Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Moon on a stick please…. commuting tyre
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Hiya folks,

After a 26″ slick (thin as possible that will fit on a mavic 719)

Plenty of puncture protection and as cheap as possible (sub £15 each delivered).

Anyone got any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance

gwaelod
    Free Member

I been looking at these for the summer for my MTB commute, will stay on knobblies for winter though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-slick-mtb-tyre/

No idea if they are any good though..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good puncture protection and cheap, pick one.

emanuel
    Free Member

35mm kojaks and stans in inner tube.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I have a couple of panaracer ribomo jobbies hardly used if you are interested

Olly
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ultra-gatorskin-city-mtb-tyre/

Bit over budget, but i have had some for years and they WILL NOT wear out the buggers. never punctured on them, scary fast. if you can suck up the extra tenner an end (which isnt a small amount i admit) you wont regret it. i have built bikes around mine!

krag
    Free Member

Used some Specialized 1.25 fat boys on mavic 819s recently for a road race on a MTB. Can’t vouch for long term puncture protection but they did fine up a gravelly ski resort climb.

flap_jack
    Free Member

fat boys are fast but wear quick IME.

try and find some conti sport contacts cheap.

emanuel
    Free Member

life’s too short for cheap tyres.

MrOvershoot

flap_jack – Member

try and find some conti sport contacts cheap.
    Agree

http://www.highonbikes.com/continental-sport-contact-mtb-road-tyre.html#.UrDlwbRlmTY

BrickMan

Maxxis refuse or gatorskin / hardshell

tomd
    Free Member
    jamiep
    Free Member

As above, city jet for cheapness

nickjb
    Free Member

Spesh Nimbus were cheap last time I looked. Good at keeping the punctures out

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

yup, city jets here too jobs a good’un

stumpy01

CityJets +1

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses folks, plenty of options to look at here. I’m actually fancying upping the budget and going for some of the continentals as I like the fact they are narrower.

rp16v
    Free Member

I have a pair of little used shwal marathon 26×1.5 kevlar lined and reflective side wall u can have for £20 posted

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Continental travel conact, job done!

funkrodent

Continental Gatorskin here. Fast, hard wearing, very puncture resistant, decent grip. As close to the moon on a stick as you’re ever going to get. Well worth the extra few quid, as cheap tyres on a well used road bike are most definitely a false economy…

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Continental Gatorskin here. Fast, hard wearing, very puncture resistant, decent grip

Not sure about that, found them pretty poor in anything other than bone dry conditions

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Has the OP ever ridden on a 26×1.35 slick? I had Conti Sport Contacts in that size for a year and it was like riding on the bare rims. I’ve now got a 26×1.5 Marathon Plus on the rear and 26×1.6 Sport Contact on the front. Not noticably slower but far less harsh.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Moon on a stick please…. commuting tyre’ is closed to new replies.