Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Monmouth and Wye valley
  • matt-lewis
    Free Member

Morning,

Anyone out there want to show me the nice bits of singletrack that the wye valley has to offer. I've been living in Monmouth for 2 weeks and found some peachy stuff myself but there must be more out there. Can make either very early rides or night rides would be ideal. I've heard rumours of a group that leaves the Wye bridge at 7.30pmish. Anyone out there that could tell me more.

Thanks.

Matt Lewis

psling
    Free Member

Hi Matt, I live just outside Monmouth and would be happy to meet up and give you some local info. There is a group that meet on the Wye Bridge at 6.30pm on Wednesdays. They are a friendly bunch and, if I remember rightly you posted a while back saying you were coming to Monmouth with a xc / tri background which would fit in nicely with some of that group.

I'd be happy to show you round the Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley but my pace is a bit more leisurely 🙂 Even so, I like to think I know the area like the back of my hand 😉

glenp
    Free Member

Never cycled there, but must mention The Boat at (or rather below) Penault which is the nearest pub to my Auntie's house and an absolute classic. A rare thing it is these days to find a genuine proper country pub, and this is a wonderful example. You can get to the pub via a footbridge from the main road on the other side of the river.

steve-t
    Free Member

Hi Matt. There's loads of riders around. I ride the Wye valley and FoD regularly, including the wednesday night rides (6.30 by the Wye bridge) which are a bit full on if you're not used to them! Ross cycle club are riding in the forest most sundays and here's usually someone out on a Saturday too. drop me a line on steve.trust(at)btopenworld.com

Rickos
    Free Member

*waves*
    I'm in Osbaston and know some tracks around Staunton which are good for a 2 to 3 hour blast in a sessiony kinda way (mostly up and down, very little along). Never been out on a Wednesday night, mainly cos I'd heard it was a bit quick and likely to rip your legs off. They usually finish at The Boat pub across the river at Redbrook. I'm starting to get to know a bit of the FoD from the cycle centre, but my knowledge is just a drop in the ocean really. Psling is your man for FoD apparently.

Drop me a line (e-mail in profile) if you fancy meeting up for a wee spin at the weekend.

redthunder
    Free Member

I ride wentwood, wye valley. But mainly towards chepstow.

Drop us a mail here…if your interested.
    http://sites.google.com/site/mtbsglos/home

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Thanks,

That's really helpful! I can't make the Wednesday's until October due to work. I'm guessing that they still go out once the clocks go back though.

I'll drop you a line and catch up.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Matt

matt-lewis
    Free Member

psling,

I migbe a bit thick here but I can't work out how to send an email via profile.

Matt

psling
    Free Member

Not being thick, my e-mail addy isn't in my profile! It's pslingATruardean-gl17DOTfsnetDOTcoDOTuk

Having said that, I hope you don't teach English!! Are you teaching in Monmouth?

matt-lewis
    Free Member

I'm at the boys' school; teaching History you'll be pleased to hear and not English!

Matt

mattsccm
    Free Member

We, well not me at the moment as my lights are knackered, Meet at the Tufthorn Inn in milkwall, just past Coleford for your. 7.30. Every week unless Weds = xmas day. 2 groups, quick and sluggish. Pub by 9.30. I think a group meet at the cycle centre at Cannop at 6.30 on Weds and the FoD cycle club did go from Parkend at 6.30 Tues. Lurk around the cycle centre

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Monmouth and Wye valley’ is closed to new replies.