Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mendips – how much snow, how rideable?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Looking to get out from Bristol for a few hours tomorrow and thinking the Mendips or maybe Forest of Dean. We rode Winlatter a couple of times last week and dont really want any more trail centre action, so wont be going to Cwmcarn.

How's the top of Blackdown, Rowberry DH runs, Limestone Link etc?

cheers

Candodavid
    Free Member

Mendips…..Don't waste time/petrol/energy

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Is that your personal opinion of the area generally, or just under the current conditions?

Maybe I'll pull on my red socks and had out rambling instead.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A bunch of us ride there all the time, and Cando also crosses the 'Dips most days to work. I'd be inclined to believe him. We're cancelling our ride up there tomorrow anyway.

I'll be out on foot instead for a couple of hours.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The roads in the Forest of Dean of pretty bad my mate only went home yesterday spent two days staying in Cheltenham.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had some simple torchlit fun this evening on tracks near and around Wells, mainly because they are reasonably well trodden down. The snow here is now only 3.5" deep now, except where drifted, and apart from being hard-work, I've had no problems pedalling gentler inclines.

I'm not sure about the condition of the Burrington Combe road for driving which puts me off. Was thinking about cycling up to Stockhill Wood for a play and then a pint in the Hunters' Lodge – my theory being that it's also trodden. But unless you've tried the trails, it's all guesswork really.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks. thought it might get easier after getting back from the Lakes! Might go climbing in the Beacons instead.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Went up there today on foot. Max snow depth is bout 4 inches, except where its drifted, which about 9inches, although there are few drifts. There's been plenty of traffic and all the main routes are packed down. In the woods, snow penetration is less and its thinner on the ground. There some thick and slippery ice in the lower reaches of Rowberrow where water usually runs off the trail, but its all pretty rideable.

Wish I'd taken my bike with its new studded tyres TBH!

Clink

How's the hand now??

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thinking of getting it xrayed!

One minute its fine, one minute is bloody agony!

Ah, well done Buzz!

daved
    Free Member

Its a bit of work out, but rideable. If you ride from the Beacon directly to Elick farm, watch out for usual bog areas which have morphed into gigantic slabs of ice thinly covered in snow.

Dave

steved

DD – you been cheating?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mendips – how much snow, how rideable?’ is closed to new replies.