Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Messenger bag – help me decide …
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

I can’t decide as I am completely knackered from overtime …

I am trying to decide which messenger bag to get as I have two to choose from below.

Intended usage – carrying documents files and supermarket shopping … :mrgreen:

North face base camp messenger bag – large
    STW Classified 1

Otlieb messenger bag. zip city 23l
    STW Classified 2

Advice welcome.

Cheers

🙁

donks
    Free Member

The North face is ok but I much preferred my Crumpler wonder weenie. The shoulder strap just doesn’t quite sit right and although bigger than the crumpler i can’t fit as much in?

chewkw
    Free Member

Cheers donks.

The NF although is large is only 18L.

Any idea about Otlieb?

Anyone?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ortlieb kit is very high quality, but are you sure you want to go down the fakenger route?

Rucksacks are a bit more practical and back friendly IMHO. But if you must, check out bagaboo. Also consider the extra strap to stop the thing swinging around you when on the bike.

pinches
    Free Member

i bought a huge Timbuk2 one for college and like it, like others have said though when you’ve got stuff in it it’s not the most comfortable thing on your back, but the extra strap helps with support.

I also have one of these ortliebs which is possibly one of the most comfortable bags i’ve used, its just not big enough and i didn’t like the bigger version with WATERPROOF MESSENGER plastered all over it

chewkw
    Free Member

Herman Shake,

No fakenger route here as I got Eastpack or whatever it called rucksack for riding.

This one is mainly for carrying files or supermarket shopping …

Both got extra strap but how practical or good I don’t know.

Any more advice? Anyone.

🙂

p/s: for office use as well …

pp/s: pinches, I got a rucksack at the moment …

tonyplym
    Free Member

This might be worth a look – cracking price, and if its anything like their kit bags it’ll be good-for-purpose.

chewkw
    Free Member

tonyplym,

Looks good but think it might be smaller than the two above.

I am tilting towards Ortlieb at the moment but somehow the zip on their messenger bags needs to use silicon lubricant …

Very different design to NF as it only has a zip at the top without the bag top cover.

TooTall
    Free Member

I have the NF bag and, whilst it is OK, I don’t like riding with it full for my 5 mile commute – it just isn’t comfortable. It is a good office bag and cabin use for travel, but I don’t get on with it on a bike.

I have the bigger bag pinches didn’t like! Then again, it did only cost me £50 on Ebay. Much easier and more comfortable to use.

The ‘proper’ messenger bags are more comfortable than those you’ve looked at as they shape to your body a bit better. I’d have a bagaboo if I was richer than I am now.

andybach
    Free Member

I’ve got a Patagonia Half Mass – not used it that much on the bike but i use it for everything else and is my main bag for work and carry-on when travelling.

It is very simple design but it works perfectly for me – and it seems incredibly robust – regularly filled it with so much that i can only just carry it but also easy to “cinch” it smaller.

Internal lap top bag which is suspended within the main bag is very clever. Kept my work laptop safe whilst bouncing round Ghana for a month.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patagonia-48274-Half-Mass-Bag-Rhubarb/dp/B004HTWTZY/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1329732692&sr=1-1

Haze

Another one to consider?

Bought for the commute since I had to carry a 17″ laptop and drawings etc.

Didn’t really get on with it but I think that’s down to me just not liking the weight distribution of messenger bags. Just couldn’t get it sit where I wanted it, probably down to being so used to the rucksack that went before it.

Anyhow, you may be different. It’s been a pretty decent bag off the bike!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It wasn’t cheap, granted, but it is a thing of beauty…

Gotta say I love my Mission Workshop Shed..

Mission Workshop

chewkw
    Free Member

Wow … some of the messenger bags are very nice but the price is not so as I want them cheap and good.

Well if I earn my living as a bike courier then the more expensive ones might be the choice.

okay … I’ve made up my mind and will go for …

Otlieb messenger bag. zip city 23l

The reasons being:

1. Larger at 23L instead of 18L.
    2. Does not look like conventional messenger bag.
    3. Without top cover but time will tell if this is a good idea.
    4. Material is on level par with others I guess.
    5. Newer …
    6. Apparently DJs like them … hmmm … I am don’t like music.

🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

I love my Chrome messanger bag like this one. Completely waterproof and big enough to get almost anything in it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Roter Stern – Member

I love my Chrome messanger bag …

Yes, that would probably be the one if I were to become a courier guy as I like their seatbelt buckle but I would probably change it to flight seatbelt buckle.

🙂

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Have had my Manhattan Portage Europa for 6 years now, daily use and not a mark on it.

http://www.manhattanportage.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=114

However, I note that they’re £89 now. I ordered mine direct from MH (before they had a UK webstore) and only paid £50!

chewkw
    Free Member

bravohotel9er – Member

However, I note that they’re £89 now. I ordered mine direct from MH (before they had a UK webstore) and only paid £50!

I wonder if it is the value of £ that is decreasing or the cost of production keeps increasing …

The cheapest I can find is NF medium size for £55 at my local NF store here.

CountZero

Saw these mentioned in the paper today: http://sourcedlife.co.uk/products-page/messenger-bags/messenger-bag-15
    Recycled truck tarp and seatbelt straps, £35. Maybe smaller than you want, but worth looking at, and a nice hard wearing bag.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Messenger bag – help me decide …’ is closed to new replies.