Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Merlin Wheel builds
  • Xan
    Free Member

Thinking about gettin rid of the standard wheels on me Spesh FSR XC, purely because I have heard some bad reports about the standard ones, and the fact that the rears are starting to “grumble” a bit. Looking on Merlins website I see that they do a Hope pro II and Mavic XC717 build for £240. I know the pro II are really good hubs and XC717 are OK rims but what are Merlins wheel building skills like. My concern is that these are probably built in built thus quality might not be as good. Also seams really cheap for a build of this spec, or is this just standard. Also looked at XT/XC717 build but was adviced this weekend by someone at Glentress that Pro II are so much better. Is this right, or is it just personal choice.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve had no dramas with my Pro 11s that Merlin built up for me, and they have had my 18 stone bulk bounced around on them for over a year now…

retro83
    Free Member

Never had any problems with Merlin wheels, always been very happy with them.

spacecadett
    Free Member

Merlin wheels are top drawer.

Hope hubs are great quality and are easily servicable. A good choice if you can cope with the sound of the freehub.

kimbers

pro IIs are more versatile, should you want to change axle size 10mmm/12mm/qr rear, 9mm/15mm/20mm/qr front

servicing hopes is a doddle, maintaining cup and cone bearings is a right pain in the ass ime

and another thumbs up for merlin wheel builds

Junkyard
    Free Member

all wheels are hand built in house.
    Consistently good reports from fellow MTB’ers and press alike
    Made their reputaion just from wheels

TomB

My merlin wheels have stayed true, untouched, for 4 years. Recommended.

grumm
    Free Member

Got a Pro II and 719 combo from Merlin, seems very good.

One thing to bear in mind is you might need a new cassette with alloy carrier, as steel only ones eat into the pro freehub.

jambon
    Free Member

Had an 819 on Pro II (front) built over a year ago. Really good at 1st but the nipples keep undoing, very rapidly, so some spokes will completely undo during one ride. Can’t help but think that Merlin didn’t put any spoke-lock on the threads when they built it. Good job the 819’s are bomb-proof otherwise I could have had some real problems.

thomthumb
    Free Member

merlin wheels are ace. my first set where thrown out last year because they had nowhere to go not because they were broken – lasted 10+ years.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I have had problems with a Merlin built rear wheel that has needed adjustment a couple of times after loosing tension but that does seem to be the exception.

If I was replacing my wheels I’d probably get them from wheelpro £285 for Pro2 on ZTR355 or ZTR Flow. Richard has as excellent reputation as a wheel builder is regularly recommended on here (although I haven’t tried them and am only passing on other peoples recommendations).

Xan
    Free Member

sounds like 1 Merlin wheel build could be coming my way. Just need to speak nice to the “boss” and pursuade her that I need to spend more money on my bike. Although I think I’m at 2k since xmas, so I hope she isn’t adding it all up lol.

jonjones13
    Free Member

How much do Merlin wheel builds cost by the way ?

jambon
    Free Member

Well I’m glad to see my post was well heeded.

Personally, I’d go for a trusted LBS every time as they’ll re-true it for free if it goes out of whack within the 1st few months.

I’m stuck with a wheel that my LBS won’t touch because Merlin built it.

Your money though.

Xan
    Free Member

think they take £15 per wheel to build. The package I am looking at is this months offer (although I think its been in the magazines for a few months now) They will build a wheel to your spec, but I think the packages work out cheaper.

grumm
    Free Member

No need to sulk jambon – sorry you had a bad experience but others have had good ones.

Why won’t your LBS touch it just because they didn’t build it?

Xan
    Free Member

Jambon I did tkae your comment on board and appreciate your feedback , however I also have taken on board the other 9 good/excellent reports. No matter who you go to you are going to get bad feedback, however if you give the shop the chance to fix it there should be no issues.

Did speak to my LBS for this build they want a heck of alot more of my hard earned cash, and I am not sure their reputation is as good. My LBS want nearly £180 for a XT/XC717 build which is only £130 from Merlin.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

jambon – behave, did you call Merlin? I’ve been buying wheels from them since I was a kid. Every wheel has been amazing but there’s always going to be a percentage that gets through the net. Ring them up and see if they’ll go halfway with you for a new wheel or fix the existing wheel.

The latest I have had are XT on DT 4.1s and have lasted really well – 4 years and I use them at least twice a week on pretty brutal stuff (my bearings are gone now though but I think that’s pretty good). Friends have Hopes and have had a hellish time with cassettes digging into the Freehub body.

jambon
    Free Member

Why should they? I wouldn’t. And I’m not sulking. I’ll be living in Spain on the edge of a mountainous Natural Park in 2 weeks, bring it on!

