Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Mince Pies
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

Any with cheddar cheese snuck under the top pastry apparently? Anyone heard of such a thing. Must try it. I think

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The cheese thing sounds good. I’ve had mince pies on a cheese board before and it’s very nice. They’re also very good with Christmas pud.

Aldi ‘Specially selected’ ones are winning in our household. Too much of an air gap between the pie lid and mincemeat, but the mincemeat is very nice as is the pastry.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Cheese always with mince pies, they’re just not quite as good without, regardless of make. Especially those with really short pastry.

As with Christmas cake.

Think it’s a regional thing (Yorkshire here) as I often get strange looks…

(Or maybe I just deserve strange looks.. ) 😉

EDIT – Although Wensleydale not cheddar for me

mechanicaldope

Aldi frangipane for me. Delicious!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Waitrose essentials here. Bonus that they contain no animal fat, eggs or dairy either 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Needs a pic….

MrsSB made some last week and they lasted about 4 hours once the kids found them!
    Lovely thin and crispy pastry…. hmmm.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Look very nice. Nice looking mixer too.

Yak

Right then. I’m a bit behind, but I have just started my mince-pie Christmas run-in. Exciting stuff eh!
    But alas I have kicked off with a Tesco standard one. Filling was a bit tasteless and the pastry was okay, but thick. 5/10.

Sharkbait’s look awesome ^

Klunk
    Free Member

first 2 dozen of this years

another couple of dozen to make and a few more jam tarts

rOcKeTdOg

I had 35 last year, so far this year non.

Klunk
    Free Member

2 down and if I do say so myself **** superb 😀

twonks

Best I’ve had so far this year are Co-Ops shortcrust 4 in a plastic tray thing. Not the flaky ones, although they are nice, but the bog tastic nothing fancy 4 for 99p.

Although the standard issue Morrisons 6 in a box, turned upside down, prodded and nuked for 20 seconds before dropping cold single cream over are tough to beat 😆

mattyfez

Mince pies, along with Christmas pudding and turkey are sub standard foods.

Give me chicken, medeira cake and a selection of cheeses any day of the week.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I don’t normally eat sweet stuff, but I must admit the Mince Pies from Morrisons are rather nice.

But then again, I’ve only had these so far so nothing to compare them against.

But give me a Rapscallion from the Craven Bakery in Skipton any day of the week…

csb

Waitrose chocolate mince pies are disgusting. M&s frangipani ones are delicious.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Is anyone else incapable of eating a single mince pie? Open the box – all six smashed into my face in as many minutes.

Oh,

Waitrose

hatter

I may be a snob about many things but when it comes to mince pies I’m a filthy pleb and i’ll be propping up Mr Kipling’s share price again this year.

Have tried plenty of posh ones but nothing quite hits the spot like dirty Mr K’s

MoreCashThanDash

Aldi for the supermarket ones

We have an excellent farm shop locally – Croots – and their mince pies have blown everything else out the water this year.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I was sent some in the mail as a Christmas gift by a marketing agency I don’t use and have never heard of. They were indisputedly the best I’ve ever had by a wide margin, and even came with the recipe. Mince had a lot of orange zest in it if I remember correctly, but I’ve thrown the recipe away. Sorry about that – I’ll get my coat.

mogrim

Hard to get in Spain, and you can’t get the filling either to make your own 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Mince Pies’ is closed to new replies.