Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • Moral medical / work dilemma
  • rsmythe
    Free Member

Life is too short to worry about things like this. Be up front with your boss and tell them you are not going in January, full stop. You can stop worrying about it then. I understand that you make a sacrifice at great expense to your health so your family can have a nice holiday. You are under no obligation to go through it twice in a year to please your boss. Why should you care as much about work as your family? If you have not discussed this with your family, I would seriously consider not flying for your holidays though, since it causes you so many problems. Why not drive and ferry, or catch a train to the south of France? There are lots of sunny places you don’t need to fly to get to!

badnewz
    Free Member

If it is a long-haul for work once a year, then I would medicate for it – on certain anti-anxiety medications, with enough dosage, you simply wouldn’t be able to have a panic attack.
    If work demands you fly more than that, then I’d say upfront, I can’t do that, and see what they say, or leave the job.
    The manager’s comments were snide and suggests he/she is a bell-end.
    In terms of the panic attacks, I think it’s likely you are not afraid of flying but that you suffered a big panic attack in an airport and now your nervous system associates it with danger/fear. Perhaps you could work on that angle with the therapist.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You should get the Audi.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I absolutely get where the OP is coming from. I fly on holiday, but i wont fly for work

My rational, I’m not going to risk crashing in a ball of flames for my employer, but for a week in the alps i’m prepared to take my chances

Daffy

You need some CBT. You have a phobia linked to a specific event, it can be fixed.

What, precisely, is it that bother syou about flying? I know you said falling, but this isn’t common for phobias about flight.

DrJ

You need some CBT. You have a phobia linked to a specific event, it can be fixed.

He tried that apparently.

I can understand a crippling phobia that prevents him from doing something like flying but I have a really hard time thinking of something that I like so much (Barbados, whatever) that I’ll endure the nasty stuff for, if it is as nasty as described. If his boss is as non-perceptive as me it’s clear it will have a negative career impact.

Kryton57

DrJ – your point is appropriate. But, its not rational and there lies the problem.

boblo
    Free Member

Or, just tell your boss you’re driving on holiday. It’s the apparent rubbing his/your employers nose in it that’s the issue.

scaredypants

Or, just tell your boss you’re driving on holiday

to Barbados ?

scaredypants

Must admit, if I had a phobia relating to flying there’s NO WAY (barring total one-offs like funeral of someone really close to me) I’d be on a plane in my leisure time. I definitely wouldn’t ruin my holidays by taking meds that affect me for 4 days out and 4 days back again

THAT is the shit you don’t want in your life – drop that hassle/anxiety and your working problem disappears. 2 birds with one stone

andykirk
    Free Member

What rsmythe said. Tenfold. Life is much better since I stopped giving even half a toss about work.

scaredypants

first time this happend was in 2001, when a former employer forced me into a position to go to NZ threatening me with the sack, resulting in my first ever blackout at Heathrow

to be clear – at that point you had no prior anxiety about flying at all and it was just the being forced to travel (plus your personal stresses) that caused this

… or were you already anxious about flying prior to that?

jamiep
    Free Member

It is entirely reasonable that specific context would be a trigger whereas other contexts would not. Your boss need to be reminded that mental health issues are also HEALTH issues. I would be doing so in writing, copying OH

scotroutes

OP – I hope you don’t mind me linking to your previous thread. It might provide more background.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-real-fear-of-flying

zippykona

I hope you’re not driving a hire car when you land in Spain, diazepam has a low legal threshold for driving in U.K. Iirc.

Can you expand on this please. I always drop one or two 2 mg diazepam when I arrive at Gatwick. 5 hours later I will picking up a hire car in Majorca.
    Am I on dodgy ground here?

slowster
    Free Member

My own perspective on the (very slight) risks when flying is that I cannot control what happens, and so worrying about what might happen is a waste of mental and nervous energy. Obviously that is a rational perspective, and just because I think that way does not make me right or clever – it’s simply the way I am (and a bad flying experience might completely change my attitude).

I raise the issue of being ‘in control’ or able to influence the situation, because I know that some people cannot stand being driven in a car, but are quite happy when they are the driver.

Obviously BA are not going to let you sit in the co-pilot’s seat. However, I wonder if for someone for whom the usual course offered by BA etc. has not been successful where the course is focused on the passive experience as a passenger (and so not in control), whether the opposite approach might work. In other words, would someone with an extreme reaction to sitting in a passenger seat be better able to cope and overcome those feelings and fears, if they had even a little experience of flying a plane?

