i’ve hired for this year… but i’m not Steve Peat, i will be quicker, have more pleasure and feel safer on the 180mm Scott … simple as that.

andeh

Pikes and a Powerball 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The ‘bigger forks on my bike’ really is a half measure. Bottom line. It’s the Alps, Morzine, it’s amazing, get a proper DH bike one way or another. Guys slating the DH trails as ‘rutted’ or similar probably aren’t riding them properly and making the most out of them. They are superb. It sounds like a downhill holiday. Take a downhill bike.

julians
    Free Member

Never been to morzine, but we did go to les arcs and tignes last year for a week. I took my 160mm ibis mojo hd.

5 days out of the six i was on my mojo, on the sixth day we hired downhill bikes,and to be honest i reckon i wouldve been faster on the mojo on the majority of the trails than the dh bike. I guess the trails just didnt warrant a full dh bike,but everyone else was on dh bikes still.

Not sure if this is relevent and how similar tignes and les arcs are to morzine,but thought id throw my experience in.

harryjan
    Free Member

And there’s me thinking of taking my 100/120mm 29er out there 😀

oliverd1981
    Free Member

You could always buy a used 160/180mm bike with the appropriate brakes, forks chain device etc. already fitted then sell it when you get home..

Unless you think you’ll need/use the burlier equipment in the UK in the future.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Buy an old set of 36 van rc2 use em for the holiday and sell when you get home you’ll probably only lose the cost of postage…

milky1980
    Free Member

Been to Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel the last two years on a 5 with 140mm 32’s, never held me back!! See plenty of ‘XC’ bikes being sent down the DH runs so I wouldn’t worry, just know the limits of you and your bike and have fun!! One of our party had a 120mm FS Ghost and never failed to ride anything the guys on 180mm mini-DH bikes tried.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d get something like this and punt on again afterwards:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7922580/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1435493/

Bagstard
    Free Member

I would bite the bullet and get a second hand DH bike before the season starts, there are bound to be bargains around. Your mates will most likely want to ride all the flat out main lines for the majority of the trip, which will be pretty hard going on your Zesty.

If you ride a couple of days then decide to hire a bike, it will cost a packet and you will be riding an unknown quantity, probably with suspension that doesn’t match your requirements and anything you break, you pay for. Get your own bike, sort the suspension for you, then sell it when you get home and you haven’t ragged your pride and joy either.

rhid

I agree with everyone who says get a cheap DH bike. First time I went out was on my Heckler. I survived but came home thinking I would have fun on a bigger longer travel bike, 2nd time I went out was on a Santa Cruz Bullit, rode more or less the same stuff. My pal was on a 224 hand he had a great time, Isurvived but came home thinking for the DH trails out there a DH bike is what you need!

Also it would be heart breaking to spend big money making your Trail – AM bike a bit more DHy only to have it ruined int he alps. Spend the 600ish you would pay for Pikes on a decent 2nd or 3rd hand DH bike and leave your good AM bike as it is! I sold my Bullit and now have a 224 too. Its the right tool for the job!

harryjan
    Free Member

So just back from morzine riding my carbon 100/120mm Xc 29er.

Everything was totally rideable and I think I was more limited by the geometry than travel; the few blacks I tried were ‘interesting’ to say the least although rideable with my weight right off the back.

Saying that I’m currently looking at frames with slacker geometry and more travel for next year; I was looking at a couple of the smaller gap jumps and just felt under biked to attempt them (plus lacked a full face/armour).

Was really impressed with the grip of the big smorgasbord and chunky monkey tyres I bought for the trip. The smorgasbord especially provided awesome grip down steep off piste blacks.

Now back to ogling the Codine….

Rosss
    Free Member

Came back from Morzine a few weeks ago myself and found a few things out. I took my 160mm Ibis and my brother rode a Trek Slash, for the first 7 days we had non stop rain and the trains were the muddiest i’ve ever ridden. The AM bikes were good here as being a bit lighter they were easier to pick cleaner lines on and muscle around in the gloop. There wasn’t much in it when it came to jumping and because of the weather we rarely left Morzine and Lets Gets so the trails we rode didn’t involve huge drops or jumps. On the first day the trails dried out the braking bumps started to form and the bikes got a hammering. We blew a set of Pikes, 8 spokes and made 3 wheels unrideable in one day on bikes with expensive kit. The bikes rode really well but at times they felt outgunned despite over taking loads of DH bikes and I was disapointed to get home with a big bill to repair my ‘good’ bike. If I had enough money to swap the parts out to more burly stuff for out there i’d take a 160mm bike again but for next time I’ll be building a tough DH bike that stands up the the terrain more and I don’t worry about as much.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Taken the Alpine 160 out for the last 3 years and found myself having no less fun than my old DH bike. I always find it funny seeing people out there on an old DH bike they picked up cheap 2nd hand with old Geometry and suspension and when you talk to them or overhear them in the lift lines it turns out they’ve left their £7k 160 “Enduro” bike which has much better suspension and angles at home. Modern AM/Enduro bikes are so capable nowadays that unless you’re blasting out and out race runs it’s not really necessary (just ask Graves and Mullaly).

Tom kp

spicer
    Free Member

So just back from morzine riding my carbon 100/120mm Xc 29er.

Everything was totally rideable

Unless your a pro, I’m pretty sure you didn’t ride everything then! 🙂
    Some of the trails (mainly te off piste runs, which are some of the best riding I found there- and one or two of the official runs) are a struggle not to go over the bars on a downhill bike.

It’s all rideable on a enduro bike, but if you’re there for a while then a downhill bike is worth it, you’ll feel a lot less beat up after a few days and enjoy it more! Probably riding lines you wouldnt have chosen otherwise as well.

Big-M
    Free Member

Just back from a week in Chatel, we were nearly all on enduro style bikes 2 x Spesh Enduro, Commencal Meta AM, Spesh SX and one lad on a Morewood 4X bike..

Rode most of the stuff out there, it’s all rideable on these kind of bikes. We also rode up the Col De Coux and came down the ridge into Champerey, there’s no way you’d want to do that on a DH bike. As with most riding it’s a compromise, you can’t have a bike that excels at everything but the enduro type bikes come close.

interestingly the Morewood was wrecked by the end of the week… but the lad on it was probably the one going the biggest out of all of us.. including chasing locals on their DH bikes…

harryjan
    Free Member

Unless your a pro, I’m pretty sure you didn’t ride everything then!

Everything I tried then 🙂

Blues and reds for 90% of the time

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Morzine – AM Bike’ is closed to new replies.