Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mk 1 solaris – high volume rear tyre?
  • ianpv
    Free Member

What large rear tyres are people running in the back of their Solaris? I’m running 2 x 10, and am looking for something with some volume for comfort, mainly. If it is fairly fast rolling all the better. A hans dampf won’t fit – but would a 2.35 maxxis? Any suggestions welcome!

otsdr
    Free Member

I’m using a 2.35 Maxxis Ikon on Arch EX and it fits, but there is no room for mud – as I have found out after getting the paint scraped off the chainstays :).
    I have cleaned them up, touched up with clearcoat and added some helitape over the areas; hope it will be enough.

whitestone
    Free Member

@ianpv

I’m running a 2.2 Bontrager XR3 on Hope rims on my Mk1. Plenty of clearance and rolls well.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Been running a Hans Dampf 2.25 on the back of mine no probs. On a Stans Arch Ex rim.

ianpv
    Free Member

Chipbutty – are you running a front mech? Pretty sure my 2.35 HD won’t fit in there…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

One of the main reasons I moveed my Mk 1 solaris on was because I couldn’t get a fat tyre in the back.

NormalMan

I’ve a 2.2 on mine but also run 1x so no front mech to consider.

jamcorse

I had 3×9 on mine..had 2.4 Maxxis Ardent on a Stans Crest. As soon as it went out of true, I had problems and I had to cut and file the front mech for it to work from the beginning. And forget mud. Put a 2.2 Spec Purgatory on and it is fine, though I lost the paint on that part of the chainstays ages ago…

Now I’ve got 1×10 and 27.5+ but that’s a whole different story. And fits perfectly by the way.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

IMO the only downside of the Solaris, not enough tyre clearance… 🙁

noltae
    Free Member

IMO it’s not worth fitting tyres with too little clearance – put one in that fits comfortably or get a new frame ..

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Here’s some pics of the clearance with HD fitted Ian.

ianpv
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ll mount one up and have a go on mine…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mk 1 solaris – high volume rear tyre?’ is closed to new replies.