Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Septic tank replacement?
  • bruk

Had an issue with the septic tank backing up. Suspected the soakaway may be failing and a bit of digging has confirmed this. Looks like it was installed way too deep to begin with.

Tank isn’t currently registered with EA and any repair will have to follow new guidelines to get it a permit.

Anyone got any experience of the water treatment plants and specifically if there are any issues with piggy backing one onto the existing septic tank. 1st quote came in at 21k for a plant. ( does serve 8 dwellings)

sharkbait
    Free Member

😯

I think my replacement septic tank cost about £3k installed with a new soakaway. I take it you’ve not got room for a new soakaway.

bruk

Correct. No space elsewhere to put a new soakaway in and too far to hook into mains drainage.

1st quote was for some enormous water treatment plant. 2nd guy coming tomorrow suggested a smaller one feeding off the septic tank over the phone which the 1st guy said wouldn’t work properly.

blurty
    Free Member

Can’t you just replace the spreaders?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Can’t you just hold it in until you get to work?

bruk

I can but it’s a bit hard for the 3 year old!

Price isn’t so bad split between 8 but would still like it cheaper.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Where are you based?

This is the kinda thing I do 😉 Treatment plants aren’t that much more expensive than old fashioned septic tanks, it is the putting them in the ground bit that gets pricey! Adding one to the back of a Septic Tank is pretty common practice, and there are some really nice looking units that we have just started using which can be designed to be used in this manner (many have a settlement tank built in, but you can loose that and just use the existing septic tank as the settlement and save a little cash and a fair bit of digging).

Septic Tanks should be registered with the EA anyway now, but they don’t usually ask you to do anything beyond letting them know.

Would need more details to give you any real info.

bruk

Based in Cheshire near Delamere in fact. Not sure where you are based?

We already have a big hole in the ground courtesy of the over enthusiastic chap who came to check out the outlet pipe.

Good to know we can piggy back the treatment plant onto the septic tank. There is the ability to run it out into the ditch at the end of the paddock or back into surface water drainage too.

It serves a barn conversion with 8 houses in it a mix of 2,3 and 4 bedroom properties.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

We are up in Cumbria (South Lakes) – we have work down in Prestbury so may go down that far.

Will drop you an email.

bruk

Excellent, thanks.

jules.b
    Free Member

I had the same problem, and had nowhere left to dig another drainage field. We had a “Mantair” unit added to our two chamber septic tank. Five years on it’s working well, with minimal DIY servicing required. Our was also unregistered – it was a simple process to register.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

This might not be hugely helpful but we have a klargester treatment plant serving 2 houses which completely replaced the old septic tank (for 4 houses – dunno what the other 2 are doing now), its been (according to previous owners) quite reliable for around 10 years, and has just needed first repair – new motor/gearbox.

cudubh

We are also really keen to know the outcome of today’s visit. Like the OP our soakaway is giving us problems. It is on our neghbours land and appears to be failing. The house has used the soakaway for 20 odd years so I guess that is probably fair enough. The current regulations wouldn’t allow us to put in a new soakaway and I am not sure the neighbours would be desperately keen on that anyway. There is no option for us to connect to mains sewage and although we do have one neighbour we have separate septics. The idea of something that could be stuck on to the back end of the existing septic is quite appealing. We are based in central Scotland so if there is anybody who has experience of anyone local that would be great.

Pigface
    Free Member

9 properties into one septic tank, either it is huge or you are emptying often.

siwhite
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience with Marsh sewage treatment tanks? The fact that they can be set into pea shingle (not concrete as is more usual…) appeals, plus no great big dome in the lawn…

We are about to replace a cess pit (with blocked soakaways…) with a sewage treatment plant – and will be discharging into a drainage ditch.

bruk

V useful chat with Capt. Kronos dad re our issues, confirmed much of what I have read although lots depends on the site visit. We are a bit out of his area but great to get some advice from somebody not trying to sell you something. Does sound like a big bill coming our way though partly due to the size of the plant needed.

Having booked to come out at 5pm they came out about 4 and had a look when I was still at work! Will contact me tomorrow with some questions etc. these are the guys who installed a water treatment plant at our neighbours house down the hill so hopefully will be able to give us decent advice.

Will update with more info when it comes.

stuart550
    Free Member

Jules.B – interested to hear your thoughts and speak about the Mantair system if possible? Can you send me an PM please if you pick this up….

many thanks.

Stuart

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Septic tank replacement?’ is closed to new replies.