Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Wait… The new Alpine Five is just a Five 29 with a handful of different parts?
  • Northwind

Well that’s a bit disappointing, after that crazy looking Strange…

roverpig

And no “frame only” option showing on the site yet.

I know they are going to bring out a 650B Alpine and they hinted at a “new” 29er on their facebook page. I really hope this isn’t it. A few new stickers is hardly new.

bikeneil
    Free Member

You sound surprised. I thought all Oranges we’re the same but with different parts on?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The previous production Alpine Fives have been a regular Five with 160mm forks and a double/bash setup.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have personally never seen a 29 bike in the Alps. Is this actually going to sell ?

Northwind

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

The previous production Alpine Fives have been a regular Five with 160mm forks and a double/bash setup.

Yah, but now there’s no Five 29er, there’s just 27.5 Fives and 29er Alpine Fives. Weird. Also the spec isn’t really changed in any alpiney way, you get the same skinny fragile wheels, etc.

@Jambalaya, Alex at White Room guided on one all last summer, I don’t think the wheels exploded.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

They’d sell more if they called them the Enduro Five 29.

sandwicheater

Enduro Five 29 you say, I’ll take one!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yah, but now there’s no Five 29er, there’s just 27.5 Fives and 29er Alpine Fives. Weird. Also the spec isn’t really changed in any alpiney way, you get the same skinny fragile wheels, etc.

Yeah, just been to the website and had a gander.

Can’t help thinking this is an evolution reflecting what Mr. Wade is riding at the moment. 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

How odd. Just when people seem to be getting a handle on what a 29er is good for and what a 27.5 is a compromise for good for, Orange come along and confuse matters.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Northwind, I imagine he could ride down pretty much anything on any bike. I think the rest of us would be concerned about the manoeuvrability of a 29er on tight switchbacks or the more elevated/unbalanced feeling. I’ve seen more hardtails in the Alps than 29ers.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

I think the rest of us would be concerned about the manoeuvrability of a 29er on tight switchbacks or the more elevated/unbalanced feeling

Folks who hadn’t ridden a decent one, sure. Not surprised that they’re rare in the alps but I don’t think it’s got anything to do with suitability. I’d not hesitate to take a Five 29 (or whatever it may be called) or a Remedy or similiar frinstance.

BoardinBob

Exclusive: New Products in the EWS Scotland Pits!

the Alpine 160 has also gone up a wheel size, now running 27.5 inch wheels!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What do you think the target markets are for an Alpine Five as opposed to an Alpine 160? I guess the market for 26-ophile luddites is big enough judging by STW 😆

[EDIT] just seen Bob’s post. Maybe Orange saw the error of their ways

justatheory
    Free Member

I took my 29er to the PDS. I only saw one other 29er while I was there. I found it okay but I was mainly doing XC stuff. I did get to a few switchbacks and have to walk all the way back to the beginning of the trail because it wouldn’t fit round.

ads678

Maybe it’s just a name change to remove the whole wheel size thing from the name, bit strange as they already have an Alpine in their range but both 29 and 650b are standard now so don’t need to be in a bikes name.

Just a thought…..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^not convinced

At the end of the day it’s the same bike they’ve made for years. Now it comes in 3 different wheel sizes with confusing names that give no hint as to the wheel size. Should it matter? No, but as people try and rationalise and understand what wheel size suits what type of riding, having 2 “Alpine” bikes in your range with 2 very different wheel sizes is confusing.

ads678

But they both have different amounts of travel and it tells you how much in the name.

Agree having 2 Alpines is a bit silly though, should have just stuck with 5 and 5-29 or something.

roverpig

I don’t have a problem with the name. The Five29 was always pretty close to the Alpine in terms of function. Now if you want an Orange Enduro sled you can have a 160mm 650B Alpine or a 140mm 29er Alpine.

I don’t have a problem with them making lots of different bikes with the same suspension design either. Giant do the same with Maestro, for example, which is just as established (or old hat, if you prefer) now. Getting the geometry right is more important, in my book and small tweaks can make a big difference to the feel of the bike.

But, when they hinted at a new 29er a while back I was (and still am) hoping for more than just a few new stickers on an existing frame.

NormalMan

stilltortoise – Member

as people try and rationalise and understand what wheel size suits what type of riding

I think, therein lies the problem*!

