Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Monstercross on the cheap….
  • lovewookie

More a would it work than an I’m going to do it, but thinking about fat ish tyred cx bikes.

If, and a big if, I were to size down from my normal 20″ frame to an 18″ 29er, to get a shorter tt, fit long 26″ forks to steepen the angles a bit, plonk 29er wheels in and a set of shallow drops would it ride like a dog?

Thinking about a cheap 29er frame like the inbred.

What do you think? Anyone tried it?

Sam

Well, you likely won’t fit a 29″ wheel in the back of a 26″ frame. And it would still ride like shite. Better off getting an old steel CX bike and improving the tyre clearance as required with a 2″ bit of scaffolding pole.

owlclawjones
    Free Member

Looks like it could work:
    [/url]

OCB
    Free Member

lovewookie

Interesting, I thought with the extra reach of the drops I’d be better off going smaller size rather than silly short stem. Also with regular 29er forks and the long reach/slackish angle, thought it may be a bit barge like.

paul4stones

Sam – I don’t think he’s putting a 29er wheel in a 26 frame, just in a smaller 29er frame.

I’ve done it with an Inbred 29er that fitted me and some 450 a-c forks which were a bit short. With normal forks on it was better but more of a drop barred 29er than a monstercross 😉

ibnchris

I’m riding a swift with midge bars and love it…didn’t worry about shorter stem or anything because I like having a slightly longer top tube on the road. Rides well…

takisawa2

Just plonk a 40mm stem on the 20″ version.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Monstercross on the cheap….’ is closed to new replies.