Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • More Double Bash Advice please.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Going to get rid of my 22-32-44 triple and go for a 22-36 bash combo . Ive fot truvativ rings just now and XT cranks. Would I be right in going for either Deore or XT ones from Rose bikes ?. Also I take It the 22t chainring is 104 and the distance from the centres 44mm. Also the 36t is 104 and distance from centre is 75mm as I dont want to order the wrong thing. Also Is it a case of just adjusting the limit screw so the chain dosent jump over the big ring.

Thanks for any help .

perthmtb
    Free Member

I strongly suggest getting the SLX M665 36T chainring. 22 to 36 is a big gap for the chain to jump, and the M665 chainring is the only one I’ve found specifically designed to do this – it has modified ramps and tooth offset to make shifting up smooth and avoid chain drop on the way back down.

Any 22T ring will do, as that’s nothing special.

Note: by the time you’ve bought two new rings, a bash, and longer chainring bolts, you might as well just buy the whole SLX M665 double crankset, which has everything you need, and you get the bonus of a new BB thrown in!

Also take a few links out of your chain – follow the big/big +2 rule, with the 36T now being your ‘big’.

You can just dial in the high limit screw on your existing FD, and this will work OK, but with the 36T chainring making the chain ride higher in the FD cage where its narrower, you may get chain rub issues at either end of the cassette. So if you want the best out of your new 22/36 setup, get an FD specifically designed for that combination, like the SLX M665.

Dickyboy

Why not try just 22/32 with your existing set up & see how you get on first – I went from triple to 22/36 & found the step in gearing from 22 to 36 too big & ended up faffing with front & rear mechs changing at the same time too often, now on 22/32 & happy as larry. For my next 2 x 9 I have a 26/36 set up planned as it’s on a lighter faster bike to help cure my granny gear addiction 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

perthmtb – Member

I strongly suggest getting the SLX M665 36T chainring. 22 to 36 is a big gap for the chain to jump,

have 2 bikes that run 22 / 36 and know of several others – it works fine with ordinary rings

the way to deal with the shifting issue is to use it as a high and low ratio – mine is set up so I can use the whole cassette in the 36 and the bottom 7 in the granny – so I change down to granny once at the bottom of a climb and enjoy having a load of closely spaced low gears

perthmtb
    Free Member

have 2 bikes that run 22 / 36 and know of several others – it works fine with ordinary rings

And I and several others I know had problems using ‘normal’ rings, which were solved by using the M665.

So there you go, I guess that’s both the beauty and frustration of an internet forum – you get conflicting advice. Best to suck it and see and make your own mind up, I guess 🙂

Simon

I had 22/36 for a while and the chain came off a fair bit when changing down. Also for me the jump in gears from 22 to 36 was too much so I now use 24/36.

As for mechs, one bike has a triple FD and the other a double FD, both work fine.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I had 22/36 for a while and the chain came off a fair bit when changing down

Yup, that’s one of the problems from using a ‘normal’ 36T chainring with a 22 granny. Shimano’s 36T chainrings are designed to work in combination with a 26T granny, so when changing down, the ramps send the chain off in a trajectory where it expects to find a 26. The 22T is lower down, so the chain overshoots and ends up on the BB shell. The M665 36T chainring has much shallower ramps, so that the chain drops down at a steeper angle where the 22 granny is. The shallower ramps also make changing up much smoother.

I’m not saying a ‘normal’ chainring wont work, just that the M665 one works better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘More Double Bash Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.