*I should add no wheel size debate intended – I like cats too much.
    Purely indicating geometry, etc should play a bigger role in the ‘what bike’ choice over wheel size.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

But they both have different amounts of travel and it tells you how much in the name.

When 29ers were being touted as the next big thing (pun intended) the idea was that you don’t need as much travel for the same style of riding.

Also, the fact the Five is named because it has 5inches of travel is something that has probably long since lost any relevance for many prospective buyers.

First World Problem 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Now if you want an Orange Enduro sled you can have a 160mm 650B Alpine or a 140mm 29er Alpine.

Not according to their website. The Alpine if 29er or 26. It’s only that article that BoardinBob put up that suggests the Alpine is also in 27.5

Like I said, confusing

roverpig

Only for a few weeks though. The 26″ Alpine 160 will be replaced by the 650B version pretty soon, I’m sure.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I spoke to a guy at Orange at a demo day at Afan a couple of weeks back and he said that the 2015 Alpine 160 will be 650b, but they will still be offering the 2014 26″ alpine frame as its still a popular frame.

Make of that what you will.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

they will still be offering the 2014 26″ alpine frame as its still a popular frame they still have loads of stock

FTFY

mildred

Also, the fact the Five is named because it has 5inches of travel is something that has probably long since lost any relevance for many prospective buyers.

Eh? The name 5 has nothing to do with the travel, it was because of the frame weight.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^really? I’m no expert and will happily be shot down in flames by those in the know, but are you 100% sure?

kendo954
    Free Member

650b alpine – yes please, as long as they do a 20″ and not just the 19″ they have at the minute

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which fact? 140mm = 5.5″
    or that salesman said something and that should be believed?

roverpig

650b alpine – yes please, as long as they do a 20″ and not just the 19″ they have at the minute

I thought the 19″ had the same ETT as the old 20″, just a bit more standover height.

Anyway, why would you want a 650B Alpine? This is something I just can’t get my head around. Fair enough, if they make a version of the Alpine with a bigger wheel and you prefer it then I can see why you’d want one, but this blind faith that a bike with a 1″ bigger wheel must automatically be better just doesn’t make sense to me. You’re not alone though. The Orange Facebook page is full of folk claiming that they’d buy a 650B version of the Alpine (without any discussion of why it would be better).

philwarren11
    Free Member

All im hoping for is a sale come october on a large 2014 alpine frame then i can swap my bits over from my current bike. 🙂

I’m sure it wont be long before they announce the full 2015 lineup.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Orange Facebook page is full of folk claiming that they’d buy a 650B version of the Alpine (without any discussion of why it would be better).

Northwind

Same story as Santa Cruz, that- they decided to get into 650b mostly because of fan demand but from people who’d never ridden a 650b bike. Yay bike buyers 🙂

mildred

^really? I’m no expert and will happily be shot down in flames by those in the know, but are you 100% sure?

Yes – the 1st version was called the sub 5 due to it weighing less than 5lbs without shock.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

At the end of the day it’s the same bike they’ve made for years.

😆

You’re one of those evolution doubters aren’t you?

Hate to tell you this, but unless you worship Steve Wade, God didn’t make the Orange Five. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yes – the 1st version was called the sub 5 due to it weighing less than 5lbs without shock.

My understanding too.

ads678

I thought the sub five also had less travel, although the name was originally to do with intended weight? Then when the geometry changed including more travel the name changed to reflect this??

jambalaya
    Free Member

God didn’t make the Orange Five

@Pip
    , but does he ride one ?

chestrockwell

What about the Sub 3 that was out at the same time then?

chestrockwell

I could be wrong but I don’t think there ever has been a production Alpine 5 in the past. I seem to remember the Alpine 5 was the test bed for what became the Alpine 160. The bike mentioned above sounds like the 5 AM.

Does seem strange that they have simply changed the name of the 5 29 but there you go. Wouldn’t be suprised to see some real changes to the Gyro as that’s been around unchanged for a few years now.

It’s no suprise to see the Alpine 5 turn up without all the options yet and before they update the rest of the range. Orange have previous and tend to put bikes on the website when ever they’re ready rather then wait for the traditional model year change over.

Can’t imagine the comment earlier about having a load of unsold stock is correct as Orange seem to keep tight control of supply. You don’t tend to see too many in the end of year sales.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Wait… The new Alpine Five is just a Five 29 with a handful of different parts?’ is closed to new replies.