• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by P20.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mini Mag lite LED conversion
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Are these any good? Any recommendations?

cmotd68
    Free Member

I converted mine last year and well worth it. Much brighter output than the normal bulb.

Can’t remember which one I went for (several available) as I’m at work and the info is at home. Easy to convert as well.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

any point with dx torches being so good and so cheap?

AD

Bought a cheap kit (Terralux from memory) off ebay a couple of years ago. Really easy to fit, much brighter light (obviously) and burn times much longer – nothing negative from my perspective.

Edit for Rob – I already had the mag lite… 🙂

kiwijohn

If you’ve got a Maglite, then yes.
    Mine is 15 years old & a 3 LED conversion was definitely worth it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how much is a conversion vs a £6 torch with better output from dx?

AD

It was under £10 but you are of course correct – if I was converting it today (and not a couple of years ago), I could have saved some pennies. I would still convert the mag lite though. I like tinkering with stuff and don’t see the point of land filling absolutely everything… From al’s previous posts I suspect messing with an existing torch would be of more interest than buying a new one.

boblo
    Free Member

Al I did one a few months ago. Coupled it with another upgrade you may be interested in:

downshep

Charge Spoon?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Spits tea over screen at Boblo’s contribution.

Excellent work!

Ben_mw

Brilliant!

(Keyboard covered in coffee)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

IIRC Maglite bulbs are bright, but expensive. LEDs should last forever. I’d do it, but then I like to play with LED’s.

What does the kit cost, what’s the O/P and what’s the power consumption vs a regular Maglite bulb?

cynic-al
    Free Member

For teh 547,143rd time:

IT WASN’T A SPOON

😡

kiwijohn

The Nite Ize 3 led is about $6, with 4 times the battery life.

billyboulders
    Free Member

I’ve had my mini mag lite since 1991 and it’s done sterling weekly service throughout. Was even my most powerful bar and then helmet mounted light for a while before l.e.d. tech. caught up.
    I did a single l.e.d. conversion that slots in the existing bulb wire holder in about 2006, obviously a vast improvement over the incandescent bulbs and still going strong now. I did lose a bit of beam adjustability though, the l.e.d. is alot bigger diameter than the original bulbs so the hole is bigger on the reflector and makes a dark spot as you wind it out. The l.e.d. conversions may be better now though? Good torches.
    I’ve got a $6 DX torch I keep in the pocket of my big dog walking coat, it way outshines the maglite and I’ve obviously got better bike lights as tech. has moved on but none of that kit is 20 odd years old yet. I dunno if my DX bastid will ever have the same emotional attachment as my maglite either TBH.

Nice right angle beam diffuser mod. BTW boblo 😆

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Has anyone done this for a solitaire mag lite?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Has anyone done this for a Solitaire mag lite?

I was looking for Solitaire LED conversions last week and I could only find them available in the USA. Even then they were only about 15 lumens as opposed to a LED Solitaire which was 35 lumens and around £12, so hardly worth doing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks, even to boblo 😛

I have a nice wee handlebar bracket for it which makes it much more versatile than any other similar light – of which I have 3.

And FWIW I’ve never seen multi LED light that wasn’t crap!

boblo
    Free Member

HTH. I was very impressed with the quality of the accessory kit, British made dontchaknow. Sheffield in fact 🙂

P20

I did convert one using the niteize kit. It is brighter and nicer but nowhere near as bright as newer dx jobs. I’ve now got torches for solarforce.hk. They’re well built and way, way brighter

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mini Mag lite LED conversion’ is closed to new replies.