Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Missing riding "mojo"
  • angryratio
    Free Member

I've come back from a few days in Scotland.
    Ae, Dalbeatie, and Mabie.
    Anything remotely rocky or fiddly i was useless. I partly blame my Mountain Cycle frame. I've never owned one before (it's single pivot)

Any tips for being less inept or do i need to just put the miles in getting used to it.

juiced
    Free Member

take the bike to a bmx track and get used to it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Don't blame the bike, but some bikes with a over high BB can be a bit unhelpful. You simply need to find somewhere locally that has the techy features to practice on. It also helps to have some like minded friends, who want to play about on bikes, not just go out riding.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

juiced – Member

take the bike to a bmx track and get used to it?

We went to Bradfords international standard BMX track and found it a bit of a waste of time, other than pumping the rollers, prehaps. The jumps were a bit too big and advanced.

Personally, I've found messing around at the local dissused quarry to be more useful, drops, riding large rock slabs, techy steep descents etc.

mrsflash
    Free Member

New bikes always take a while to get used to I find. First time I rode my Juliana I came home in tears as I thought I'd made a huge mistake. A few set up tweaks here and there over the next few weeks and it was fine.

angryratio
    Free Member

I'm already wondering whether i've gone the wrong way setup wise..
    717 to 321, and heavier tyres than my previous bike..

I'm gonna take the pointers on board and have a play in the woods tomorrow.

angryratio
    Free Member

juiced
    Free Member

take your time. There's a good chance your get used to it.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ae, Dalbeattie, Mabie – I am from Dumfries and these are my local rides. I am continually useless despite living there but I have lots of fun – ALWAYS. Stuff the mojo, just have fun on your bike.

Ahhhhhhhhh – I'm sliding! 😀

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/3912734225/in/set-72157622224281001/

angryratio
    Free Member

Simon you are the man 🙂

We stayed at Malthrone in Mabie forest. Cracking few days, with a sketchy as hell decent in the transit to get home on wednesday morning. (epic snow)

forge197
    Free Member

Simon – I love that bit 🙂

Should be on that bit this weekend will say hello to it for you.

To the OP happens sometimes, I go through phases at the moment I am recovering from a leg problem and am cautious on overtly technical bits that before I'd breeze through but I am getting better, stick with it and it will come back, if it's a new bike as mentioned you may be getting used to it, don't give up though.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Forge – will be back home on 27th March, and will be around for a week so hope to get a ride in some time!

To the Op – I managed to go over my handlebars on a bit of bridleway a few weeks ago – but was loving my ride. Dont worry – I am sure your mojo will return.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Mind you, I see jedi was having some troubles up at Glentress so maybe I could give him some pointers. I seem to remember applying my brakes there but my bike just carries on regardless. I am the true master of slippy surfaces 😀 (You dont thin anyone noticed the dabs in that video do you?) 😳

Rickos
    Free Member

Which Mountain Cycle frame do you have and what did you used to ride? Might be useful comparing a bit of geometry, like BB height and head angle. I don't think the single pivot would have anything to do with it.

angryratio
    Free Member

I've moved from a maxlight xc2 with 130mm of travel (revelations) to a Mountain cycle fury with 130 mm of travel at the rear.

Rickos
    Free Member

How do they compare when you're just riding along the flat? Does the Fury feel as though you're perched on the bike like it's tall?

angryratio
    Free Member

the fury feels more precarious when just riding along.

I'm gonna try a couple of things in isolation..
    going to reduce my tyre pressures by 5/10 psi and then try suspension settings.

Rickos
    Free Member

It could be just as simple as taller BB height, so make sure you've got the sag set at around 30%, but other than that there ain't much you can do to get the 'sat in' feeling. I sold my Chameleon as the BB was just too high and I couldn't get on with it – never felt good on steep techy stuff.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Missing riding "mojo"’ is closed to new replies.