Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • No helmet?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

You really are not trying hard enough …I am disappointed

honourablegeorge

iain1775 – Member
    That baggy Lycra is the funniest thing I’ve seen today at least since the nigella video

What Nigella video>?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You know, the more people come on here complaining others aren’t wearing helmets and calling them dumb/stupid etc, the more I side with TJ, and the less I wear mine.

AndyRT
    Free Member

sorry to offend

v8ninety

Oh for goodness sake, can’t believe this has come up again already. Wear one, don’t wear one. No one should care except the individual and those that care about him/her. Make your own decision, based on evidence, personal dynamic risk assessment or just what looks cool, and stop trying to make other people’s decisions either way. By all means share why you make your decision, but don’t be surprised that others think different.

AndyRT
    Free Member

agreed, hence apology

GW
    Free Member

You know, the more people come on here complaining others aren’t wearing helmets and calling them dumb/stupid etc, the more I side with TJ, and the less I wear mine.

I find not thinking for yourself and making your own choice just as dumb/stupid.
    TJs riding is 99% irrelevant to mine (and I know him) do you?

ChrisHeath

In 20 years of MTBing, I’ve not once damaged my head or my helmet.

Uh-oh, you’ve done it now…

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I find not thinking for yourself and making your own choice just as dumb/stupid.

I am thinking for myself. I’m thinking some halfwit who has a blinkered viewpoint is blathering on and on and on and he has no idea at all. If I don’t want to wear a lid, I won’t. And it’s not anybody else’s flipping business!

AndyRT
    Free Member

I’m not going to reply, Oh! I just did Damn! Who am I talking to? OOOooooh, that’s an interesting question…now where is the off switch [ ]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I get sick and tired of the same old “you must wear a helmet” bullshit.

What about gloves? Why does nobody mention GLOVES?
    Why?
    Well, becasue what’s the first thing you do when you crash?
    You put your bloody hand out!

And what about eye protection? Why does nobody go on about GLASSES?
    Why?
    Because if something gets in your eye and you’re blinking trying to get rid of it or you can’t see where you’re going, you’re more likely to crash in the first place!

But nobody EVER complains about that do they? No. It’s HELMET drone HELMET jabber HELMET waffle HELMET preach HELMET bullshit HELMET I’m better than you HELMETHELMETHELMETHELMETHELMET and it’s old and, binkered, and uninformed and boring.

GW
    Free Member

What about gloves? Why does nobody mention GLOVES?
    Why?
    Well, becasue what’s the first thing you do when you crash?
    You put your bloody hand out!

No it isn’t.
    I don’t wear gloves and crash way more than most.
    I was forced to waer gloves at the weekend (DH race rules) and ripped the finger clean off my glove in a silly crash, if I hadn’t have been wearing them the crash wouldn’t have happened and they didn’t protect my hands in the slightest either.

And what about eye protection? Why does nobody go on about GLASSES?
    Why?
    Because if something gets in your eye and you’re blinking trying to get rid of it or you can’t see where you’re going, you’re more likely to crash in the first place!

most people have 2 eyes, blinking allows you to see just fine with the other. 🙄

not doing too well at the “thinking for yourself” are you?

AndyRT
    Free Member

does that feel better?

If it matters, which it doesn’t, maybe this lengthy debate is all because we care?

Surely this is a simple outlet for the general consensus of opinion, and the natural instinct to preserve some sense of protection from the unforeseen imbalance or momentary misjudgment.

Its the same on a motorbike, surely. I always become concerned and annoyed when I see someone riding a 1000cc sports bike in flipflops!

I know they have the right to make that choice, and they may never fall off, and I hope they don’t. But the more that do, will eventually have a cumulative effect upon the rest of us.

It’s already happening. How many new trail sites are disappearing due to liabilities becoming prime cause to refuse entry to private land. With the potential for vast areas of forests becoming privately owned, this should occupy our thoughts more often. When has a single action not been a trigger for a further event? Everything is interconnected.

If you ride in protective clothing in the inherently random environment we all seemingly enjoy, sending out (apparently unsubstantiated) safety concious visual messages tells all the other users of the land that you take your own, and potentially their safety seriously.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

joao3v16
    Free Member

What?

Is it time to act out the ‘to helmet or not to helmet’ fight yet again already?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

not doing too well at the “thinking for yourself” are you

A lot better than you are, sunshine. It’s called a different point of view, and it’s obvioulsy working because you disagree with it. NOT thinking for myself would be agreeing with your incorrect viewpoint..!
    Eh?

No it isn’t.
    I don’t wear gloves and crash way more than most.

Maybe you should start, becasue soon you’re gonna hurt those hands you know! And yes, I’ve seen it done. (On a motorbike, but it’s the same principal, it was a slow crash) You wanna see the mess a metal watch strap makes when it’s pushed up your arm becasue it’s not covered…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

most people have 2 eyes, blinking allows you to see just fine with the other.

You’re arging the toss for the sake of it and trying to sound clever and it’s not working. My wife won’t wear glasses and I’ve had to stop and dig her eye out more than once. You know what I mean.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve had to stop and dig her eye out more than once.

What the?

GW
    Free Member

If it matters, which it doesn’t, maybe this lengthy debate is all because we care?

