• This topic has 65 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • More driving idiocy
  • johndoh
    Free Member

On my way to work this morning and I was halfway down a narrow stretch of road that only had enough space for one car as there were cars parked on the other side. So a stupid driver just tried to sail up and push past me. I pulled over as far as I could to the left without mounting the (high) kerb but she couldn’t get past.

Cue a 5 minute stand-off where she wouldn’t reverse back to where she came from, instead expecting me to mount the kerb (I wasn’t doing that thank you).

So I just got out of the car and sat on the side of the road and waited until she gave up and reversed back.

What a fun start to the day 8)

andytherocketeer

sounds like my street.
    except it’s a one way street with cars parked both sides. but it’s OK to “just quickly nip down the wrong way to save driving round 3.5 sides of the block” 🙄
    of course, I’m blocking them, and I only have to reverse 2 car lengths to give them access to the driveway entrance, and I must be in the wrong for not letting them correct their driving error. sod that.
    🙄 👿
    I wait until there are cars behind me. And then I wait until they all start hooting horns.

mark90
    Free Member

I had a similar stand off with a guy in a white Audi (may not be a totally relevant detail) a while back. I was 90% though the restriction when he raced towards me head on and stopped me exiting the narrow section. Obviously trying to make a point as they had priority on the signs. He wasn’t even visiable to me when I entered the narrow section and if he hadn’t sped towards me to make a point I’d have cleared it anyway. As I was in the camper van I popped in the back and got the kettle out and asked he he wanted a cup of tea while he was waiting 🙂

Northwind

Today, driving into work… There’s a road that used to be 2-way but is now one-way with a barrier. Sitting on the other side of the barrier, facing the wrong way, is a car. I drive in, up to the barrier, it opens, they instantly start trying to squeeze through so they can drive the wrong way up a one way road, which only goes one place- a really iffy blind t-junction onto an NSL road, which nobody will expect anyone to be exiting from because it’s bloomin one way. And no possibility they didn’t know all this.

Cougar

asked he he wanted a cup of tea while he was waiting

😆 good work.

hora
    Free Member

Yesterday on the road of my sons school with cars parked on both sides a car came hammering towards me leaping over the speed bumps. At lower speeds I’d have tutted but as he got alongside I beeped, he slammed on and threw his door open and said WHAT. So I leaned out of the car and asked him why he felt the need to speed on a road with two schools inbetween double-parked cars etc etc. His reply ‘stop crying’.

My reply ‘go now’. No swearing.

I was livid. I told mrshora and expected the ‘one day you’ll get shot or stabbed’ (that she normally says) but this time she said GOOD, I’m glad you did that. That road is known for idiots and our local council has just sacked all the lollipop ladies.

If we meet again I hope hes driving slow because I wont put up with that. My other main fear is my cars distinctive and if I park it there again he’ll probably damage it.

brooess
    Free Member

OP did you go and have a chat with her? It may have broken the ice? I suspect some of this bad driving is from people who really have no idea what they’re doing and are in some kind of panic… and may benefit from a bit of face to face conversation…

I had an interesting guy try to drive into the side of me pushing himself onto the main road. He then tailgated me through a 20mph limit, overtook at speed, jammed his brakes on as he spotted the speed camera and then tailgated the next car ahead. 5 mins later after trundling along at 20mph I rolled up behind him in the queue of traffic I knew would be round the next corner – there always is a queue there at rush hour. The whole style of his driving was totally irrational/emotional…

The only outcome of all of this is that he’s now a few days closer to his inevitable heart attack before he’s 50…

johndoh
    Free Member

OP did you go and have a chat with her?

I walked towards her car but she sat there clearly not wanting to open the window so I decided against looking like I was being confrontational or trying to intimidate her so sat at the other side by my car.

jam-bo

I had a lovely calm drive to work this morning. Nice views over the moors, not too much traffic.

brooess
    Free Member

I walked towards her car but she sat there clearly not wanting to open the window so I decided against looking like I was being confrontational or trying to intimidate her so sat at the other side by my car.

