Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Mince Pies
  • thetallpaul
    Free Member

Tis the start of the season to pig out on Xmas fare, but the big question is which mince pies are best this year?
    The ones I’ve tried so far either have nowhere near enough filling in them, over thick pastry, or are relatively tasteless.
    Going to make my own at the weekend from Paul Hollywood’s recipe for comparison.

Help me STW, life’s too short to eat rubbish mince pies.

BTW tried Aldi, M&S and Tesco ones so far.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Waitrose.

lunge

Waitrose +1, in fact I shall be popping over at lunch and getting a couple I think.

kormoran
    Free Member

I always like a basic mince pie, none of this luxury nonsense. Keep it simple I reckon.

Madame made a mince tart thing last year, man that was awesome with a glass of pinged wine

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Brysons Brandy Viennese mince pies. No contest.
    For slumming it Sainsbury’s icing topped ones taste good.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Just the savoury ones ..any will do !

warton
    Free Member

Aldi almond topped Mince Tarts are the best shop bought that I’ve ever eaten. they are superb.

wallop

I made some mince twists last night – just get two sheets of ready made shortcrust, make a mincemeat ‘sandwich’ with them, then cut into long strips about 3cm wide. Twist them, pop them in the oven for 15 minutes and serve hot with a dollop of cream. YUM!

kormoran
    Free Member

Aldi almond topped Mince Tarts

That was the sort of thing Madame Kormoran made. Lush! 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Iceland, honestly. Get some 12% cider and a kebab pizza whilst you are there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/lidl-and-iceland-trump-harrods-in-christmas-taste-tests/

Yak

I did all this taste-the-lot last year. Unless the recipes have changed, here’s my list from best to worst:

Lidl ftw!
    Waitrose top-of-the-range ones. Expensive though.
    Tesco
    Sainsburys
    Waitrose bargain-bucket ones. Just utter shite and not really bargain bucket priced either.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I would say any of the above with brandy butter and custard on.
    So far I have been happily cracking on with Sainsburys made in store ones.

Experience has taught me to avoid anything at Christmas, particularly mince pies, that have Heston Blumenthal name on it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

BBC easy mince pie recipe

/thread

tthew

Quite a divisive topic, but we’re all agreed that any variety, no matter it’s source, preceded by the word ‘Mini’ will be shit? 😀

wallop

Custard!? CUSTARD!?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Morrison’s bakery ones.

Any that come in a box rather than from the store bakery tend to be very inferior – the exception to this (which surprised me, since most things with his name on are awful) is Heston’s ones at Waitrose.

Weasel
    Free Member

From my current testing..

Coop – very average, mini ones nothing to them at all
    Coop with flaky pastry – not bad. And to upset the masses what is the difference between this and an Eccles cake, same thing in my opinion
    [b]Sainsburys – very average
    Aldi specially selected with cognac – good
    Iceland – best so far

mike_p
    Free Member

Sainsburys usually do fresh baked flaky pastry mince pies and I usually eat quite a lot of them, with a lot of brandy butter

willej

Costco ones are great; big and have a layer of frangipane on top of the mince meat. Cheap too.

alanw2007

Walkers Glenfiddich whisky mince pies are lovely

cinnamon_girl

gluten-free offerings as rated by c_g

Sainsbury’s – won’t bother again.
    Tesco – not bad, they have a star as a lid so that means less pastry.

Anyone have g-f recommendations? Northwind – can you help? Really missing puff pastry mince pies.

martinhutch

Morrison’s bakery ones.

This. Simple but effective. No lah-de-dah posh peel, just nice bog standard filling in thin pastry.

I am forbidden from buying them because of the rate they disappear in my household.

johndoh
    Free Member

Mince pies – the only thing I don’t ‘get’ about Christmas. Odd – everyone else seems to love them.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not impressed with Tesco Finest. Nice enough pastry and filling, but not enough filling. You bite into it and half of it is empty space.

ahsat

Morrisons The Best are going down down well here. Some might think a little thick on pastry, but I really like pastry.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Second the Costco ones, very nice but different

downhillfast
    Free Member

Just eaten some Mr Kipling ones (BOGOF offer), not impressed tbh, fairly bland.
    Asda ones were better.
    Just sample from elsewhere this weekend.

What’s the standard beverage to accompany a mince pie?

martinhutch

Big mug of tea is the standard beverage to accompany two/three mince pies.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M makes the best mince pies…….FACT.

Drac

Aldi Sloe gin ones but they seem to be out. Waitrose are nothing special.

bobbyspangles

Make your own. Piece of piddle.
    Unbelievable easy mince pie recipe on BBC.

VanHalen

I’ve just had some sainsburys deep fill ones and they are fairly gopping. It’s that nasty floury chemically pastry. It’s not hard to make nice pastry.

I like making em and have the weekend lined up for it along with doing the tree, mulled wine etc etc. The only prob is I make loads and therefore eat loads.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I’m currently trying to stick to a resolution not to waste Xmas calories on sh1t mince pies and cr@ppy Quality Street type chocs. If I’m going to get fat, better make it worth my while.

jonnyboi

Home made, top with icing rather than pastry.

Cup of tea FTW

Rockape63
    Free Member

bad. And to upset the masses what is the difference between this and an Eccles cake, same thing in my opinion

Honestly Weasel, don’t be a heathen! Mince pies are made with mincemeat which includes spices, Eccles Cakes are made with dried fruit. No taste comparison!

carlosg
    Free Member

Fans of the Costco mince pies in our house. Took 4 trays of them into work for everyone last week , I was very popular and now have to go back before Christmas buy them for half the Postie’s at the office.

rmacattack
    Free Member

i have them with custard or cream, even ice cream or nude. cup of tea. daily intake of everything but i only eat about 10 a year.

hammerite
    Free Member

In case you want to trust someone else’s view… http://mincepiereviews.co.uk

I’ll eat a mince pie, but call me a heretic if you like, I much prefer stollen.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Made my own this weekend from a Paul Hollywood recipe in the Christmas Bake Off book.
    OMG so good. Will be making these again.
    The addition of finely diced apple and tangerine zest and flesh really added to the mincemeat, and the pastry was lovely and short.

Bregante

howsyourdad1 – Member
    Iceland, honestly.

He’s not wrong. My Mrs bought the Iceland ones based on a magazine review and they’re great.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Mince Pies’ is closed to new replies.