Care? think they’re right more like.

Its the same on a motorbike

of course it **** isn’t!

It’s already happening. How many new trail sites are disappearing due to liabilities becoming prime cause to refuse entry to private land.

Dunno, tell us? I can’t think of any where that is the only reason.

When has a single action not been a trigger for a further event? Everything is interconnected.

Uh? :?what’s your massively irrelevant point?

If you ride in protective clothing in the inherently random environment we all seemingly enjoy, sending out (apparently unsubstantiated) safety concious visual messages tells all the other users of the land that you take your own, and potentially their safety seriously.

no **** it doesn’t 😆

AndyRT
    Free Member

GW, Chill out

GW
    Free Member

A lot better than you are, sunshine.

“Sunshine”? 😆 are you a 1960s policeman? “ello ello ello” 😉

It’s called a different point of view, and it’s obvioulsy working because you disagree with it.
    Eh?

I’m not saying my point of view is the only right one, I’m saying it’s not wrong!! 🙄 your point of view is wrong because you’re so narrow minded you can’t accept other points of view may also be right.

NOT thinking for myself would be agreeing with your incorrect viewpoint..!

Ok, you’re right you are definitely just “thinking for yourself” 8)

Maybe you should start, becasue soon you’re gonna hurt those hands you know! And yes, I’ve seen it done. (On a motorbike, but it’s the same principal, it was a slow crash) You wanna see the mess a metal watch strap makes when it’s pushed up your arm becasue it’s not covered…..

WTF are you on about? I don’t wear a watch or ride a motorbike! but when I do wear gloves I wear the thinnest I can find and they don’t protect my hands (ripping a finger clean off one in a silly little crash is proof enough of this)

Ps. go on a first aid course if you think digging mud out of eyes is the best way to clean them.

GW
    Free Member

Andy – what makes you think I’m angry? are you angry? 8)

benfeh
    Free Member

I always wear a helmet on my bike and so does my 3 year old. That’s my choice and I feel safer with it.

But… 2 years ago Dublin launched its city wide bike scheme like the one in Paris etc – 500 bikes. It has been extremely successful, with 11,000 trips recorded in one day this year. It’s been really good for cycling in dublin. Similar schemes in similar sized cities in Australia have had very limited success and the main reason is because Australia has mandatory helmet laws and we don’t. People can just hop on a bike here and go.

There have been no serious accidents over the 2 years with well over 1,000,000 trips in Dublin and Dublin city centre is by no means a particularly bike friendly environment.

I and my son will continue wearing our helmets but I can’t really argue against the success of the Dublin bike scheme.

Against my instinct to say mandatory helmet wearing, I have to go with personal choice.

eyerideit
    Free Member

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

My helmet makes my invincible 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I wear a helmet, body armour and a spine protector so that I can ride as fast and stupidly as I like and never get hurt.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Curiously I was speaking to a surgeon the other day, of the cranial area, who said he’d only ever operated on people with head injuries from not wearing helmets in cycling accidents, he’d never in his career had to repair a head on a cyclist who had been wearing a helmet. Annecdotal evidence of course, worth the paper it’s printed on, but a fascinating fact all the same.

clubber
    Free Member

But they all had neck injuries instead (C TJ 1901-2011) 😉

clubber
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

But they all had neck injuries instead (C TJ 1901-2011)

It’s certainly a possibility, that point was raised but the look of derision in his eyes was somewhat offputting!

billysugger
    Free Member

I don’t wear one because this guy looks cool as.

I bet he wouldn’t go thirsty in the rainforest either.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

fasthaggis

eyerideit
    Free Member

any takers?

miketually
    Free Member

Curiously I was speaking to a surgeon the other day, of the cranial area, who said he’d only ever operated on people with head injuries from not wearing helmets in cycling accidents, he’d never in his career had to repair a head on a cyclist who had been wearing a helmet. Annecdotal evidence of course, worth the paper it’s printed on, but a fascinating fact all the same.

His entire career is spent treating non-helmet wearing cyclist’s head injuries? Wow.

I know a retired surgeon, who is also a cyclist and former doctor for the Milk Race and British cycling. A colleague of his looked at the coroner’s reports for cycling fatalities and didn’t think there was a single one where injuries wouldn’t have also killed them, when head injury was the cause of death. Neither wore helmets.

ChrisHeath

but when I do wear gloves I wear the thinnest I can find and they don’t protect my hands (ripping a finger clean off one in a silly little crash is proof enough of this)

Or, maybe, right, maybe the glove actually worked! You know, without it, that could have been your finger that was ripped off!

Well, it works for the ‘I would’ve been killed to death if I hadn’t have been wearing a helmet’ argument…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Well i don’t really care if the dad is wearing a helmet or not but for goodness sake put one on the child!!

😈

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Giro and Bell lose market share to homemade ones in Egypt….

Bez

Comparing a head injury to a finger injury is pretty misguided. If we’re doing comparisons then I think only spinal (inc. neck and brain stem) and vital organ injuries are relevant in the same discussion as head injuries.

v8ninety

Or we could just agree that people’s right to protect themselves or otherwise is their own decision, whether we like it or not, and move on.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘No helmet?’ is closed to new replies.