Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mondraker Dune Carbon owners?
  • Furious

Going to try and get a demo on one of these soon – anyone round these parts got any experience of owning one and care to share your opinions? Thanks

RickDraper
    Free Member

I had one, it was a nice bike. Not as stiff as a Santa Cruz but I did like the overall fit of it.

maxtorque

Here’s my Dune XR:

Built in Dec 2015, with a pretty pimpy spec (180mm Lyriks, Di2 cogswapping etc) and yes, it’s a pretty darn capable bike. I have no idea if it is “not as stiff as a Santa Cruz”, whatever that means 😉 but in any (and frankly lets be honest here, most case(s) the limit is going to be the sack of spuds riding it.

things i like:

1) stability (long, slack and low)
    2) Weight: it’s juuust sub 30lb, but that’s with >1kg Super gravity tyres fitted on each end, for a bomb proof ride
    3) Big fork means i can run it quite soft at the start of travel for a comfy ride without then bottoming it out

For ref, i’m 6.1 and a little bit, and i chose the large, rather than then XL, because most of my home riding is in-the-woods type riding. If i did more DH stuff i’d have gone XL (which is a truly massive long thing )

Furious

Thanks guys

Here’s my Dune XR:

That’s a nice looking bike

akira

Always liked the look of the Dune, fence needs painting though.

lawman91

Haven’t owned a dune but have ridden them numerous times and owned a Foxy carbon for 18 months. Good bikes, pedal well and climb pretty too but do take a bit of getting used to, not a bike you can sit back on, literally and metaphorically! They demand to be ridden 100% all of the time and you need to make a very conscious effort to ride more over the front end of the bike or they just don’t work.

My Foxy had a press fit BB which was a pain in the arse (the dune is threaded) but the above was the main reason I sold it in the end. Went to something a little more agile and XC feeling (Whyte T130) and now much happier. As far as the Dune goes it’s an excellent bike if you’re wanting a flat out “Enduro” race bike. As a trail bike for weekend bashing about I’d say it’s overkill.

maxtorque

akira – fence needs painting though.

I’ll find the owner and tell him, but it will have to wait till i’m back in Les Arcs as that’s where the pic is taken 😉

lawman91
    As far as the Dune goes it’s an excellent bike if you’re wanting a flat out “Enduro” race bike. As a trail bike for weekend bashing about I’d say it’s overkill.

I’d agree with that, as it’s true of pretty much any modern long slack enduro sled………. tbh though, you can make pretty much anything feel fun and poppy with suspension setting adjustments, but it’s never going to feel the same to ride as a 120mm steep XC bike, so if your trails don’t demand it, then you’re better off with something less capable. When you need it though, wow, these modern enduro bikes deliver. Last summer in PILA i rode everything on the DH inc the full iXS downhill course and was frankly pretty shocked at how good the Dune was, even on a full on DH course! (i don’t think i would have ridden the ‘big stuff’ on my old Zesty tbh 😉

speedstar

To hijack a little, Has anyone changed out the angleset in the Dune? I assume it’s just using a headset removal tool? Or is there more hoodoo to it than that?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mondraker Dune Carbon owners?’ is closed to new replies.