Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • minion 2.5 sizing
  • hainman
    Free Member

Im looking at buying some new tyres,well 2nd hand to try them,and have seen great reports about the minions,im currently running nobby nics,but the cheapo version which i find very sketchy,how will the 2.5 size up against the nics,they will be going on a giant reign frame with RS revelations….
    Thanks

Craig

chakaping
    Free Member

They’ll fit in the fork.

Might buzz your mudguard if you have one mounted to the fork brace though.

rocketman
    Free Member

Minions have big knobs on a little carcass. They’re narrower than contemporary tyres e.g. 2.4 Schwalbes but the profile (height) is pretty much as you’d expect.

Narrow but tall IYKWIM

Would also add there are many different versions of the Minion the only thing they have in common is the tread shape and the name

hainman
    Free Member

Cheers guys,might just go with the 2.25 or try and get a 2nd hand nobby evo carcass….

robinbetts
    Free Member

I can vouch for the 2.25, they’re great! The 60a compound ones are solid, and the 42a (super tacky) stick to everything. Give them a try. I wouldn’t have said that going to 2.5 was necessary, but that’s a bit of a pointless opinion as I don’t what sort of stuff you really ride! 😉

nuke

I’d just get the 2.5 as I don’t find they come up too big…don’t look much more than the 2.25 Advantage I have on the rear

hairyscary

A 2.5 minion exo is actually 2.24″ wide when fitted to a 21mm rim.

hainman
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys,wasnt really buying 2.5 specific,just seen a set on E*** ending soon and thought id watch them,CRC have the super tacky at 20quid,might just grab 1 for up front and keep the nobby on the rear.will this combo be ok or best to go with both minion F&R??been offered 2 for 30 plus post nearly new,
    My riding is local trails,muddy xc,some rocky rooty stuff locally with the odd road to get to trails and trail centres once or twice a month,

rocketman
    Free Member

Be careful with the inexpensive wired ones they are like 1.2kg each. Super Tackys are as draggy as hell on smoother trails.

2.5 60a folder makes a good heavy duty front and works well with something like a 2.25 Ardent on the back. No need for Minions f&r unless you are shredding lots of gnar

clubby

I’m with rocketman, in fact thats exactly what I had delivered yesterday. 2.5 not any wider than 2.25 nics I used to run. 2.35 minion I took off was more like a 2 or 2.1. Great front tyre in all but very muddy conditions. 60a compound good balance of grip and life. Not had a chance to use Ardent yet but they get good reviews so here’s hoping.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Hainman check your trail Scotland pm’s

geetee1972
    Free Member

What Rocketman said. I am pretty sure that the 2.5 minion is also a dual ply carcass and as such its a DH tyre, regardless of what durometer the rubber is (and super tacky I’d awesome in wet conditions but you’d not want to do a full day on them). Dual ply tyres are very heavy. Unless you need them (I run at least a dual ply on the back if I’m in the peak or Lake District) you’ll add a ton of weight to your bike.

hainman
    Free Member

Cheers again guys,looks like the flavour of choice is the minion 60a up front,what i need to know is will i get away with keeping the nic on the back till i get funds for new one??
    I wouldnt say i shred lots of gnar but some of the stuff at Glentress is pretty rocky,rooty slippy sh**,so would be helpfull,would like to know i have a tyre that will keep the grip instead of slipping all over the place and giving me heart failure…

rocketman
    Free Member

Your Nic will be fine on the back within reason but an Ardent would be better

42a Super Tacky is sensationally grippy on the front you will be hitting off-camber rocks & roots at an angle just because you can. If that’s your priority then fair enough but be aware that you will suffer everywhere else.

The other option is a 3C Minion which is expensive but combines a fast-rolling (but slightly nervous imo) centre compound with freakily sticky 40a shoulders

clubby

2.5 minion comes in lots of flavours not just 2 ply. Mine is single ply with exo reinforeced side walls and is still pretty light for its size.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘minion 2.5 sizing’ is closed to new replies.