I am not necessarily suggesting this for Kryton57, but I imagine that it would be possible to spend quite a bit of time in a flight simulator learning the basics, before going up with an instructor in a training aircraft, and the experience of being in control and flying the aircraft might make it easier to adjust to being a passenger in a jet.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

If you told our Occupational Health what you took to get yourself on a plane, there isn’t a chance in hell you would ever travel by plane on business.

The anxiety probably puts you within the protection of the Equality Act (and your manager on dodgy ground) but you can understand if the simple version he sees is “won’t fly for work, but is happy to jet off on holiday.” A letter from your doctor to the manager, OH (cos it’s medical) and HR (cos it’s Equality Act stuff) should suffice.

Can you expand on this please. I always drop one or two 2 mg diazepam when I arrive at Gatwick. 5 hours later I will picking up a hire car in Majorca.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/drug-drive-legislation-am-i-fit-to-drive

It is a defence if your driving is not impaired (the target is abusers, not those with prescriptions). Anecdotally, a typical prescription should see you just under the limit but tolerant people may well be given more and be over.

scaredypants

Am I on dodgy ground here?

Potentially, yes
    Takes half to an hour or so for absorption, Longish half-life —> on picking up your car you will very likely have easily detectable levels of a drug that is KNOWN to have potential to impair your ability to drive. If you were involved in a big crash shortly afterwards that could easily be part of a case against you, I’d have thought. If the level was ABOVE the limit for whatever country you’re in, possibly a big, big deal (but they may have no limit specified, in which case it’s all back to subjective decisions)

(and if you also had dectectable alcohol levels I’d be among those baying for you to be banned & possibly jailed)

scotroutes

Kryton- what are you expected to do on this work trip? Is there a chance that it’s what happens at the far end that causes your anxiety too? Maybe you don’t like mingling with strangers or you have to stand up and give a talk of some sort. Could it be you’re uncomfortable being there with your peers and maybe in being measured up against them?

boblo
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    Or, just tell your boss you’re driving on holiday
    to Barbados ?

With disinformation, less is definitely more… 😉

scaredypants

hmmmm

for some, I suspect going to Barbados and not telling anyone about it may be worse than the flight

boblo
    Free Member

There lies the problem. Gobbing off about going to the Caribbean one minute, refusing to fly for work the next…

That may seem a little unfair but it’s probably the impression given.

Kryton57

to be clear – at that point you had no prior anxiety about flying at all and it was just the being forced to travel (plus your personal stresses) that caused this
    … or were you already anxious about flying prior to that?

Yes, i was getting inceasingly more nervous of tubulence having experienced some frequent nerve racking experiences back and forth to Shetland/Western Isles over 3 years

Its the turbulence / anticipation thereof that scares me. Yes, ive read all the de bunking.

Gobbing off

Not the case, we go once every 4 years or so to see family there. Its not boast.

Kryton- what are you expected to do on this work trip? Is there a chance that it’s what happens at the far end that causes your anxiety too? Maybe you don’t like mingling with strangers or you have to stand up and give a talk of some sort. Could it be you’re uncomfortable being there with your peers and maybe in being measured up against them?

No. Its a Sales kickoff. We listen to the execs telling us the good/bad of the previous year, this years focus, recieve awards if appropriate and get pissed in the evenings. Not really pressure or a hardship. I should say i went to a similar event in Frankfurt, but took the train.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s not remotely unfair if travel is not part of the job. There must be plenty of people with eg caring responsibilities who cannot go off travelling at request of job, even if they can do it for holidays. Either the OP has an obligation to travel in which case he needs to either suck it up or change contract/job or he doesn’t, and in neither case are his holiday plans any of the company’s bloody business.

ctk
    Free Member

I’d be on the Eurostar to the south of France if I was scared of flying.

My opinion is the same as those above, its up to you what you do on your hols.

But if I was your boss I’d think you were taking the piss. Your scared to fly but you choose to do it in your free time!

Maybe next Florida business trip could be tied in with a Florida holiday?

giantalkali
    Free Member

Just to confirm in simple terms.

Won’t fly for work as scared
    Will fly on holiday as not VERY scared
    Boss questions this
    You feel hard done by

Imagine you asked your boss for Monday off to kick puppies. He says no as it’s gonna be a busy day. Then you discover he’s given both himself and your colleague the day off, AFTER you asked, so they can kick puppies together. He’s being selfish, it’s impacting on the business and is unreasonable.

That’s what you’re doing.

There are very few occasions where MTFU is appropriate, but this is one. Pull yourself together, you great sausage.

DrJ

It’s not remotely unfair if travel is not part of the job.

Do people have contracts that explicitly state that travel is or isn’t part of their job? Just asking as I have no idea. I don’t think it’s mentioned in my contract – I just assume that from time to time I get asked to go somewhere that may be convenient or pleasant or the opposite, and I go.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes and long hours if required.