Kind of feel sorry for people like that… not able to say ‘sorry, I’m being an idiot’.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I recall being stuck at a roundabout with traffic light on them. Theres a yellow box as well and Im at the front of the queue with traffic across the yellow box.
    So the lights change to green I wait where I am as I cant get through the yellow box and then the lights change to red again. Guy behind me roars up the inside lane and start hollering at me as to why I didnt move when the lights changed. Explain to him you dont enter the yellow box unless your exit is clear. “But Im late for my ferry”. Sorry but you should have left earlier then you wouldn’t have to drive like a ****.

bigyinn
    Free Member

brooess – Member

Kind of feel sorry for people like that… not able to say ‘sorry, I’m being an idiot’.
    ‘Tis the modern way, never admit you’re wrong (its a weakness) and go on the attack.

johndoh
    Free Member

She got her own back on me though – when she had moved and I got back into car and drove through (waving a cheery thank you) she flicked two fingers at me 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sadly not an uncommon experience, had a typical one recently where someone coming the other way moves more towards my side of the narrow road and visibly accelerates (“sending a message”) trying to get past the obvious place on their side of the street to pull in.

mrchrispy

I’ve trained my kids to point and pull sad faces at drivers that are ragging it down side streets. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

End of my road I have a give way sign [ at a crossroads] driver coming from a side street has a STOP sign as a house block view. Arrive same time and i go and so does he. I slam on he gets outs and screams its a **** give way sign stupid
    I point out that his is a STOP sign and asked him if he stopped

Brief pause screaming even louder – its a **** give way sign stupid. i just laughed at him and he got quite irrate.

I never understand the dive into a gap thing tbh.
    i once had one like the OP on a single lane where someone in a 4×4 refused to go on the grass verge as it was “slippy” and advised me to take my Mini metro on to the verge.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve trained my kids to point and pull sad faces at drivers that are ragging it down side streets

THATS why I keep seeing sad faces near Longford Park. I did wonder….

😉

Talking of which- that road parallel to yours- its ripe for some idiotic driving but no one seems to speed or ‘race to beat’ me on it- past the school and park entrance. If you know which one I mean.

Northwind

Junkyard – lazarus

i once had one like the OP on a single lane where someone in a 4×4 refused to go on the grass verge as it was “slippy” and advised me to take my Mini metro on to the verge.

I’ve got pics somewhere where I drove my uber-offroad mondeo through a snow-filled ditch, in order to get round a mitsubishi L200 which wasn’t just refusing to go on the verge- she was sat right on the centre crown, refusing to go near the edge of the tarmac because there was too much snow on it. (it’s not quite a 2-lane road, we’d probably both have had a wheel on the grass to pass if she’d moved over)

But that was one of those situations where the other person’s having such a meltdown, you really want to just get them off the road and somewhere safe, more than feeling pissed off about it.

br
    Free Member

So I just got out of the car and sat on the side of the road and waited until she gave up and reversed back.

Ok, but how come you had right of way, and not her?

nickewen
    Free Member

The 4X4 thing and them not wanting to go on the grass verge is funny. Happened to me at the weekend driving up the singletrack road to Thrunton Woods – bloke in a lovely new X5 seemed to think my saloon was better equipped for off-roading.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I’m guessing if the kerb was on his side of the road then the car/obstruction was on hers. Therefor he has right of way

MrNice
    Free Member

but I guess he could have decided to reverse himself even though he had the ROW? or is there some missing information about him driving a road train with 3 trailers on the back?

I remember my grandmother being in a similar stand-off. She told the other driver (in sweet little old lady voice) “I’m retired, I can wait here all day” and he decided to back down.

irc

If there is a line of parked cars and one driver is halfway along them before the other driver starts to pass them then I’d agree the OP has ROW. All the other driver has to do is stop briefly. Instead her actions mean one of them has to reverse.

jam-bo

or is there some missing information about him driving a road train with 3 trailers on the back?

I once offered the keys of the LWB transit with a 15ft trailer on the back to the person who as refusing to back up.

bigyinn
    Free Member

b r – Member

For the sake of pedantry its actually “priority” not “right of way”. But basically you cant start your manoeuvre (SP?) if someone else is part way through theirs, and there will be conflict, otherwise you have the stand off in the OP.

tthew

bloke in a lovely new X5 seemed to think my saloon was better equipped for off-roading.

to be fair, he was probably right.

wrecker
    Free Member

I once offered the keys of the LWB transit with a 15ft trailer on the back to the person who as refusing to back up.

