Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 1947 British Army in Egypt, word/initialism BIS?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

Whilst tying up my late father’s diaries came across the word or initialism BIS, which from context appears to relate to a shop of some sorts. A Google search has come up with nothing useful. Can anyone enlighten me please?

rattrap
    Free Member

Brought into service? (as in a date)

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I’d go with rattrap, though possibly Board of Inspection?

johnellison
    Free Member

A quick google of military acronyms usually throws up Brought Into Service, although it can also mean Backup Iron Sight, i.e. a non-optical aiming device fitted to a firearm or artillery piece..

craigxxl
    Free Member

In what context are they used?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Thanks for the tries guys, but I’ve seen those already and they don’t seem to fit.

In what context are they used?

‘Basil is going to the BIS – I must go with him.’

and

‘Got Basil to get me a pair of plimsolls at the BIS’

As per the tile, this was stationed in Egypt with the British Army.

scotroutes

British Infantry Stores?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Certainly fits, but with not a single Google result, I’m doubtful.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

In keeping with British Military use of acronyms:

Bowel Irritable Syndrome

craigxxl
    Free Member

Could mean British Information Services which was like a seperate office of the embassy. See here

McHamish
    Free Member

It’s got to be the Battlefield Airborne Communications Node Intra-Flight Data Link Subsystem

Or ‘BACN IFDL Subsystem’ for short.

Other than that…I don’t know.

What corps was your father in? You could contact them. Or the Britsh Legion maybe.

jock-muttley

I’m thinking Battalion or Brigade or even Base Stores,

Could even be a regimental acronym for a locality in Cairo like a casbah or other local market.

If you are really struggling then you could ask on the Arrse forums…. the answer however may not be what you expect as they can be quite irreverant as the linky will demonstrate :mrgreen:

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Could mean British Information Services which was like a separate office of the embassy.

Yes I’ve come across that before, but Googling fails to find a link with Egypt, or purchases other than books and films (i.e. media).

I haven’t discounted it, it’s just that every other acronym/initialism/contraction I’ve not known and had to Google, I’ve found multiple cross references to concur on meaning.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ask Sybil?

Macavity
    Free Member

Bank for International Settlements

klumpy
    Free Member

I think it’s Bastard In Stores. Them being incredibly keen on nice orderly full shelves, not giving stuff out.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If you are really struggling then you could ask on the Arrse forums

I would rather have a hot nitric acid enema to be honest! I used to be a member there, but left when an apparently serving soldier, NCO no less, insisted that the 5.56mm NATO round did not, was not designed to, and never had, tumble and disintegrate in flesh at high velocities/short ranges. Even the most cursory of glances at 5.56mm NATO terminal ballistics shows that’s exactly what it does.

I think it’s Bastard In Stores. Them being incredibly keen on nice orderly full shelves, not giving stuff out.

Interesting theory, makes sense. I’ll do some searching.

What corps was your father in?

Royal Army Service Corps.

Bazz

As i was frequently reminded “Stores are for storing!”

Macavity
    Free Member

A long shot?

Bazaar

FMJ

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘1947 British Army in Egypt, word/initialism BIS?’ is closed to new replies.