Kryton have open and honest conversation with boss. You have a phobia about flying. If you cannot overcome it, don’t fly. Simple. Avoid the drugs solution – and frankly docs who recommend it – sort the issue out don’t mask it with drugs – too many colleges have gone down that crap route IME.

Be honest, be open, be true to yourself. No way I would expect an employee to fly under such circumstances.

(FWIW as a frequent flyer, I find long hails much much more relaxing that shirt haul, but accept the “long” bit might be issue for you 😉 )

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve always had to work hours and location as required. In practice lots of flexibility but occasionally insisted on such that consistent refusal would have been disciplinary/job-losing.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve always had to work hours and location as required. In practice lots of flexibility but occasionally insisted on such that consistent refusal would have been disciplinary/job-losing.

thecaptain
    Free Member

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Won’t fly for work as scared

Anxiety /= scared

Did you miss the bit about panic attacks and blackouts?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m torn on this one.

There’s the very logical and unemotional side that says flying for work in more stressful than flying for pleasure and they’re not really the same thing.

But then there’s the other side that says “okay, flying is crap for this guy, but he CAN do it when he wants to”.

The think if you go down the HR route you’ll be fine, but it won’t be penalty free. When it comes to managers, they know, because that’s how you become a manager how to “play the game” I know some who’d publicly say “we understand flying is an issue for you, we’ll only assign you jobs in the UK” whilst at the same time putting you right at the top of their shit-list forever more, especially after the failed attempt.

Personally, I wouldn’t tell anyone from work my holiday plans, you leave, you come back – who’s to say if you went to Barbados or Bognor, or a tunnel to France. Publiclly saying you cannot fly for work, whilst admitting you can fly for pleasure not only alienates you from your boss, but from your colleagues who have to trek across the world for work when you get to stay at home with your family.

If Social Media or work/social over-lap makes that impossible, then another tactic would be to agree to go and “do my very best, I have a plan, got the right drugs etc” this makes it your Managers gamble, not yours, it’s up to them then to decide whether they want to be the one who screwed up with this guy twice.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Anxiety /= scared

Did you miss the bit about panic attacks and blackouts?

Nope, was cutting to the chase, your selective quote undermines your argument. Want the day off to kick some puppies too?

oldtalent
    Free Member

Im with your boss. Take a big old slice of mtfu.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Im with your boss. Take a big old slice of mtfu.

Anxiety doesn’t mix well with MTFU, it causes panic attacks which leads to fight or flight responses – blacking out is bad, trying to punch your way out of Heathrow is worse.

Kryton57

Take a big old slice of mtfu.

Its funny how that phrase is utterly condemed in the many depression threads on here, but has been used or implied liberally in this one. This isnt a choice, its an irrational mental and physical reaction which effects me outside of this subject also.

Ive been a manager – several times – and I’m of the nature to apply empathy to this situation. I joined a small UK only operation which was then aquired by an American corporate. Therefore the international travel didnt feature but was created not of my choosing.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Im well aware that it may be career limiting or ending Im happy to make that choice. But applying my own management style to the situation i wouldnt “strongly convince” an employee with my issues or record – part of which attempted resolution is through the companys own medical referral – to perform such an uncomfortable action. If they were valuable to me I’d seek a common ground where their localised value helped me and they could allow other employees to take international opportunity. In fact despite my lack of 2017 attendance I am currently Europes best performing salesman by quota, so it wasnt too detrimental.

On the basis of is thread then nothing has changed. Still very few people seem to understand what this means, or the mental diffrentation from holiday to work, but it has helped me see the outside perspective. I feel i only have one course of action – that is to take the US trip and let my colleagues see how I’m affected and perhaps let them realise the outcome. In fact this reminds me i did this for a trip to Dublin, and my colleagues then commented on the “nightmare” i was going through – they were different colleagues so may I could refer to them to my current manager.

Same ‘ol then. I shall pop the pills and look forward to some Spanish beer and Sunshine next week knowing thats the carrot at then end of a rather challenging stick and accept its my lot in life.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not sure how that choice helps anyone least of all you. But your choice so good luck

(Try to stay off the meds on flights)

Kryton57

Thm – its clear people dont believe / understand the seriousness of what i go through. No choice but to either show them, convince work for a free pass, or resign.

survivor

Some proper awful folk offering advice on this thread who should of really just pressed the back button and kept their “advice” to themselves.

Kryton, your comment about mtfu and other threads is entirely justified. I’m with you on that.

I’ve no advice on your situation but I feel your pain.

All the best 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Moral medical / work dilemma’ is closed to new replies.