Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Minimum alcohol pricing and units
  • awh
    Free Member

Theresa May has opened herself up to lots ridicule on Twitter this morning by saying there needs to be a minimum price on alcohol to stop excessive drinking, but then not knowing how many units she consumes. Does anyone count the units they consume? Although it does seam a bloody obvious question to be asked and she should have prepared for it!

althepal

Aye, that was pretty stupid- she was caught right out.
    But, and I never thought I’d say this about a Tory policy, anything that helps cut down on the number of folk downing frosty jack and super on a Tuesday morning is prob a good thing..
    Strange how the Scottish Tories didn’t support another party’s bid to introduce it up here! Wonder if that’s gonna change soon?

druidh
    Free Member

althepal – they’ve already changed policy in Scotland.

Just waiting to see what the Labour policy is this week.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – now we have it.

Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper said the Labour Party supported the idea of a minimum unit price, subject to debate about where it should be set to ensure it worked.

Do you think she’s let the Labour Party in Scotland know they’re still voting the wrong way?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Be fair to May, she only got told she’d be announcing the policy yesterday after Cameron and Osborne read the post-budget papers.

stratobiker
    Free Member

It’s got nothing to do with alcohol and trying to save people has it? really?

kimbers

so where does the extra money go, i assume the manufacturers just increase their profits?

druidh
    Free Member

The row in Scotland (and the reason the Labour party vote against it) is that the increased cost goes to the retailers profits.

Mind you, they also voted against a “supermarket levy” as that would harm business profits 🙄

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Goods like this should be taxed to the hilt, luxury items along with tobacco need supertax. Maybe then use some of the extra to promote healthy eating.

singletrackmind

so where does the extra money go, i assume the manufacturers just increase their profits?

No , not at all .
    the biggest retailers will take the hit . Tesco et al will ‘ask’ for a big discount from their suppliers when doing 2 for 1 promos , or selling a box of 24 bottles for £9.99 .
    They rely on the increased volume to make up any losses , and on compliance from the supply chain .

dazz
    Free Member

another load of crap, ordinary people being punished due to the stupidity of the minority.

druidh
    Free Member

What’s your tipple dazz?

vinnyeh

another load of crap, ordinary people being punished due to the stupidity of the minority.

How’s that?
    Way I read it, it’ll be high strength lager and cider affected the most, with the very cheapest bottles of wine up a bit. Not sure how much it’ll affect your ‘ordinary’ people.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i dont drink but the issue is a cultural one [ binge drinking and pre loading] that minor cost adjustments wont alter.

dazz
    Free Member

whatever’s cheapest or on special failing that, diamond white I find it goes down well on a park bench & my dog loves it too 😀

Seriously, I very rarely drink, the last time I had a pint was over Christmas. I’m just sick of all the laws, rules, whatever else penalising ordinary people due to the idiotic few, lower the price of alcohol, let all the idiots drink themselves to death. Win – win

How’s that?
    Way I read it, it’ll be high strength lager and cider affected the most, with the very cheapest bottles of wine up a bit. Not sure how much it’ll affect your ‘ordinary’ people

Sorry Vinny, I forgot ordinary people never drink spirits, cider or high strength lager

druidh
    Free Member

Unfortunately, the idiots don’t slink off and drink quietly….. 😛

CaptJon
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    i dont drink but the issue is a cultural one [ binge drinking and pre loading] that minor cost adjustments wont alter.

pre-loading is relatively new, though, right?

druidh
    Free Member

Relatively?

butcher

The issue I have with this, is that it will do nothing to alleviate our cultural problems. But it will impede on the lives of alcoholics. Most of them already living on the edge of poverty. Taking more of their money. And more money from their children. I hardly see it as a better step towards a more positive future…

They’re talking about city centres, where people are happy to spend £50….£100….£300 on a night out… I hardly see 40p a unit making an impact. Not when bars are charging £4 a pint anyways.

And what’s this ‘pre-loading’ term about. Like it’s some dirty hit of heroin before painting the town. So Vodka’s going to go up to £10, rather than the usual £9. That group of four….I’m sure they’ll change their mind and go to the Opera when they see they have to pay an extra 25p each to ‘pre-load’…

Absolute drivel. I’d genuinely welcome a rational and reasoned counter-argument. Rather than the dude on the radio this morning who thought a tenner was a reasonable amount to spend on a night out… Clueless.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But, and I never thought I’d say this about a Tory policy, anything that helps cut down on the number of folk downing frosty jack and super on a Tuesday morning is prob a good thing..

More expensive alcohol won’t stop the sort of person who drinks on a Tuesday morning from drinking though will it?

garage-dweller

I’m not convinced by the effectiveness of this, although I did wonder if it might benefit smaller businesses who can’t compete on price with the supermarkets but they still don’t have the convenience factor of buying 12l of super cider on the weekly shop so probably not.

If it’s a minimum retail price per unit then this will go into the retailer’s pocket but ultimately the differential will get taxed (it’s extra income and I doubt they’ll be paying more wholesale so George will get a %’age to spend on hospitals etc.)

garage-dweller

More expensive alcohol won’t stop the sort of person who drinks on a Tuesday morning from drinking though will it?

Maybe not but would it make it more expensive to the point where they could afford less of it?

I suspect not. After all if your priority is to have a cheap cider or two before your smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast in the morning then you might just have to switch to a mid-range bread to afford the extra cider and live with the shame of not having an artisan loaf.

