Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Mid travel FS 29r – what to add to my list
  • Russell96

All,

In advance of getting an annual bonus (I know risky thinking) I’m looking at a mid-travel full suspension 29er, budget £3k-ish, so far I’ve looked at online the following all with their various pros and cons..

Whyte T-129 SCR
    Orange Segment
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT
    Kona Process 111
    Scott Genius 9xx
    Trek Fuel Ex

Are there any others I should add to the consideration list before I start treking around the bike stores?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Transition Smuggler would be at the top of my list…

wiggles
    Free Member

Stumpjumper 29er

/thread

Russell96

Ooh good suggestion, big fan of horst link suspension, will add to the list.

wiggles
    Free Member

New models out now as well, so can get a low-ish spec carbon one for 3k or a higher specced ally one for 3.5k

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rocky Mountain Instinct

ben98
    Free Member

Salsa Horsethief

bigjim

+1 Smuggler, love mine

breninbeener

I have an Orange Gyro with a -2 angleset. So its v like a segment. There are deals to be had and its a great bike.

gemini29
    Free Member

Banshee Phantom

andycs

Pyga one ten 29.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Stumpjumper +1 here. Had a go on a friends. Super poppy for a big bike, well impressed

Clink

2nd the Salsa Horsethief.

MussEd
    Free Member

Turner Sultan?

z1ppy

Dont forget the Hammerhead Thumper for cheapness, Evil Following at the other end if the scale..
    Kona’s Satori (old stock admittedly but cheap), BMC trailfox, & On One Codine seem to slip into your ‘mid range’

LeeW

+1 for the Rock Mountain Instinct. I love mine.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Niner RIP9

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Camber or Stumpy evo

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Cannondale trigger from Paul’s cycles.

dickie
    Free Member

There’s a one ride old Yeti SB95C on ebay for about £1350 – frame only.

st

I’ve had a browser window open all weekend on the Canyon website. The Spectral 29 looks great.

frood
    Free Member

On-One Codeine? Quite a lot under budget… spare cash to take it on holiday somewhere?

chakaping
    Free Member

You could build an awesome Thumper or Codeine for £2k, let alone £3k.

And it’d probably be higher spec and have less annoying “standards” than a Stumpy or whatever.

TooTall
    Free Member

Turner Sultan. recently test rode a Stumpy Evo and it was a great bike. I then got straight on my 6 year old Sultan and removed the urge to buy the Evo because my bike was still as good on most fronts.

Russell96

Thanks all a few more to add to my pros/cons list, luckily I’m in an area with a multitude of bike shops to visit and my face is known in most of them which is handy when it comes to negotiations.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

You could build an awesome Thumper or Codeine for £2k

You certainly can 🙂 http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-87 (URL insert tool not working on iPad tonight)

r53sport
    Free Member

Please get in touch for any PYGA related questions or check out http://www.r53sport.com for further information

mikeep
    Free Member

Ibis Ripley.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If it were me I’d make them bikes damn well fit inside the car 🙂 safer for those motorway pitstops, a good bit cheaper on diesel, less to worry about, quieter and faster.

Gee76
    Free Member

Intense Spider Comp ain’t too rough and if you happen to fit those at crc you’d still have £1340 to spend on pikes, new xt group, wheels, etc.

Even better if you join British cycling you’d get another 10% off and have enough back for a reverb:)

Love mine, its snappy enough to be xc like in short travel mode and it’ll tackle plenty of rocks in long travel mode with those big wheels and pikes fitted.

TheWrongTrousers

Cube Stereo ?

Russell96

Thanks all keep em coming, I’m currently compiling them all in one big list with pros cons price etc then it’ll be time for test rides and haggling.

Shackleton

+1 for Banshee Phantom.

But then I would say that

justatheory
    Free Member

Specialized Camber Evo is worth checking out.

konanige

codeine again,

bigdaddy

Devinci atlas. Great bike, I’ve had one for 3 months now and completely love it…

renton
    Free Member

Codeine isn’t really mid travel though is it.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Hard to say really.

Spesh Enduro 29 is definitely long at 160 Codeine is 140 so same as a Trek Remedy 29er.

I guess I would normally say a mid travel 29er is 120-130 but would you really discount a bike because of 10mm front travel? Especially one that pedals so well like the codeine.

z1ppy

would you really discount a bike because of 10mm front travel?

Yep, I did in choosing my latest frame, otherwise I had a stupid amount to choose from.. needed to filter them somehow.
    Mid travel is 120-130mm, 140+ is long travel in my book.

davosaurusrex

@TooTall – (should you check back in on this thread) – what are the differences between the stumpy and the Sultan? I have an urge to have a go on a stumpy as I keep hearing how good they are but I love my Sultan. Angles don’t seem that different, chainstays are only a bit longer on the Turner. Mine is a 2012 DW, is yours one of the TNT links? Thinking of offset bushings for mine.

OP -Sultan is a good shout. Turner are knocking them out for a good price at the moment

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Mid travel FS 29r – what to add to my list’ is closed to new replies.