• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by beej.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Are all commuters fat and vertically challenged? Overtrouser help needed.
  • HarryTuttle

I need some new overtrousers for my winter commute, easy enough you’d think….

I have a 30″ waist but anything less than 32″ leg will not reach my shoes. I’ve spent the last hour on the web and found out the following:

– Most websites helpfully tell me 30-31″is a small, but no leg length.
    – a “regular” small is lucky to get 30″ leg.
    – a 33 inch leg is XL and that’d be clown fit on me.

How hard can it be to buy some waterproof overtrousers?

So over to you; I know there are other people my shape out there, what fits? Preferably not too expensive. I’d just go to a shop and try them on but I don’t have a free day till November…..

breadcrumb

I got some Karrimor over-trousers from sports direct. I’m a 32″ waist so medium but the leg length is very generous.

Not 100% waterproof but it’s got to be very wet for a good while for them to wet through.

alexpalacefan

I am.

APF

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustySpanner

Me too.
    🙂

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

RAF gortex ebay loads of long leg lengths, £20

jonba
    Free Member

My endura ones are ok – can’t actually remember the model. I still think they are a large and about 4″ too big around the waste but they have a draw chord.

This isn’t just trousers, this is all clothes. I’ve never understood why if you are taller you are expected to be fatter?

MoreCashThanDash

Reported to the mods on behalf of all us fat and vertically challenged commuters!

HarryTuttle

Thanks for the suggestions so far, the RAF goretex might be interesting.

Sorry about the fat comment, I was somewhat frustrated that what should be easy had taken so long with no success. I know I’m slimmer than average but I’m not exactly a freak.

Jonba’s right on the money. I have similar issue with trousers for the office, the low point was being told in a department store that they “don’t do my size in the mens department, had I tried the ‘back to school’ range?”. I’m in my f****** forties not going back to school!

Shred
    Free Member

I use some Altura night vision. They have an extra flap at the bottom to cover your shoes which makes them longer.

Bib tights are even more impossible to find for the long of leg.

convert

What are you wearing under our overtrousers?

Never sure why people wear these biking. If wearing your normal clobber don’t you just fug up and get there damp and horrible. If wearing cycle specific kit why not just let it get wet – kind of designed to and to be honest even the most breathable waterproof leave you minging if your are putting a reasonable effort in.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

RAF gortex seems to be OK, they have open pockets (they don’t let water in?) Seems to work well as vents

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have some old North Face paclite waterproof trousers that have served me well.

I think they are medium and the leg is plenty long enough for me with a 32inch inseam. Plus the leg ends have zips so I can open them up to get them over my cycling boots (Shimano MT51) mid-ride when it starts raining.

They seem durable enough as trousers (my jackets have always started to delaminate after 1.5 years due to bag straps rubbing), and pretty breathable so I don’t ever remember suffering with sweaty work trousers.

I wore them for the whole 30+ mile ride home in the rain (on my Birdy folder) one night after a train suicide and they were fine.

The Berghaus ones are probably as good.

m360
    Free Member

Berghaus Deluge pants come in long leg lengths. Decent enough for the money and perfectly fine for commuting.

Convert – if it’s properly lashing down and you don’t have facilities to get showered/dried at work then overtrousers/shell jacket and slowing down to regulate your temperature is the only option really.

diplomatt
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.keela.co.uk – got some of their softshell trousers and they’re great – can pick waist and leg sizes

IA

Altura used to make long ones, that’s what I have (35″ leg) baggy waist but they have a belt built in.

However, I hardly ever wear them – full length mudguards mean it’s mostly fine, and if it’s tipping it down I ride in wearing shorts and swap my trews in the bogs.

STATO
    Free Member

If wearing cycle specific kit why not just let it get wet – kind of designed to and to be honest even the most breathable waterproof leave you minging if your are putting a reasonable effort in.

For me its not about getting wet (tho that can be a factor if you have a long commute in the cold) but more about keeping the road crap off you. I ride waterproof shorts most of the time (as i havnt found trousers long enough) and if there is a lot of water on the ground the flith that ends up on your legs is pretty ming, even with full guards you get still get spray off passing cars.

HarryTuttle

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreaciated.

@ convert, my commute is only short 10-15 minutes but no shower facilites so in the winter the easyist solution is waterproofs when it rains. Riding home on the other hand I’d agree with you and not worry about the rain.

edhornby

I’ve tried it but it’s a nightmare in full waterproofs

If I were you I’d have some waterproof shorts and take dry trousers, socks pants in a bag, the shoes live under the desk….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve tried it but it’s a nightmare in full waterproofs

don’t agree if you use one of the lightweight waterproof shells – which those RAF goretexes are not likely to be.

beej

These come in different leg lengths, just noticed my old pair of Alturas are falling apart so went investigating:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-flashlight-waterproof-overtrouser/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Are all commuters fat and vertically challenged? Overtrouser help needed.’ is closed to new replies.