I hope your wheels are good, the money you save will be lost PDQ if they’re not.

I just really like good Local Bike Shops and the extra cost is generally worth it when it comes to stuff you can’t easily do at home without loads of tools and training.

J x

BoardinBob

Paul, Wheelcraft is the usual recommendation round our way

http://daniel.prescott.googlepages.com/

Everyone raves about them

leftyboy
    Free Member

jambon – find another LBS they can’t expect you to buy everything from them!

thomthumb
    Free Member

won’t touch because Merlin built it.

because it’s merlin or because it’s not them?

the difference is vast.

Xan
    Free Member

cheers Bob, I’ll have a look at them. Might nip to the shop at the weekend and see what they have.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IMO any shop that won’t touch a wheel cos someone else built it is taking the ****, there should be no issues in re-tensioning the wheel.

Xan
    Free Member

I agree with you al. At teh end of teh day, you run a business money is money. If you keep turning people away like that your never going to increase your customer base. One of my LBS are like that, and I now onloy use them when I really need to.

Joxster
    Free Member

I’m having to rebuild a friends wheel that a bike shop replaced four spokes but just put them in without lacing them up.

chunkychew
    Free Member

Merlin great.

Stif also great

Junkyard
    Free Member

they are my LBS jambon

Wally

I have 2 pairs of 717 pro2 from merlin . Both ace.

garnyam
    Free Member

819’s with pro11 hubs from Merlin built with wrong size nipples, they keep slackening off, should have got onto them about it 😕

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I find the bearings in pro2 front hubs don’t last too well. They are very easy to change bearings so it’s not too much of an issue. The rear hubs are very loud, i’m not a fan.

I have an 5 year old set of merlin wheels, they have been fine. I also have lots of wheels from Wheelcraft. They have all been excellent and only very slightly more expensive. Merlin won’t make you coffee or give you jaffa cakes.

fizzer
    Free Member

I have 717 on XCs and 717s on Pro lls both from Merlin. No problems at all. Pro ll is loud but I quite like it.

Jimmer
    Free Member

Had Merlin wheels from the year dot, always excellent, still running some d521’s from 12 years ago, still nice and true and they haven’t had a n easy life!

Jambon – Your local bike shop sounds great – guessing they wouldn’t service my forks or run any repairs seings as though it’s not from them.

GeForceJunky

My Merlin wheels are sweet, they are the same Pro 2 on Mavic 717 build and have survived all the 4x and dirt jumping abuse I’ve thrown at them. The other option is a set of Hope Hoops with Dt 4.2s, which davehinde cycles were doing for 220.

topangarider
    Free Member

Merlin = top wheels

wellhung
    Free Member

My Merlin wheels are sweet, they are the same Pro 2 on Mavic 717 build and have survived all the 4x and dirt jumping abuse I’ve thrown at them. The other option is a set of Hope Hoops with Dt 4.2s, which davehinde cycles were doing for 220

Dave Hinde has a very bad reputation for customer service and yes i have had experience of their service it is the worst i’ve ever had.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I have 4 pairs of wheels from Merlin – between 3 and 5 years old. 2 sets are XT / Mavic 717s (I like cup and cone!) and 2 heavier sets for our multibike household. No problems at all with them.

The only issue I did have was with the parcel carrier they used at the time who had very few bases for collecting from and only delivered in my area twice a week at silly times. In the end I did a 100 mile round trip to collect them from the nearest branch of carrier. Hopefully they use someone else by now as it was a bit of a drag!

But good wheels!

barrykellett
    Free Member

Why not build them yourself?

Burchy1
    Free Member

my merlin wheel is straight and true after a fair bit of abuse (719 on a XT rear hub). I’d definately recommend a ProII over a XT though as the cones came loose on mine a couple of times which although not difficult to fix is a PITA.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

Dave Hinde has a very bad reputation for customer service and yes i have had experience of their service it is the worst i’ve ever had.

I also have experienced the “Hinde” service… I am telling you, you DO NOT want to go there… Hinde takes your money and DOES NOT deliver anything (but abuse)… then lies about the components are on there way or lost in transit… finally when nothing shows up, then gives you abuse for asking where they are and then admits they have not been sent and are waiting for stock… then gives you abuse asking for your money back. “Hinde” by name, “Arse” by nature.

Merlin great shop !!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Wheel builds’ is closed to new replies.