Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Modern Swearing (caution: may contain swearing)
  • midlifecrashes

Just spotted the pejorative use of the word “douche” in a BBC news item. is it mainstream now or sweary? Not saying I don’t swear in person and among mates, but I wouldn’t have put it in a news report. (It was quoting someone, but the opportunity was there to paraphrase.)

Edit:I see it sailed through the swear filter.

MrsToast
    Free Member

It’s something I hear a lot on American TV shows, not really heard people in England using it.

bigrich

and the bag it came in.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Some kind of volvo cleaner I think?

organic355
    Free Member

just means shower doesnt it? 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

French for Shower perhaps.

You are a “shower” bag Sir.

wwaswas

in the US it has a far more, errm, intimate association with personal hygiene.

Lifer
    Free Member

Related to a vaginal douche.

martinhutch

Apparently ‘****’ isn’t a swear word when used in a poster campaign, according to the Advertising Standards Authority.

Still is on STW though (edit)! Clue – it’s a term used by Father Jack with one letter difference from the more conventional expletive.

midlifecrashes

Yea I know where it comes from, i.e. douchebag, a primitive form of DirtWorker for rudimentary cleaning of the office bike, but is it proper sweary like? For telly would it be “post watershed” whatever that means in Sky+Tivoland?

bigthunder
    Free Member

Thats ridiculous. Douche isnt swearing. Too much of this pc stuff going on now.

Lifer
    Free Member

No not swearing imo.

Superficial
    Free Member

Swearing or not, it makes you sound like an American teenager. I’ll let you decide whether that’s a good thing or not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I still can’t believe “Fleck” without the “l” is a swear word on here. That sucks {edited}.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could just use “fleck” instead, Darcy. Has a nice ring to it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, as a matter of fact I do. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You clever little flecker, you!

donsimon
    Free Member

I still can’t believe “Fleck” without the “l” is a swear word on here. That sucks {edited}.

Tut, tut. It’s a clear breach of the swearfilter avoidance rules and should be stamped out. It is neither big nor clever. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Like Panhandle.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

F(l)eck has been used for years. It was fine for a while here then one day it’s a naughty-naughty. ❓

druidh
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KcpgQKo2I[/video]

CountZero

I must admit I find the whole ‘swear avoidance’ thing highly amusing. Of course it’s swear avoidance, that’s the whole point, to not bruise delicate sensibilities. To then find inoffensive words being blanked because they avoid swearing, which is the whole point, really rather ironic. History is filled with words used as expletives but which are chosen to not offend people. To then penalise people for choosing words as alternatives to profanity just seems pointless and, frankly, rather petty.
    Oh well, frankly, my dear, I don’t give a frack.

donsimon
    Free Member

If avoiding swearing is in the rules as being a naughty thing to do, then that rule has to be applied no matter what and is totally dependant on the interpretation of the reader and disregards totally the intention of the speaker/writer. It’s a fogging stupid rule and the crack that thought of it needs to be strung up by the bells, if indeed they have them.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Modern Swearing (caution: may contain swearing)’ is closed to new replies.