Like it!

hora
    Free Member

bloke in a lovely new X5 seemed to think my saloon was better equipped for off-roading.

After witnessing an almost new X5 trying to get up the ice cream run at Rivington I think I’d agree. I’d have laughed but I was wincing/cringing and hating the thought of the damage to his car 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not as bad as the car I saw that tried to go down the ICR

You do need a proper proper 4×4 to get up
    Done it once up and down in a mates…very very bumpy

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m guessing if the kerb was on his side of the road then the car/obstruction was on hers. Therefor he has right of way

Basically ^

johndoh
    Free Member

All the other driver has to do is stop briefly. Instead her actions mean one of them has to reverse.

And this – I had already stopped to allow three cars to come through (as they had already started their manoeuvres) and she was some way behind them (and hadn’t reached the line of parked cars). So instead of her letting me go, she decided it was only fair that I waited even longer for her to firstly reach the obstruction and then pass it.

In fact, she wouldn’t have even had to stop, just slow a bit to let me past, but she decided to accelerate into the gap that wasn’t there.

brooess
    Free Member

In fact, she wouldn’t have even had to stop, just slow a bit to let me past, but she decided to accelerate into the gap that wasn’t there.

This is where a basic ability to assess risk, anticipate eventualities and an ability to do more than react to base emotions needs to be tested for in the driving test (and failed if not a high enough standard). It’s more than manners or intelligence, it’s more about ability to understand the bigger picture – some people simply lack it.

People make basic assessment errors all the time in life but the consequences of these errors when driving are that much bigger…

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah you are probably correct – she’ll have seen the other drivers go through and just decided to follow.

Like the person that did something similar to me yesterday – overtook a bike on another narrow road (again following others that had already done so) and caused me to emergency stop. Fortunately I had already started to slow in anticipation of what the drivers were doing on my side of the road (my view was partially obscured by roadside hedgerows).

I guess it must be my huge estate car that is so difficult to spot .

globalti
    Free Member

I think if the public knew just how incompetent, how blind, how ill-informed and how ill-prepared most drivers were, there would be a national outcry. Many people are only just holding their lives together and their incompetence extends into their driving. Right now I’m struggling to think of anybody I know who I consider a really fully competent driver.

brooess
    Free Member

I think if the public knew just how incompetent, how blind, how ill-informed and how ill-prepared most drivers were, there would be a national outcry.

It’s been known ever since cars were invented…

Best advice I was given about driving in public was to assume everyone else on the road is an idiot. Except that advice wasn’t given to me, it was given to my Mum by her Dad – in the 1950s…

Wind in the Willows – Toad of Toad Hall and all his manic driving – was first published in 1908.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

One day I was in my bottom of the range Ford Focus doing 20mph in a 50 limit and someone in a white Audi A6 (SE spec with Lex Leasing plates) tried to overtake me. I ‘waved’ at them as they went past and they took exception and slammed all on and jumped out. I wound my window down (fitness windows), popped a cap in his mid-management ass, threw him in my boot and buried his body under my patio.

bails

I think if the public knew just how incompetent, how blind, how ill-informed and how ill-prepared most drivers were, there would be a national outcry

But ‘the public’ and ‘drivers’ are pretty much one and the same. Anything that deals with the bad drivers deals with a big chunk of ‘the public’ and so ‘the public’ will never want bad driving to be properly dealt with.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve got out and offered to reverse the car for the other driver in a similar situation, because I assumed they had a problem with that.

I guess that wasn’t exactly defusing the situation 😈

The last time I had this, I think the other driver would have liked to wind the windows up and ignore me when I got out of my car to have a friendly chat, but they were in a convertible with the top down 😆

mrchrispy

Hora – that road next to mine is quite the rat run but people tend to show some sense near the school. The only bellends that fly down my road live at the bottom of the road (what ever happened to dont shit where you live eh?)

mrchrispy

I love it* when drivers try and force you over/to stop when you’re on a bike and have right of way. they wouldnt do it to a car so why to a bike. I’ve sat wheel to bumper until they backup more that once.

*by love I mean boils my pish

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘More driving idiocy’ is closed to new replies.