After all that I’ve decided I agree with you. 🙄

hh45
    Free Member

I’ve long thought it would be a good idea but I cannot see 40p a unit being enough to put your average binge drinker off much. so a 70 cl bottle of 40% vodka has to cost a minimum of £11.20. Still pretty cheap?

Strong (5%) lager and cheap spirits did for us when we were students!

freeagent
    Free Member

Don’t bother me, I doubt I drink 20 units year!
    I do think something needs to be done about the dirt cheap stuff all the chavvy kids drink though.

awh
    Free Member

the issue is a cultural one

This is what the report to the Home Office said, but you can’t fix long term cultural problems with a rushed announcement in the Commons.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

At least in Scotland we are able to make these changes, goodness knows we need them.

Even if it does little to change the habits maybe the money could be used to fund tax cuts for the working class.

jamesl
    Free Member

Not sure this will make any difference, but something needs to be tried. Dont drink myself, so cant really comment.

I did see someone on TV this morning saying alcohol related A&E admissions should be charged/fined say £50, which I initially thought sounded fair, but then realised I am most likely to end up in hospital with a self inflicted injury (ala bike) so is that any different? Although hopefully I would be in a more polite and not spewing everywhere. Hopefully.

john_drummer
    Free Member

ordinary people being punished

this ordinary person won’t be punished no matter how high the price goes

I make my own 😉

grain:
    3.000kg pale malt
    0.230kg crystal malt

hops:
    9g Cascade 60 mins
    18g Challenger 60 mins
    15g Cascade 10 mins
    5g Bobek 0 mins
    26 litres of water
    yeast

steep grains in a mesh bag in the water in a big pan for 60-90 minutes at 64-69degC

remove mesh bag & rinse grains; add rinse water to the pan.
    bring to boil
    add 60 minute hops 50 minutes
    add 10 minute hops and 3g “irish moss”, continue boiling for another 10 minutes
    turn heat off
    when it gets down to 80degC, add the 0 minute hops

transfer to sterilised bucket. cool to 22degC. Add yeast. wait for 1-2 weeks. transfer into bottles, add a little bit more sugar. cap the bottles & wait 3 weeks.
    Bingo, 18 litres of beer about 3.8% ABV. Want it stronger? use more pale malt.

price? as little as £8 for the 36x 500ml bottles.

zokes
    Free Member

As others have said, it might make it a little easier for small local pubs to scrape by when the supermarket down the road can’t sell chemical lager as a loss-leader

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Goods like this should be taxed to the hilt, luxury items along with tobacco need supertax. Maybe then use some of the extra to promote healthy eating.

And you don’t think alcohol is taxed to the hilt ?

Alcohol duty in the UK is among the highest in the world.

aracer
    Free Member

And you don’t think alcohol is taxed to the hilt ?

Try asking a Norwegian if ours is taxed to the hilt.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why, are Norwegians renowned for their expertise on UK alcohol duty levels ?

UK tax rates on beer are eight times higher than in France, 10 times higher than in Spain and 11 times higher than in Germany.

Britain’s beer drinkers are paying 40% of the entire beer duty bill in the European Union – despite Britain’s 12% share of the total population.

http://www.eatoutmagazine.co.uk/online_article/Beer-taxes-already-among-highest-in-the-world,-warns-BBPA/12811

coolhandluke
    Free Member

pre-loading is relatively new, though, right?

I guess we’re we’re Pre Loading I the early 90’s in the student days when we had a few cans of Brew to “sharpen up” before heading out.

slackalice
    Free Member

It’s making Meths better value again. And freely available at your local DIY superstore

konabunny
    Free Member

the issue is a cultural one [ binge drinking and pre loading] that minor cost adjustments wont alter.

Like with tobacco, the cost increase (maintenance, maybe) is just one element that works along with all the other measures to reduce consumption.

MSP

I suspect its the relatively high price of beer in pubs that has increased the demand for higher strength drinks, when you have to pay so much you want more bang for your buck.

They should set two duty levels for beer, doubling when a drink is stronger than 4.5 gravity.
    And change the licensing laws so that numbers are more restricted in pubs and bars to end the cattle markets that currently seem to dominate the British drinking scene.

zokes
    Free Member

And change the licensing laws so that numbers are more restricted in pubs and bars to end the cattle markets that currently seem to dominate the British drinking scene.

You clearly drink in the wrong pubs

althepal

Well, I don’t think it’s a few idiots who are spoiling it for everyone else.. Closer to 50/50 perhaps- especially at weekends!
    Oh, and I don’t think this is a solution to the problems, socio-economic, cultural blah blah blah..
    But at least its a start..
    What next though- NHS Super? Done it with Heroin/methadone so why not??

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not really followed this so can someone clarify. If it is 40p a unit then cans of Stella will basically be just short of a quid, does this mean they will no longer be able to be sold on offer? No loopholes etc? You’re paying for a slab of 24 ie 24 quid but were gonna give you some free??

MSP

You clearly drink in the wrong pubs

Its not about where I drink, its about the thousands upon thousands of pubs that dominate UK town centres where the business model is to pack em in, blast out loud music and serve strong lager.

The whole scenario is clearly anti-social, and it no surprise that it creates anti-social behaviour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Minimum alcohol pricing and units’ is closed to new replies.