• This topic has 55 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by IA.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Mini DH/large trail bike?
  • a11y

I've just toughened up my Giant Reign (not the X version). 6" rear travel. Marz 66SLs at 150mm for general use but adjust the neg air to allow 160mm if I'm solely doing DH-orientated tracks – helps slacken the head angle nicely although frame warrantied up to 150mm only I think (mine's 2nd hand anyway so no issue). Chain device that allows 2 rings up front made a big difference. Usually on single-ply high rollers but got dual-plys for bigger days. Weighs in at 35lbs.

Still a compromise and I might change to something bigger travel / more DH-orientated in future depending. Might be worth investigating a Reign or Reign X as they're usually cheap.

badfink
    Free Member

I got a Reign X0 back in 07 and it's a mini-DH bike dressed up in trail bike pantaloons.

It's begging for dual ply tyres, a shorter/wider stem/bar setup and burlier wheels. In it's stock guise (single plys, light wheels etc) it's still a bitch to drag around trail centres, and far too comfy to make them any fun. And conversely, without DH bits hanging off it, it's too lightweight to really enjoy a dh course.

I'd also say it's far too similar to your Intense. Just save your cash, whack on fat dualplys and a nice short stem/wide handlebar and give it a bash. If you like it, get a DH bike proper!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont bother with the DH tubes if you run dual ply tires, they arent needed and just add loads of extra weight.

GW
    Free Member

well that depends where you ride and what you weigh Mr Pain.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive put DH Maxxis tyres on and DH tubes, it only gets pushed back up the hill and less chance of flatting on the way down so eye ay arsed about the weight.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Trek Scratch
    or
    Trek Scratch?

richwales

those blades are well priced.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i do like the look of those solid-blades, but are they heavy/strong enough?

at 6.5lbs i have my doubts.

"xc whippet climbing" … ?

Lemurian
    Free Member

As mentioned before, can't go wrong with an sx trail. Whack the pro pedal on and it climbs well for a bike of it's size. Lapierre froggy looks pimp as, but haven't ridden one though.

backhander
    Free Member

Would a rear maxle not be a must?
    Not sure I want a QR 160-180mm bike.

IA

Had a QR DH bike for years, it was fine.

backhander
    Free Member

Fair enough, would you buy one now? (no cost saving)

dogmatix

theres a guy selling a blade on descent world, thats how come I knew about them…

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,284.0.html

no idea what they are like myself… think he is selling a S/M which looks very small… but he might know what they are like to ride…

looks to me like he has it setup for sosme serious riding…

they look like FSR…

depending on budget I would probably go for a trek scratch air… proven technology and they look as sorted as the rest of the range…

Shandy
    Free Member

I've got an SX Trail. Its great downhill but you'd get bored/pissed off pedalling it around the place. It started off 32lbs but the tyres were compromising the purpose of the bike, its maybe 36-36lbs with bigger tyres and tubes. It will winch up anything. I wanted it to be my only full susser but I will be getting a trail bike as well, I love the SX too much to get rid of it but it just won't pedal all day the way a 28lb bike with lighter tyres will.

IA

For a mini DH bike, yeah no probs with QR, You can always run a 10mm thru axle (same dropouts) if it bothers you.

On some bikes rear maxles unscrew themselves (ask anyone with a cove!).

For a full on DH bike, no. But then no proper DH bikes are QR these days anyhow (well ok, I know my intense and any other intense could run as such, but there's no point when it takes an axle too).

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Mini DH/large trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.