Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • monthly finances,
  • gohan
    Free Member

Trying to work out my finances, recently split with the misses, she is moving out, im trying to work out if i can afford the flat on my own,

here is the break down,
    500 rent
    120 council tax
    22 tv licence
    26 internet/digital tv
    33 water
    90 electric
    50 bike
    841 total,

now i have been tryin to work out if im missing anything, i dont have a loan, and the gas is included, can anyone think of anything i might have missed?
    september the bike payments finish, and i can easily go down to a basic internet package and drop the tv channels, but there is no tv ariel so got to have digital (unless i just use the internet for tv) and council tax for single person is reduced right? any advice greatly welcome, monthly take home is arround £935 so as i look at it its not lookin too good seeing as i have not included food, obv answer is get a flat mate i know, 🙁

Filthy
    Free Member

council tax should go down for single occupancy

gohan
    Free Member

and will have ot cut down on the electric usage too! 🙁

loddrik
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I pay more than that each month just on my daughters nursery fees!!!

gohan
    Free Member

just googled bristol council, its 25% off for single occupancy, still not lookin good,

ton

food……
    ditch the tv.

Filthy
    Free Member

get rid of TV and licence

go on a water meter

use less electrickery

live off beans

and you might have a bit left over for the odd pint and some shiney bike bits

or just get a flatmate

Jimbo
    Free Member

You’ve missed home contents insurance.

gohan
    Free Member

Yeah, dont have any at min Jimbo, and tv and licence rid of is do able, seeing as there is not an aerial i could say im just using the tv for dvd/ xbox right?

nickc

Mobile/phone?
    Food?
    Going out?
    Clothes?
    car/commute?

GJP
    Free Member

No phone – mobile

Ewan
    Free Member

Your leccy is very high. I live in a flat and I dont’ use anywhere near that amount – more like 30 quid a month – I heat it using electric as well. As you have gas what on earth are you using it for!

Get a water meter, for less than 4 people you should save money.

You appear to be paying for two TV licences, 22 a month is 264 quid! You need one for the entire house.

Change to a different internet provider and pay about 10 quid a month tops. Ditch the cable and get a digi box for 19 quid from asda.

gohan
    Free Member

mobiles pay as you go, tenner a month, not thinking of my running costs, thinking of the roof over my head, she is moving out end of may so got to have a plan by the end of this month else im ****……………

woffle
    Free Member

Ouch.

As said above really -not sure what else you’re missing and:

Bin the tv – you can catch up on things via the internet if you need to. You shouldn’t be paying more than a tenner a month for an ISP either unless you need top speeds / contention ratios / fixed IPs etc. I pay £17.50 but then I have to have all of those as I work from home 1 day a week and work contribute.
    Your electric is way too high by a factor of 3 I reckon – we’re paying £35 a month for a family of four. Have you checked with your supplier to see whether you’re in credit? I don’t see why you shouldn’t be when you’re paying that a month. When my wife and I had a flat we discovered we’d overpaid by over £200 in our first year and the refund paid for a nice weekend away.
    Ditto your water rates – you on a meter? It’d be worth asking if not as you should save on that too.

Longer term I guess you’re looking at a flatmate? 1/2 the rent and bills gives you a lot more leeway..

forge197
    Free Member

second getting a water meter we pay £13 a month for water, and the electricity looks high for a flat.

Good Luck

muggomagic

What about either a lodger or better paid/2nd job?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Weren’t you posting for a flatmate here the other day mate? Have you not found anyone or tried gumtree? Wouldn’t having someone around be a bit more fun as well?

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you want a water meter, remember to tell your landlord that the property can be reverted back to metered water at any time after your occupancy. Oh, and it’s free to install. Electric is way way too high. Even if you have night storage heaters thats too much, plus you won’t need to heat the house at all for the next 6 months.

You still need a licence if you have a TV, but you could get rid of that and get a cheap monitor, that would save you about £30 a month.

It is doable, just, but it won’t be much fun. I’d say you would be able to scrape by until you can find a flatmate.

Guilliano
    Free Member

I just tried that linky, but it doesn’t say if the income limit is gross or net.

myheadsashed

My water bill is £11 a month on a meter.

Guilliano
    Free Member

Pants….. that means I can’t afford a flat either!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

if you have a sky box you can get a freesatfromsky card for £20, which will give you all the freeview and free-to-air channels. No monthly payments after that.

gohan
    Free Member

hey cheers for all the help guys, i have put a post on gum tree and im going to ditch the tv/internet package for a cheaper one, i dont watch more than an hour of tv a day and its all repeats any way! 3 people interested so far so lookin like i will be ok, will keep you posted! im just staying positive! ta STW!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Good luck. Hope you get sorted.

TinMan
    Free Member

Remember – Do check the lecky statement against your actual reading before she leaves. If you’re in credit, don’t mention it. If it’s got an debit balance (unlikely on 90 p/m) get her to pay her half before she goes!

Do you religiously switch things off when not in use?

Water meter is a must. I got one when I split with an ex, went from £30p/m to £2p/m because I used so little. (They had to back date usage from date I requested the meter to installation). Once in, can you use showers at work to cut down on water & lecky usage?

Only thing I think may be missing – for internet, do you have to maintain separate line rental? Internet should be no more than a tenner, but combined with line rental, can be £20. At that point Mobile Broadband for £15 looks very attractive.

Good luck, you should make it without too much discomfort.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘monthly finances,’ is closed to new replies.